Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are 9mmMajor, 38super, etc..."major" if not .40 min. calib

Niltreth

Okay I understand that a 9 millimeter can be loaded to the major power factor, but how does it get by the .40 minimum caliber requirement for major?

Still trying to get a handle on all this, because it's right now looking like I'm an old guy that's going to shoot 9 millimeter (likely my LEM trigger HK or Walther...with a red-dot) "budget gun" in open because my eyes need a red-dot to see.

But in the back of my mind I'm also debating a .40 (a striker of some kind, 5" with comp) and my buddy has started giving me his brass. :-)

Will 9mm "minor" be a HUGE issue in Open...or will it be better in the long run because it will force me to take the time to try and hit A-A's?

Edited by Niltreth

Because people like arbitrary rules.

LOL!

The one that got me was the production list! :-\

I love my Walther PPX with the LEM trigger. But I can't shoot production with it because it's not on the USPSA production list...even though it's on the IPSC production list. WTH.

So I bought an HK P30 and now that da/sa trigger has me all messed up. (I shoulda got the HK's LEM trigger...but I think theres a LEM CONVERSION kit for it (the P30)).

And I got a Walther P22 to practice with, but I may just use it to shoot steel with for a while till I get more experience. Anyone know of a small enough (tiny) reflex sight I can put on a little Walther P22? (frame not slide).

Edited by Niltreth

Theres production optics, or whatever name they decided to give it, available. Basically production rules but you can put as slide mounted optic on your pistol. Minor, 10 rd max, you know production optics.

Sorry this is off topic but can you point me to those rules? I have an M&P with a RMR sight on it because I bought it before I knew what I was doing. If that's got a place to go shoot, that'd be awesome.

Theres production optics, or whatever name they decided to give it, available. Basically production rules but you can put as slide mounted optic on your pistol. Minor, 10 rd max, you know production optics.

Sorry this is off topic but can you point me to those rules? I have an M&P with a RMR sight on it because I bought it before I knew what I was doing. If that's got a place to go shoot, that'd be awesome.

http://uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?Appendix-D7-Carry-Optics---Provisional-Released-215

+1. Very smart, economical idea. Break into OPEN, easily. Good luck with it.

Thank you HPJ!

The 1911 platform doesn't fit me right so no 1911 race guns for me.

I was raised on revolvers and a BHP, and my Browning High power fits me perfect...but is not on the production list, etc. It's excluded from most every category for one reason or another.

Then, I also love my Walther PPX (and its a tack-driver), but for some mysterious reason is excluded from USPSA production even though it IS approved under IPSC production.

I think Im just going to throw a cheap $50 red-dot on my $270 Walther P22 (and a $14 optic mount)...and go have some FUN shooting STEEL!

Edited by Niltreth

If the Walther PPX is not on the list then it's either because the gun does not meet the requirements of the division or they have not submitted the necessary paperwork to USPSA. You may want to contact Walther and ask them.

Edited by BritinUSA

If the Walther PPX is not on the list then it's either because the gun does not meet the requirements of the division or they have not submitted the necessary paperwork to USPSA. You may want to contact Walther and ask them.

No, my point is the PPX "meets the requirements of the PRODUCTION division" for IPSC, but not for USPSA. Isn't USPSA the "American arm" of IPSC? Seems fishy to me. Do we still have IPSC events in the USA? I could shoot production there, with the PPX, I guess.

And, I thought "OPEN" was pretty much for Race Guns...but I'm also starting to see that "open" is also where old guys like me (who can't see the front sight with their dominant eye anymore) go to shoot.

Edited by Niltreth

Is this NEW?

I haven't read or heard about this. But it's exactly what I'm talking about...instead of having to run 9mm minor in the open class.

It's called Carry Optics, rules are here : http://www.uspsa.org...al-Released-215

Thank you, BritinUSA !

So, let me get this straight...

I can (now) shoot an optic in production (oh, I mean "carry optic")... AS LONG AS ...it's a $300ish "slide mounted" optic.

No $85 "frame mount" Optics allowed......again...to me it all seems pretty questionable.

Edited by Niltreth