Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FYI if your new to dillon

Explosions are a real concern in dust collection systems at wood working shops...

Different situations, collection systems in wood shops can generate static electricity in the piping. There's a whole lot more volume of combustible wood dust and chips. They need to be grounded. My system is constructed of 6 and 4 inch metal piping that has a jumper wire to ground where the piping meets the motor. What's being talked about here is a few particles of gunpowder and if it can be ignited by the shop vac. I don't worry about it (and yes, I've had to dig through the shop vac to find the pins, now I have a tiny, dedicated reloading bench, shop vac so it's not so nasty).

Have not sucked up the pins or set off powder but I did set off a primer when it was getting sucked up by my dyson vac which has a powered brush wheel in its vac head. I think just the pressure of the stiff bristles pushing the primer into the carpet was enough to set it off. It was federal spp after all.

I don't see how that could possibly fire a loose primer (I could be wrong), I'd guess a static charge possibly?

all I can think is that it was hit by one of the bristles in the right spot. that brush bar is spinning at pretty decent RPM and the bristles are very stiff. so when spinning one could deliver a decent whack to the primer. the fact is it went off just in the head against the floor. I agree it seems unlikely but it definitely went off. It surprised me too being on a carpeted floor.

one of these things dyson-dc65-2.jpg

Edited by BeerBaron

Have not sucked up the pins or set off powder but I did set off a primer when it was getting sucked up by my dyson vac which has a powered brush wheel in its vac head. I think just the pressure of the stiff bristles pushing the primer into the carpet was enough to set it off. It was federal spp after all.

I don't see how that could possibly fire a loose primer (I could be wrong), I'd guess a static charge possibly?

all I can think is that it was hit by one of the bristles in the right spot. that brush bar is spinning at pretty decent RPM and the bristles are very stiff. so when spinning one could deliver a decent whack to the primer. the fact is it went off just in the head against the floor. I agree it seems unlikely but it definitely went off. It surprised me too being on a carpeted floor.

one of these things dyson-dc65-2.jpg

I have three of them so I am familiar, but I still don't think a spinning bristle could strike the end of a primer with enough force to ignite, especially a loose primer that isn't seated so the anvil isn't held in place. Primers that aren't seated completely in the primer pocket won't ignite many times, I don't see how a loose one is going to ignite from a vacuum bristle. I'll still say it got ignited from the open side of the primer, potentially by static electricity or some type of spark.

Have you ever gotten a locator pin down the center channel for that big bolt that holds the shellplate?

No but I have dropped the detent ball down there and that was a pain haha.

That's why I keep a strong little magnet on a paper clip.

It probably wasn't set off by a bristle.

Ever heard the what a penny does when picked up in a vacuum cleaner with a brush and beater bar?

I've seen a broken housing from a penny rattling around in the brush area.

It acts like a high speed pinball machine.

fair enough. all I know for sure is it went boom in the brush head! anything beyond that is speculation on my part. it made a great noise, a tiny bit of smoke and a very tiny singe mark but nothing beyond that.

Agreed, I bet it was enlightening to say the least.

Have you ever gotten a locator pin down the center channel for that big bolt that holds the shellplate?

No but I have dropped the detent ball down there and that was a pain haha.

That's why I keep a strong little magnet on a paper clip.

Haha yeah but I have one or those low mass (aka cheap plastic balls). Almost ended up leaving it down there and switching back to the normal dillon ball.

• 2 weeks later...