Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft Keymod Rail Panels for "Cushioned" Support Shooting?

jkrispies

I just picked up a Keymod rail, and I'd like to get some sort of a soft/cushioned rail panel to run across the bottom (and possibly sides) to provide at least a small degree of cushioning when firing off a table. I'm less concerned about the sides, as I can use my hand in a C-clamp for that. However, I'm thinking that for shooting off a table with the handguard lying flat across the surface, something already on the handguard might be preferable for providing vibration dampening.

I'm not really interested in a BT53 SILO, but I'm looking for something that utilizes the same concept without the extreme of a heavy beanbag: just a softer rubber that will provide some vibration dampening between the gun and a hard surface.

I know ERGO and BCM sell Keymod panels for a good price, but I've yet to feel them (at least in Keymod for the ERGO), and from reading their descriptions online I suspect they're probably too hard for my intended purpose. Any ideas?

Are you trying to cushion the handguard or the table?

I'm looking to attach a cushioned surface to the hand guard. I re-read and it sounds confusing with me referencing the BT53 SILO-- that is actually a beenbag that attacheds to a handguard's picatinny rail. There's some open rifle shooters who use them... I'm not sure if it's legal for Tac-Optics (or whatever it's called this week) which I shoot, but it adds probably a 1/2 pound to the gun after you figure in the picatinny rail, so I'm not interested in it for that reason. Well, that and the price tag!

Honestly, some rail panels made with "mushy" rubber would be perfect, I think.

Here's a link to the BT53 for those who are interested: http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=133

Edited by jkrispies

I don't think solid rubber could replicate the "dead blow" effect of the beanbag, at least not something thin enough to be keymod. I could see a giant chunk of sorbothane serving the desired purpose, but you can't really substitute mass with thin (however mushy) covers.

Then again, I'm assuming you're talking about a compensated .223 rifle. Maybe a little rubber would be enough to keep a hold on a table.

talk to AP custom. They have keymod or mlock on their rails and a soft insert that should be just what you're looking for. Just talked to them about it at Gen III this weekend.

Larry, thanks for the info-- I'll send them an email right now.

I don't think solid rubber could replicate the "dead blow" effect of the beanbag, at least not something thin enough to be keymod. I could see a giant chunk of sorbothane serving the desired purpose, but you can't really substitute mass with thin (however mushy) covers.

Then again, I'm assuming you're talking about a compensated .223 rifle. Maybe a little rubber would be enough to keep a hold on a table.

Yes, it's a compensated .223. I realize that it's nothing like shooting off a bag, etc., but I also figure a little bit of something should provide a slight benefit over just shooting off the solid handguard. If we're only talking about adding an ounce or two, I think it's worth experimenting.

• 1 month later...

I've taken to wrapping my handguard (a CF one, but irrelevant really) in self-adhering bandage. You can find it in tan and tactical black at most large pharmacies, or go to amazon and search "vet-wrap" and find it in every day-glow color you want.

The reason I've gone down this path is actually lateral and bottom friction. I found that for me certain surfaces were very difficult to get the gun stabilized specially if the surface was slightly angled and I tried pushing against it. The slick CF would slip and rotate. The soft but textured bandage almost glues the handguard to whatever you push it against, and it is pretty nice to grip as well.

It seems resistant to heat, if it gets dirty or damage it is just a couple of bucks and 3 min to replace it.

I've taken to wrapping my handguard (a CF one, but irrelevant really) in self-adhering bandage. You can find it in tan and tactical black at most large pharmacies, or go to amazon and search "vet-wrap" and find it in every day-glow color you want.

The reason I've gone down this path is actually lateral and bottom friction. I found that for me certain surfaces were very difficult to get the gun stabilized specially if the surface was slightly angled and I tried pushing against it. The slick CF would slip and rotate. The soft but textured bandage almost glues the handguard to whatever you push it against, and it is pretty nice to grip as well.

It seems resistant to heat, if it gets dirty or damage it is just a couple of bucks and 3 min to replace it.

Gamer! Just kidding. That is a cool idea Vlad. Edited by bmiller

• 2 weeks later...

A small update for anybody interested. On Tuesday last week I was able to sneak away from work early enough to beat sundown at the range-- an unfortunately rare gift this time of year. I slow fired 100+ rounds at the bench (in groups of 5 rounds apiece) while I got my BUIS finally sighted in and chronographed my 55 and 77 grain loads as I suffer the wait for my new scope to arrive. The paracord threads showed no heat damage that I can see. It was slow fire, so not a final test, but a start.

I think you will be fine. At one point many moons ago, I had a sling mount made from 550 cord on an issue m4 wrapped behind the slip ring. This lasted 15 months being carried everyday shot almost daily and never melted.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk