Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm KKM barrel bullet preference

DDustin

I just got a 5" 9mm KKM barrel for my new competition build and I'm about to order some more ammo. For those that run a KKM barrel, what bullet weight does it seem to like best?

Edited by DDustin

I've run thousands of both 147 and 135. Can't really tell a difference accuracy wise between the two. I will say that the kkm barrel /chamber seems to be forgiving and I've had zero issues running my reloads through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the first question is "What kind of shooting are you going to do?" The answer to that will guide you in choosing a bullet (but looking at your post it seems to indicate that you are looking for loaded ammo rather than bullets). One other thing to consider is that S&W changed the twist rate in their barrels from ~18:1 to 10:1 to stabilize heavier bullets (135 and up). The KKM barrel is a 18:1 barrel so if S&W is correct in it's logic, a KKM barrel would perform better with a lighter bullet. Then there's the question of power factor...................................... :goof:

I shoot 3 gun with 9mm and occasionally USPSA but I have a stock 40 barrel for USPSA where power factor matters. Also no I wont be loading these. I still can't find decent local sources for powder and primers.

According to the email I got back from KKM, they say that 115gr seems to do the best. I'm not a fan of going that light especially when I run into the occasional 100yrd pistol steel but with all the M&P accuracy horror stories out there I'm more inclined to listen to them, at least for the first batch of ammo.

• 3 weeks later...