Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

short barrel load ?

rustybayonet

If this question is too technical for this forum lmk. In the 9mm form it seem to difficult.

Question: loading short barrel ammo is it better to go heavy or lite on bullet. Is it better to go high or low on the powder charge. If you say all ammo is the same, you need to hang out with the clowns on 9mm forum.

You know those same clowns are the guys who will read this new post right? Now you won't get any responses. I also don't think anyone can give you a one size fits all answer to your question, because like you said in your other thread, all guns are different. There may be a science to your short barrel loading, but till you figure the science out your best bet is probably good old fashioned experimentation.

Well I guess the real question is what do you mean by best? You looking for max performance? Low flash? Overall accuracy?

What are you gonna be shooting with this load? Paper? Steel? ect,

tonythetiger is right there is no one size fits all. What works in your gun might not work in others. If you give some more info that would help out a lot, and don't say all of the above. You are gonna have to make sacrifices in some categories to improve others, there is no such thing as a perfect load.

Other posters are exactly right. The original post is not nearly "technical" enough to allow others to respond. To start with in some circles a "short barrel" is 14". Are you talking pistol or SBR (short barrel rifle)?

What do you mean by "high or low on the powder charge"? With the massive selection of powders on the market you can load 3 grain of one powder and get the same results as 8 grains of a different type of powder. Maybe this question should be asked in muzzle velocity or ft per second through a chronograph.

Add to this the wide range of bullet designs and weights for the 9 mm, and more importantly the type of gun and purpose of use there is no way anyone can give a responsible answer your question.

I guess you can add me to your list of clowns. I would venture to say the one commonality with all the clowns you have identified is .... you.

Edited by Rustygun

From his post in the 9mm forum, the op is trying to find a load that will group within 5" at 13 yards. His current load with a shield is giving him 12"groups.

My 125gr 9mm load groups within 3" at 15 yards standing with a g26, but I'm a clown because I don't realize the inherent inaccuracy from a short barrel.

I've tried to help, but now I'm just reading this for entertainment value.

Edited by b1gcountry

Clown here as well.

My Ruger LCR with a 1 7/8" barrel at 25 yds shooting Freedom Munitions reloads. Just standing up and shooting.

I'm a hard sell on the "short barrels are not accurate" theory.

You might also find this interesting.

Shooting a Glock 27 at 230 yds.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hickok45+glock+27+230+yards

post-58057-0-17247800-1442068182_thumb.j

Edited by TDA

I'm looking for reloading data, not what brand you buy.

Maybe instead of calling the members here clowns, you could have made your first post considerably more clear by noting that you were looking for reloading data rather than your incredibly vague "is it better to go heavy or lite on bullet. Is it better to go high or low on the powder charge"

That's like asking a realtor, is it better for me to buy a large house or a small house, is it better on a large or small piece of property.

Maybe instead of calling the members here clowns, you could have made your first post considerably more clear by noting that you were looking for reloading data rather than your incredibly vague "is it better to go heavy or lite on bullet. Is it better to go high or low on the powder charge"

That's like asking a realtor, is it better for me to buy a large house or a small house, is it better on a large or small piece of property.

Is this not the reloading section of the forum?

Is this not the reloading section of the forum?

Why yes it is which is precisely why you need to be more specific, your original question is poorly constructed at best, you might as well have asked is it better to ride the bus or pack your lunch.

You seem to be having trouble understanding this. Take a look at the replies in this thread as well as the one you did in the 9mm forum. How helpful have they been? Apparently not very good as you call the people that responded "clowns". Now, take a look at some of the other threads in these forums and how the OP framed their question and the wealth of detailed responses. See if you can figure out the difference. Good luck.

These forums have a wealth of knowledgeable people going out of their way to help and share information.

Ok, lets get the details. I am using unique with 124 gr bullets in 9mm's with 4.25" and 5" barrels, not sure of charge at this time. Spot on target at 50 yards. Same rounds thru a 3"barrel opens the group up. If you read the original post some one (i.e. clown) said barrel lenght did not matter? Using factory loads, corbon +p 115gr, not a problem. I would like ,now that I have tasted the blue koolaide, make my own rounds for the 3" barrel. As hollow points go, the 124gr has a much better pettle effect. I want to stay away from a +p charge so I can have longer barrel life.

Questions:

1 heavy bullet slower travel speed.

Or light bullet at faster speed.

Or can I get a 124gr at faster speeds with out getting into a +p charge, to get good impact and opening of round?

I believe that is what I am looking for as a starting point on these reloads.

Ok, lets get the details. I am using unique with 124 gr bullets in 9mm's with 4.25" and 5" barrels, not sure of charge at this time. Spot on target at 50 yards. Same rounds thru a 3"barrel opens the group up. If you read the original post some one (i.e. clown) said barrel lenght did not matter?

It may have nothing to do with barrel length and have more to do with the barrel.

Using factory loads, corbon +p 115gr, not a problem. I would like ,now that I have tasted the blue koolaide, make my own rounds for the 3" barrel. As hollow points go, the 124gr has a much better pettle effect. I want to stay away from a +p charge so I can have longer barrel life.

Questions:

1 heavy bullet slower travel speed.

Or light bullet at faster speed.

Or can I get a 124gr at faster speeds with out getting into a +p charge, to get good impact and opening of round?

I believe that is what I am looking for as a starting point on these reloads.

I am not sure what "pettle effect" is, never heard of it. Are you shooting these for target practice or self defense? I really can't tell from your comments as you mention the accuracy comparison of the two barrels but you also mention hollow points (which may be expanding self defense bullets or may be non-expanding target bullets).

I don't think "heavy bullet slower travel speed" or "Or light bullet at faster speed" matters if you are looking for either accuracy or self defense loads. I'd first find a bullet that works to your satisfaction in your gun.

Ho-ho boys and girls! Where's the birthday boy?

When you load ammunition, you will encounter certain restrictions that it is in your best interests to observe. First of all, the SAAMI listed maximum chamber pressure is listed at 35,000 PSI, and 38,500 for +P loadings. Use the combinations you wish, to achieve these limits, but exceeding them is fraught with peril, especially in 9mm, where seating bullets even slightly deeper than recommended can cause pressures to skyrocket. Velocity is a byproduct of these combinations, not the primary objective, and the search for uber-high velocities does not grant one an excuse to be silly or stupid. Of course at clown college, we were taught that a good clown will always be conservative and cautious in load development, never knowingly exceed known pressure tested data, and practice good hygiene so we don't offend the good little boys and girls we meet.

clown+with+a+gun.jpg

Edited by anachronism