Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Match or 1911 9mm for Steel Matches

cjdaniel78

First; I decided to post this here because the 1911 board would obviously vote that way and I suspect many of you that own pasta shooters also own or have at least put time behind the 1911.

Obviously they would be in different divisions, but none of my local clubs run true Steel Challenge matches, they are all outlaw with movement and barricades. The prevailing Divisions seem to be Open (guns with optics), 1911 and Stock (read: everything else). I ran my P-09 Production pistol in the Stock division a few weeks ago (see my Avatar photo) and was up against 2011's and SA CZ's and Tanfoglios. With the exception of a few GM types, everyone shooting a Production type gun finished behind those shooting Limited type guns; as it should be.

So, opinion time. 1911 in 9mm (likely a Range Officer) or a Witness Elite Match in 9mm? I chose the Elite Match instead of a Witness Limited because they are similarly priced to a used RO and I want to keep the whole endeavor under 1k when all said and done.

1911 thoughts: Mags are cheaper, mag well is cheaper. I would likely have to load special ammo with a longer OAL. I am not used to a grip safety. I would need to buy an extended mag release. Classic gun.

Elite Match thoughts: ergonomics similar to my P-09. Magwell is expensive. Mags are more expensive with Hennings Pads, Gun would be about $100 cheaper (used prices), so that makes up the mag well difference. Sexy lines.

On paper, they seem equal, but with opposite positive and negatives.

Has anyone shot both in single action Witness guns and 1911's in Steel matches?

Edited by cjdaniel78

1911 mags cheaper? Metalforms are cheaper, but Wilson's, Chips, etc are more expensive than a Tanfoglio mags. Also you are comparing the cost of a 10 round mag to a 23/24 round mag...? I don't follow that part.

You can't bolt a magwell on a Match. Only the "competition" frame guns have the hole and proper frame for that (Limited, Stock II, Hunter, Stock III, Gold Team, etc).

You already own a gun in a similar pattern (and I would assume you like it), so switching to a Tanfoglio from that would be easy. You should be able to just load up some 115-147gr RN at 1.135-1.145, buy an "8lb longslide spring" from Wolff, and let it rip with the Tanfoglio.

Personally I like the CZ/Tanfoglio design way better than the 1911 design. I originally was going to be like most people and be a 1911 guy, but I made the mistake of shooting some CZ and Tanfoglio based guns and that changed my mind. I've owned a couple 1911's but I sold them because I like the shooting dynamics of the CZ/Tanfo platform so much more. I'm sure the 1911 guys say the opposite. We shoot a LOT of steel challenge here in Idaho and the Tanfoglio platform performs well. I don't think either is a bad choice.

I'm going to do a weld on Canyon Creek magwell.

I was basing the mags off $20 per mag + $35 per basepad. I'd want 3. Wilson ETM's are $40 and I'd need 4. The stages are normally 20-28 rounds. So yes, the mags would cost more for the 1911. I was thinking individually. I think I may have taken stupid pills this morning, I've been off all day.

My CZ is accurate but not as much as my Range Officer in 45. I held Ben Stoeger's Tanfo (sounds dirty?!) and shot another in his clas, but it was just into the berm. I know Tanfoglio's have a reputation for accuracy, but is it comparable to a quality 1911? My RO will easily put 8 rounds in one inch at 10 yards, off hand. I own no other gun that compares.

I use a 9mm single stack in USPSA and a rat-rodded tanfo 9mm (limited elite lower with cut back dust cover, and a 9mm longslide conversion) which is my action steel gun. The tanfo is an easy gun to shoot and works great in the limited class for action steel. It is plenty accurate for the steel games.

I'll say that I like the Henning magwell a lot just for the improvement in the grip, it is also a great mag well. Rich's are great also, but need to be epoxied or welded on. Either one is better than a stock limited magwell.

Tanfo EM mags around $26 and the TF extensions are $30 new. If you have 20-28 rd stages you could get by with one extension. The Elite Match makes a lot of since in your application, it is more like a 2011. I got the dawson fiber optic front sight and one extension for mine, found a deal on 5 used mags at $15/ea.

Edited by ryan77

I don't understand the requirement of extended mags and mag wells for steel challenge?

I use either a match or s2 and just load 10 rounds. If I miss so much I need a mag swap.... the time penalty is earned! The match came w 2 mags, so ot $75 more was needed for a set of 5.

He is wanting to use the gun for action steel or steel outlaw matches. The OP said that none of his local matches run true steel challenge matches.

Yeah, nobody wants to hear "great reload!" at a stand and shoot 5 plate steel match.

Yeah, if I had access to true steel challenge I wouldn't even be asking since I could shoot my P-09 in Production and be competitve. But these are run and shoot steel matchs where I am in the same division as USPSA Limited guns. Granted I could shoot my Prod gun for the practice, but I couldn't stand not being competitve.

I have decided to get an Elite Match. At least the ergonomics match my Prod gun, just no DA pull and I'll have a mag well. Plus I can always put a 40SW upper on later on and shoot Limited.

Now, to sell my 45 RO that is a safe queen.