Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI purchase and some confusion about STI quality.

AlienAgenda

So I just ordered the STI DVC limited and should receive it in a couple of days. Given its prevalence in USPSA and STI's reputation in general, I thought I was purchasing a quality firearm and really I still do. Then I do some reading through the forums and I start to wonder, did I buy the BMW of handguns - it looks good, has a devoted fan base, but be prepared for it not to work the way you had hoped it might even though it cost 2x as much as the other players. There is so much conflicting information out there on the STI products my head is spinning and most of this seems to be from owners.

Like this article:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/03/jon-wayne-taylor/deep-in-the-heart-of-texas-ttag-tours-sti/

which leads me to think this is an amazingly well built firearm that will run like a dream out of the box and should work with any ammo I throw at it because thats how they test it at STI.

Then I see guns shops/smiths, that advertise here and are widely respected, offer for the low low price of $500 they will tune you new STI thus giving me the impression this $2600 gun it but a POS and without this service you should expect early wear and misfeeds. I intend to load my own ammo eventually as I currently do with 9mm, but I was hoping to pick up 1000 rounds of 160g online and get some time behind the trigger before I start reloading. Now, given all the ammo horror stories with STI products and their need for a VERY special OAL, i wonder if the ammo is not ordained by the church it simply wont run in the STI. Side note: It seems absurd a factory built gun wont run on factory ammo?

So all that crying aside, tell me I made the right decision with STI over my second choice CZ TS. Please. I have an CZ Accu Shadow now and it runs like a dream. Flawless with any load. Tell me i didnt purchase a gun that i will want to drop kick, unloaded or course, across the range because the ammo was .001 out of the sweet spot and gun jams on every 4th round.

BTW. The primary use for the new STI is USPSA Limited DIvision. I have been shooting production for a few years, still suck and thought why not suck in Limited as well?

I had to repost this from Chris Iliff from another thread where the discussion was what USPSA gun to purchase initially.

Chris Iliff

SECOND......2011's are no different than any other type of firearm. If it requires a gunsmith to be on speed dial it's either a piece of crap or the owner is a dimwit. Unfortunately dimwits don't self identify...........so the guns get the blame. Which is kinda nice because it is easy work for the smith and feeds the family.

You are right in your concerns but it's not a certainty the stock STI will be crap. Some buy stock Trubores and run them forever with no issues but many others buy an STI off the shelf and have enough problems to warrant getting it fixed or even tuned by a good smith.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to be brutally honest here so keep that in mind if you don't see too many negative comments on the subject.

From what I understand the new DVC guns are a step above the regular STI guns.

Disclaimer. I do not work for STI.

Any commercial manufacturer has to ensure their firearms are targeted at the general population. You are not going to get the finest trigger known to man from an off the shelf gun. Why you ask? The average competitior or shooter (remember STI sells to the public) is not a GM. Many shooters do not want a 1 LB trigger. There is an aftermarket trigger kit for just about any commercial firearm that we use in competition. Take Glock, even the GLOCK 34 (designed for competition shooting) has a crappy trigger. STI is really a small firearms manufacturer.

I think STI has really stepped up with the DVC line. If you do your part reloading 40, your DVC is going to rock. I bet it runs factory ammo without a hitch. People tweak guns and mags and blame the gun when it won't run 100%.

I have not shot a new DVC, but I shot many STI 40s. Again, they work if you do your part. I also own the CZ TS. You can't compare the two guns because they both work. It would be person preference as to which gun YOU like.

Edited by lcs

STI 40s DO NOT require some VERY special OAL. People try every OAL length and read the forums about "load long" and guess what ...the ammo won't run.

The special OAL is what YOU try when you reload. If you try to load long....their will be problems until you find the correct OAL for the bullet you choose.

I can only talk from the stand point of 9mm and 45 in sti's both 9s have been flawless no tuning if mags etc..

The 45 was used and the person b4 me didn't change recoil spring ever I'm guessing I bought it from gun broker and the barrel feet were beat to death ..

cleaned up as best possible and it runs good

The one 9 is the steel master runs great even with cheap reloads the other is a longslide 9mm eagle again no probs there either .. some of the mags I run are setup for 38 super but the 9 runs just fine with them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bud White

My 2 cents.

I purchased a CRP Edge from Dawson in early 2014 and was ready for the hassle of loading long and all that. I got a killer deal on 4 tuned mags and used those. Other than that, the gun was stock for about 1-2k rounds. It ran like a sewing machine, even with me behind the trigger.

I was ready to have to find the perfect OAL and everything to get it to run, but it ran everything I could throw at it just fine.

Your mileage may vary, but I would shoot a few hundred rounds of different factory ammo through it and build impressions.

A small note on the OAL thing. Keep in mind that the 1911 and 2011 were both designed from the ground up for .45 ACP OAL of about 1.250. When the magazine, ramp, and overall geometry were designed with that in mind, you start to understand why a shorter OAL cartridge MAY have issues. You run into the same problem with single stack .40's.

Hope my input helps you out a bit. STI has been great to deal with in my opinion and would buy a stock STI again if my custom 2011 bit the dust tomorrow.

Hello: Why not just run the gun once you get it. You are talking yourself into a frenzy over nothing so far. If there is a problem give STI a call and they will fix it. Load your own ammo then load it to 1.180" OAL and have at it. The biggest problem I see with new guns is bad reloads. Get that right and it solves 98% of the problems. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Why not just run the gun once you get it. You are talking yourself into a frenzy over nothing so far.

If there was an award for best post that would get it.

I would add that the best built 1911's are fitted a shade tight when they are built and may need a few hundred rounds to break in and loosen up. Even my SIG226 did. They may short stroke the slide, not lock back on last round, or not cycle occasionally until broken in. Or, it may run fine but I would DO NOTHING to the gun until I had run a few hundred rounds through it.

3 different TruBors

Can't count how many limited type guns and all of them ran when bought without gunsmithing

I do put Aftec Extractors in most of my stuff but I do that with all 1911/2011 asap cause they don't

break and once the gun will hand cycle it's been my experience the gun will run

COL? 40's

Mine have all run factory length ammo; the BUT is, they run 1.180-1.200 ammo smoother

and I can run at less (perceived, for the experts) pressure to make major

Been doing this stuff for 40 years and I like buying guys STI's

I run Para's also without any problems

Colts run for me to

Maybe I'm just fortunate

Enjoy your gun

Make sure you get a u-die (egw has a great one) and like other have mentioned load to a 1.10-1.20. Make sure your magazine feed lips are correct and you should be ready to compete. I watched Bob krogh win a number of matches with an sti edge. Sti has always stood behind their product wit me even replacing a 10+ year old 2011 grip at no charge.

our DVC .40 will run factory OALs and my loads loaded long.

However the bullet profile is where we had to experiment. I had been loading xtreme 180 RNFP for the last few years in my M&Ps, but when we got the DVC it would not feed them at any length.

Changed to a bullet with a more narrow profile and all is good.

I purchased one of the DVC Limiteds in .40 SW and I couldn't be happier with my decision. The only issue, if you even consider it that, is like others have mentioned it likes ammo at 1.18. Not saying it won't run anything else, but that seems to be the sweet spot and it what STI recommends for it. I did initially try some cheap blaser brass stuff when I first got it that was loaded much shorter, and did have a few FTF's with it. Since I started loading my own at 1.18, it has been 100% reliable. If you're gonna order some ammo, I know some companies can do custom OAL for you if you call, so that may be an option until you get set up to load for it yourself.

As far as mags, I have the 2 factory STI 140mm ones that came with the gun and I purchased two more. They have also been 100% reliable for me so far. I have since added Grams springs and followers with TTI 4g2 base pads to two of them and they are still 100% so far. I just added the Grams spring and follower with a Dawson SNL +1 base pad to the third one to try and I don't expect any issues with it either.

I don't have a DVC but I have a STI Executive in 40. I load my own ammo and though I ran into some issues with my loads (die issues), I have had ZERO feed issues.

I have ran Barry's and Zero bullets and both feed fine! I load all of mine to a target OAL of 1.125, and there is a +/- .003. Once again NO issues.

I recently bought a STI Marauder 9mm. I have ~400 factory rounds through it, and it runs perfectly. My issue is with the magazine that was sent with the gun -- it was out of square, or something like that. It would get into a bind between the forward edge of the frame, and the rear of the magazine well. This caused it to have to be stripped out of the gun. I received an RMA from STI, and I am waiting on them to tune and return my mag.

In the interim, I have 3 other brand new STI mags, and they all drop free and don't bind up. The gun is sweet, but I'm not 100% sold on the purchase experience yet.

The plan? Shoot the snot out of it through the end of the season, and decide if it'll officially take the place as my primary competition gun. Maybe I'll report back in a month or two.

Edited by ironeyes

I think it's hilarious that guys will spend $35K on a vehicle which ends up with multiple recalls and warranty issues but then expect their $2800 gun (another machine) to run perfectly right out of the box. This forum is bursting at the seams with threads about loading for a 2011. The consensus is load long, so one should probably expect to load long. Or buy long loaded ammo from Atlanta Arms. These are race guns, and must be tuned much like a race car or race bike. Expectations suck.

I would say there is a very good chance that you will love and be completely happy with the STI. Sure there are better guns from some other custom builders, but in this case "better" is very subjective. I don't think you'll be held back or have any issues with your purchase. Enjoy it, wear it out, then order a custom that is the exact parts you want.

I have a DVC Limited. I have fired Winchester HP 165grain factory ammo from it without any issues. I mostly run reloads, and most of those are loaded to 1.16 OAL but recently I loaded some to 1.19 OAL and those run great also. I have tried bullet weights from 165 to 200 grain in major and minor PF and they have all run well.

The gun is still new with only 1,797 rounds fired. I checked my log and the only malfunction was a round that wouldn't completely feed and got stuck in the chamber at around 900 rounds. The round would not fit in case gauge with a bulge. So it was a reloading issue, I have since ordered a Hundo 40L case gauge to avoid this issue in the future.

Get your new gun and shoot it.

For what it's worth, $1200 is the cheapest 1911 I can find that I'd consider owning which basically compares to a $600 CZ. Unfortunately a quality 1911 style guns cost a lot more than CZ, but CZ took the back seat once I shot a 1911. To put that in perspective, before I shot 1911s 'there was no other gun' besides CZ.

I haven't owned an STI, but I would have no reservations buying one that I liked (for contest shooting) even if it needed a little tweaking to get it right. I had the experience of spending the 'extra money' on a quality gun, only to have to send it back to the factory - twice. It's annoying especially when it's your only gun, but if that is what it takes to get a sweet gun that meets or exceeds your expectations, it's certainly isn't the worst thing in the world.

What I've come to realize in any hobby is that I am rarely satisfied with any 'off the shelf' product, and it almost always cost a lot more time, money, and work to get what I really want. But whatever it is, it usually ends up being 'mine' and I end up loving it.

Congrats on your new gun - it is sweet, and I am jealous.

dvc-limited.jpg

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. A lot of great insight and experiences. I have ordered a die set for my XL650 and quick change kit. 1K 180g RN from Bayou. So reloading will happen now vs later. It was too painful to purchase ammo online knowing I could just buy the die and bullets get what we know will work great. I agree with some posts mentioning I should get the gun, shoot it and then bring up any issues I might have, I hope I have zero. Maybe a bit of buyers remorse triggered my initial post and expectations.

I ordered a couple of MDX extreme 140mm mags. The shop I bought the STI from is shipping (3) 140mm magazines with it, so I should be good there.

Now all I need is mag holders and an a new holster and lots of trigger time.

@Sarge, see you on the 27th at MRPC.

thanks again everyone.

I have a DVC, it's totally stock, and have shot it in USPSA matches and put well over 5k rounds through it - no problems.

Mags are STI tubes with Dawson springs, followers, and base plates - no problems with the 5 I have.

I reload my own ammo with coal to 1.19, use lee undersize die, and have no problems.

I also have an STI Aperio and it has no problems; both are 40 S&W.

The Porsche 911 is a great product and it has a huge aftermarket - does that mean it's a poor product - no.

The one thing I do to keep it reliable is clean the gun after every three shootings, most don't do this and that is where problems start.

Don't overthink it, you made a good purchase...

Well I can only comment on my brand new sti edge out of the box simply will not run bought six brand new factory sti 140mm mags none of them work can't even load rounds into the mags the 126 mm mag appears to work but then theres the barrel take a 1.185 oal reload that drops in perfect to a case gauge will not drop in the sti barrel drop a factory 180 does not drop in gets about half way.. so my opinion sti guns from the factory are slapped together and do not function once tuned by a good gun smith then your good to go. dropping mine off to tight group firearms tomorrow for some needed loving...

if i were to do it again brazos it is...