Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another shadow or stock II

Justinmac13

I am having a hard time deciding weather to buy another SP01 Shadow or a Stock II. I love the shadow and am very happy with it but also wonder if I love it so much, if I would like the stock II even better.

For those of you that have shadows and Stock II's, what are your thoughts,

The shadows are cheaper and fit my hand well as my hands are small.

Talk me into the stock II.

The Stock 2's definitely seem to take more tinkering, but if you are mechanically inclined and into that kind of think, there trigger can be made very good. Because of the shorter hammer spring and the rest of the trigger system, the da pull is shorter in a tanfo, so you get slightly less leverage than on a cz, but it is shorter which is good. I have medium sized hands and LOVE the feel of the tanfo. I have always felt the SA trigger break on the SP-01 was too far back and I found myself having to position the tip of my finger or the first joint of it on the trigger instead of the middle of the pad like you should. The SA break in the tanfo leaves my trigger finger at a nice 90 deg angle as it should be. The Safety paddle also sits slightly higher which is a much more comfortable/effective place to rest your thumb if you ride the left side safety while shooting freestyle/strong hand. Plus the bull barrel, beautiful looks, functional checkering. And hey, they are even becoming relatively available now!

I traded one of my Stock II's a while back for a custom Shadow and after about a week or two I sold the CZ and got another Stock II. Simply couldn't get used to the ergonomics of the CZ. The aggressive checkering on the front and back strap of the Tanfo's is my favorite part of the pistol.

I hear you zhunter, this was another reason why I was thinking of getting another SP01... I hate to buy a gun on looks but the tanfo's have to be some of the best looking guns I have seen. I think I would like the extra weight and bull barrel of the tanfo. I am by no means good at home gunsmithing but I really enjoy tinkering around and changing parts out to see the differences thanks to forums like this that make it possible for guys like me.

I hear people talk about a small frame and large frame tanfo, Is there only 1 frame size for the stock II or can you either get a small frame Stock II or a large frame Stock II?

Thank you guys for all you input.

Knowing what's coming in the next 10 months, I'd drop any and all plans for more guns and spend that cash on more reloading supplies

You can't do that. Do tell!

Pretty sure he is talking about the presidential election. People always get all nervous and start buying up (hoarding) ammo and reloading supplies...

As for the hand size, make sure before you decide to stick with the CZ, hold a Tanfo, the Stock II, III, limited, and limited pro all have the same grip. They are larger but not unmanageable, depending on your true hand size. Definitely smaller than a CZ TS if you've ever handled one of those, more similar to a reduced TS grip. And the thin grips available make it even more manageable.

Knowing what's coming in the next 10 months, I'd drop any and all plans for more guns and spend that cash on more reloading supplies

You can't do that. Do tell!

Pretty sure he is talking about the presidential election. People always get all nervous and start buying up (hoarding) ammo and reloading supplies...

I'm not getting caught flat footed this time

The tuned up 75D that I have now will do until after elections. Then I'll treat myself to a Shadow. Until then every penny that I would have spent on guns is going to bullets, primers, powder, and casings.

The goal is to be able to ride out at least one full election cycle without needing to buy supplies

Edited by elguapo

But the Stock II is better. A little heavier, better finish, better looking, small enough with EGD grips. No ugly tac rail blended in the frame. A well executed STI tac rail looks the part.

I prefer the Tanfoglio trigger. Stacking has better feedback for prepping trigger. SA can be very clean with EGD hammer and short with over travel screw.

I'll try to find a Stock II, III, limited, or limited pro to hold in the KC area before I do any buying. I agree with buying reloading supplies, That is probably the smart thing to do, But i've never been accused of doing the smartest things.

I'll try to find a Stock II, III, limited, or limited pro to hold in the KC area before I do any buying. I agree with buying reloading supplies, That is probably the smart thing to do, But i've never been accused of doing the smartest things.

Don't buy more reloading supplies than you really need though... This is exactly the reason this happens every time there is an election. People go out and buy 3 years worth of reloading supplies and manufacturing cant keep up, then everything just goes crazy.

Don't buy more reloading supplies than you really need though... This is exactly the reason this happens every time there is an election. People go out and buy 3 years worth of reloading supplies and manufacturing cant keep up, then everything just goes crazy.

That's not my problem. That's a problem for people who don't learn from history.

There's going to be a run. The question is going to be, are you going to be in front of it or behind it. I'm going to be in front. Way in front. In fact, I already have enough pistol supplies to last close to 12K rounds. I'll be bulking up my rifle reloading in the coming monthsto the baseline that suits me and will continue to replenish every month at a rate higher than what I consume.

I used to own both guns and tried going back and fourth. In my experience it was hard to go back and fourth. The guns are different enough I would have to almost start from scratch when it came to griping the gun and mag changes. I don't know what it is but it seemed like the two grip angles are just different enough to make me fumble reloads. The SP01 also started biting me on the web of my hand after I shot the stock II a while. It was like I was trying to grip the SP01 too high. You can't go wrong with either gun. I ended up sticking with the Stock II do to less recoil and like Gump I love the checkered backstrap and front strap.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little confused here. Everybody seems in consensus that Stock 2 has a larger grip than a Shadow. I have just compared a Stock 3 small frame side by side to the CZ Shadow that I presently own and it was very clear to me that the Stock 3 had the smaller grip of the two. The area below the beavertail is significantly more cut on the Tanfo, making the circumference noticably smaller and the angle slightly different. The tanfo also have a small cut below the trigger guard that makes a difference for us with short fingers.

My Shadow has the VZ grips that are thinner than the original CZ rubber grips, still slightly thicker than the aluminium grips availible for the CZ. The Tanfo had the Xtreme aluminium grips and it was about 2 mm thinner than the Stock 3. All in all, the Tanfo grip was significantly smaller than the CZ and gripped much better for me. So much better in fact that I'm in the process of exchanging my Shadow for a Stock 2 AU small frame, which is supposed to have the same grip size as a Stock 3.

Is this because the stock 2 in the US is large frame and the stock 3 I've handled is small frame? From what I've read, small frame and large frame are supposed to have the same external dimension, perhaps this is incorrect?

Edited by mrd

Mrd,

I went ahead and got the stock II and with the original wood grips mine did feel quite a bit bigger than my shadow with rubber grips. I put the eg grips on my stock II large frame and I believe it now to be smaller than my shadow. I have not put an actual measurement on them but the size of the two is fairly close from feeling. I still have some trigger work to do on my stock II but looking forward to making it my primary.

Justin, thanks for the info. Grip panels seems to make a big difference. The small frame Stock 3 with Xtreme grip panels was the slimmest double stack I've ever handled, though I admit to being a fairly new shooter.

Since you own both the Shadow and the Stock 2, if you have the possibility it would be interesting to hear the measurements of the bare frames. Particularly the width and the shortest distance between the spot under the trigger guard and under the beavertail (tang?). Could you be bothered to measure them? :)