Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 - having trouble adjusting the measure

MilkMyDuds

Recently switched to N320 from Titegroup. I can see why some people say N320 meters much better than Titegroup due to its ball/stick shape. For me, my 650 won't meter N320 at all. I turned the power bar knob 1/4 turn, which usually changes the powder amount dramatically for Titegroup, but nothing happens with N320. Same MV with chrono. Turned it 1/2 turn, now going from 890 to 885 FPS. Turned a full turn, it dropped to 830 FPS. This is driving me crazy. It seems N320's ball/stick shape is messing the adjustment up, causing the changes not linear but exponential.

How is everyone else adjusting their N320?

I am pretty sure I know the direction. Clockwise (facing the knob) to increase, counter closewise to decrease.

I was aiming 870fps. It's frustrating after several chrono sessions I am still no where close. If 1/2 turn goes from 890 to 885, then a full turn should go from 885 to 875, right? No it went from 885 to 830.

If you are using a Dillon Measurer

1)When looking straight at the bolt turn clockwise to increase powder charge

2)Turn counter clockwise to decrease the powder charge.

2)Dump first one or two charges back in to the hopper

Tip: there is slack in the bolt

(Example if you open 1/4 turn then close 1/8 turn You have not opened 1/8 turn)

I turn in only one direction and weigh each charge until I get to where I want to be.

Recently switched to N320 from Titegroup. I can see why some people say N320 meters much better than Titegroup due to its ball/stick shape. For me, my 650 won't meter N320 at all. I turned the power bar knob 1/4 turn, which usually changes the powder amount dramatically for Titegroup, but nothing happens with N320. Same MV with chrono. Turned it 1/2 turn, now going from 890 to 885 FPS. Turned a full turn, it dropped to 830 FPS. This is driving me crazy. It seems N320's ball/stick shape is messing the adjustment up, causing the changes not linear but exponential.

How is everyone else adjusting their N320?

I use a scale. ;)

Aren't you WEIGHING your powder?

You can't know what you are doing without weighing what is coming from the powder measure. Are you looking in the charged case and noting how full the case is with powder? Could there be a blockage in the powder measure (things have fallen into powder measures before)?

As said, sort of, after making any change, you need to throw at least 10 charges and toss them back in the hopper before you ever start to weigh the charges.

I have never heard of any other complaints about N320 metering.

I have loaded 12,000 rounds with titegroup. Loaded to different PF with ease on 650 powder measure. Now I miss its flakes.

Yes I do measure with balance, but 2.9gr and 2.95gr aren't really obvious on my RCBS 505 balance. I don't think those balance actually can be accurate to 0.01gr. They can do 0.1gr at best.

N320 is causing me some headaches.

You need to be using a scale. N320 meters wonderfully in my XL 650 and is perfectly linear in drops (using weight, not FPS). I have found 0.1 grain increments to have very linear speed differentials in the range I have sampled (I don't load too light nor do I compress loads with N320) with remarkably small standard deviations.

Keep in mind that N320 is far less dense compared to TG.

N320 is my go to powder for 9mm. And still have shot many thousand rounds of 9mm with TG. But will choose N320 any day over TG. You have to adjust your powder bar much more for N320 compared to TG. You can easily get SDs in the single digits with N320.

Yes I do measure with balance, but 2.9gr and 2.95gr aren't really obvious on my RCBS 505 balance.

Do you really think that .05gr will have an effect on achieving the PF you are looking for??

Try making changes in .2gr increments until you are close, then make adjustments of .1gr.

To help in keeping from chasing your tail, only make adjustments by turning the screw clockwise. As an example, if you need to reduce the charge, turn the screw one turn counter clockwise, and then turn it clockwise 3/4 turn.

Edited by TDA

I don't think those balance actually can be accurate to 0.01gr.

Milk, you're making a few mistakes, most of which have been discussed above -

1. you don't measure a single charge - you throw 5 or even 10 charges into the scale pan, and

weigh the total - then divide by the number of charges you threw. E.g. If you're using 2.9 gr,

and you throw five charges, you should get 14.5 grains. That is measurable.

2. No difference between 2.90 and 2.95 grains

3. As Uncle TK mentioned, when you change the load, throw the first five charges back into

to hopper, and then throw and weigh five more charges - divide the total by 5.

Betcha if you follow all these solutions, you won't be so down on N320 - great powder. :cheers:

Measuring 10 throws then averaging them works great! The other idea of only adjusting the knob one direction seems like a great one, especially for bigger particles like N320. TG goes extremely linear either direction you turn the knob.

Thanks for the great tips.

BTW - I always pour back the first 15 throws whenever I change powder amount.

15 seems excessive, I toss 5 and no issues.

Have you made sure there's not something like a piece of styrofoam from the powder keg seal in your powder measure? I'd also recommend checking to make sure the powder bar is completing a full stroke in both directions. If the failsafe rod isn't returning it fully or the case isn't pushing the measure all the way up you can get erratic drops and reactions to adjustment.

Not really needed but there is the uniquetek micrometer adjuster for Dillon powder bars. Finer threads so better resolution, repeatable settings, and less backlash.