Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blank check for an open gun

Alaskan454

I know someone who wants to get an open gun and budget is a non-issue. I'm a revolver shooter so my knowledge here is lacking and I would appreciate some input from the seasoned shooters out there. The first places that came to my mind were Triangle Shooting Sports, Brazos Custom, and SVI for a gun, DAA for the holsters and rig related items. I was thinking a 2011 style pistol would be the best bet in 9Major or 38 Super, possibly a CZ since he liked my Shadow T. He's fully equipped with Dillon gear and drinking the blue koolaid so all ammo will be home made. Any help is greatly appreciated, and as always feel free to post pictures of your cool stuff!

That is good advice from Maximis.

I would only add and imho, if budget truly isn't an issue, go with 38 Super. It is easier to load for due to a wider selection of suitable powders and I believe there is less wear/tear on the gun than 9 major. Everyone I know that shoots 9 major does so because of the brass issue. Brass for 38 Super is a bit pricey (.15 a round) but I view it as simply the cost to play the game. I get all of my brass back in practice but usually only about 25% at matches, if I am lucky.

Matt Cheely builds awesome guns. I love mine. That being said SV, Mclearn, Akai, Freedom Gunworks, Gans and many others build top notch guns. I cant imagine why anyone would build a Super/Supercomp. 9major is not magic to load for and powder is becoming easier to find. It is way nicer to not have to worry about scrounging to get all your brass back.

I'm not too familiar with 9Major, but from what I've read the barrels are built to take far greater than standard 9mm pressure correct?

There is nothing special about a 9 major barrel in the 2011 platform.

A 2011 built for 9mm 3 gun has no special chamber pressure capacity over one built for open major. Performance and tuning considerations are totally another story!!!

Dan Bedell Builds Max M's guns and he is without a doubt the best open shooter currently. HE also shoot 1000's of rounds a month out of those guns.

Dan's prices are lower or in line with the other big name builders and his wait time is better than most.

And yes I know the man and live an hour away so it makes it easy to endorse him and his guns

Every one of them around my area runs great

I do agree with buying a used or a TruBor to get going cause waiting Sxxks

Money no object open rig for me:

buy CK arms thunder open now from shooters connection (in 38 super or super comp) (cost around $3500 and available in stock right now). that will get him shooting asap.

at the same time put in his order for a SVI built to the spec he wants (also in 38 super) when it arrives in 18months or so the CK can become his backup (no idea on cost but think up to $7K depending on what exactly he wants), I'd also consider an akai or a cheely custom built open too but SV does have the rep as the rolls royce option. :)

when the custom SV (or whatever he chooses as the custom builder) arrives, order a second one so that ultimately his match gun and backup gun will be the same spec If money truly is no object he could order a pair to be built at the beginning. The only reason I suggest buying one first then the second after the first is delivered is he may figure out some points he likes/don't like that may influence the second one. So ultimately the CK becomes a practice gun or gets sold and the first custom gun becomes backup gun and the second becomes the match gun setup exactly to his liking..

manny bragg holster, CR speed deluxe belt, double alpha race master pouches,

pair of MBX 170mm mags and 3 of their 140mm mags (good to have extras).

double alpha range cart and range pack pro to carry it all in

Develop a load around 115gn or 125gn hornady action pistol JHPs with starline super or supercomp brass and vitha vhouri 3N38 powder. They are basically the best in action pistol bullets, best brass and best powder for an open gun.

That would be my ultimate baller setup. It's something like what I'll have minus the massive cost of the two SV/cheely/aki/whoever customs. which'll be a good $12K+ alone.

The whole 2011 being based around 45 acp is not really relevant to handling major PF loads. Design did improve between 1911 and 2011 but bear in mind the top end is the same and 45acp is not actually a very high pressure cartridge. What makes them handle 9 major and 38 super major is they are bleeding off a lot of force through the compensator and the fact that modern manufacturing and modern materials make these guns stronger in just about every way possible. The other factor is that 9 major and 38 super major loads don't have as much of a high pressure spike as many may think. They typically are loaded with the slowest burning pistol powder you can use and still achieve the velocity required and are driving lighter bullets between 115gn and 125gn . That means they build pressure a little more slowly than even some minor loads that are running very fast pistol powders with heavy bullets.

it's nice to dream. :)

I agree with getting a gun now while waiting for the built but no way I'd buy a used trubor if money is no object. Go grab one of the CK thunder open's off the shelf. You're getting a brand new gun, race ready and when the customs finally come in it'll still have some good resale value. :) chances are you buy a trubor then decide you want to change extractor, hammer, add a racker, lighten the slide, change magwell etc etc etc before you know it you've spent more on the gun than having bought a brand new one like a CK.

Hello: Buy a stock STI Tru-Bor in 9mm. Spend the rest for reloading equipment. Learn to shoot open with the STI then decide what you like and don't like about it. See if you can find a mentor to help you progress in open as well. They are out there and will help new shooters. If you are a older shooter help the new guys, it's fun to see how good they get with your help. We need more open shooters. Thanks, Eric

Well said....if you want a gun that goes bang EVERY time you hit the bang switch call Dan. He is a great guy to deal with. There is nothing worse than wondering if your gun is going to run when the buzzer sounds.

Jan

Dan Bedell Builds Max M's guns and he is without a doubt the best open shooter currently. HE also shoot 1000's of rounds a month out of those guns.

Dan's prices are lower or in line with the other big name builders and his wait time is better than most.

And yes I know the man and live an hour away so it makes it easy to endorse him and his guns

Every one of them around my area runs great

I do agree with buying a used or a TruBor to get going cause waiting Sxxks

I've had both - stock and custom.

The stock guns I've had needed some work - triggers, extractors, etc. The custom ones have needed a little refining too - just not as much.

If money were no object, I'd shoot an SV but I don't think a Bedell or Cheely or Freedom Gunworks gun will hold anyone back. Come to think of it, if money were no object I'd probably have one of each. :D

If budget is not a consideration. Pick up the phone and call who? SVI and get a 38SC on order. Look at classifieds for a good used 38SC from a well known seller and start the practice. If money was no object-- 38SC is the only way to fly!

I like that idea the best so far, and correct me if I'm wrong but a 2011 being 45 ACP native would take higher pressure than a 9mm native barrel. I'd do a 9Major myself since the brass is so cheap.

Actually the 9mm is a higher pressure round than the .45 ACP.

I like that idea the best so far, and correct me if I'm wrong but a 2011 being 45 ACP native would take higher pressure than a 9mm native barrel. I'd do a 9Major myself since the brass is so cheap.

Actually the 9mm is a higher pressure round than the .45 ACP.

Yes, I know. I phrased that statement poorly, sorry if it was confusing to anyone. I meant that the gun is designed for a larger diameter cartridge, 45 ACP, which still has to contain 21-23K PSI operating pressure. So dropping a 9mm casing into the same dimensional envelope allows for much more hoop stress than would a native 9mm barrel, say from a CZ 75 which is still designed to handle 35k psi. In the end it doesn't matter as others have mentioned since modern manufacturing and materials have provided us with greater strength and safety margin than when most of these original guns were designed.

Back to cool toys, I think SVI is going to be the way to go for a custom build down the road. The starter gun will be a used one from the classifieds here or one of the CK Arms guns, great suggestion on that strategy. I got a chance to fondle some STI DVCs and Steelmasters at my local shop and those were pretty cool too. I might put down my revo for a match if I get to play with this thing. As for powder there is an 2x4lb shipment of 3N38 on its way so that's good to go. After looking into the 9 vs 38 caliber choice it looks like 3N38 "should" have no trouble making major with a long c.o.l in 9mm. For those who have run both, if you can get the loading components you need what's the advantage to 38 over 9? Neither of us have dies and such for 38SC at the moment but acquiring them isn't an issue if 38SC really is the way to go.

38sc is a rimless case and will feed and run with greater reliability than a 9mm will. You also gain flexibility in coal to suit the gun and mags (rather than being forced to load a 9mm long just to accommodate powder). It's also a little easier to reload being a straight case vs tapered and longer vs shorter. Really it's only downside is brass cost.