Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
PrimaryBruce

Getting rid of "warm up" nerves/jitters

The biggest gain I made in removing warm up jitters came from my stage / match planning. I purposely choose a conservative plan for the first stage of the match, and then focus on every minute detail during my walkthrough (details that may be less important later in the match). 

By giving myself to my process, I remove a lot of the margins for mental and emotional stress, and, thus, physical manifestations of that stress. 

the last year or so I have had no first stage jitters (not counting the normal competition butterflies and excitement) because I have committed to calling every shot, and not rushing/trying/hurrying. I know from experience that if I call every shot, I will be as fast as I can be, and often faster than if I *try* to go fast.

Sounds simple but larger exhale (also lets you feel all of your muscles drop to relaxtion) got this from just doing the TPC class

On 1/30/2018 at 9:35 AM, Sliv2 said:

The biggest gain I made in removing warm up jitters came from my stage / match planning. I purposely choose a conservative plan for the first stage of the match, and then focus on every minute detail during my walkthrough (details that may be less important later in the match). 

By giving myself to my process, I remove a lot of the margins for mental and emotional stress, and, thus, physical manifestations of that stress. 

Precisely!   The last few matches I have done this at, I had a 2nd or 3rd place finish on my first stage because of the "slowing it down" but won the match overall.  Just get all the little stuff going right out the gate and progress through the match.  Keeping it all between the navigational beacons. 

Adderall or Armodafinil :)

Dry fire in the saftey area.  Dont want the buzzer to be your first draw of the day.

I've noticed something about nerves/jitters over the years. Everyone feels them. People who know they didn't prepare enough tend to be negatively effected by jitters. People who have put the time in tend to experience neutral or even positive effects.

Set yourself up to succeed by dry firing everyday, do some dryfire the morning of the match to physically warm up the movement pathways, visualize the stage until it flows in your mind vividly and naturally, then go hit the middle of the targets. When you've adequately prepared, I think what used to be jitters becomes tuned alertness.

1 minute ago, Jake Di Vita said:

I've noticed something about nerves/jitters over the years. Everyone feels them. People who know they didn't prepare enough tend to be negatively effected by jitters. People who have put the time in tend to experience neutral or even positive effects.

Set yourself up to succeed by dry firing everyday, do some dryfire the morning of the match to physically warm up the movement pathways, visualize the stage until it flows in your mind vividly and naturally, then go hit the middle of the targets. When you've adequately prepared, I think what used to be jitters becomes tuned alertness.

:bow:

On 1/31/2018 at 6:32 PM, motosapiens said:

the last year or so I have had no first stage jitters (not counting the normal competition butterflies and excitement) because I have committed to calling every shot, and not rushing/trying/hurrying. I know from experience that if I call every shot, I will be as fast as I can be, and often faster than if I *try* to go fast.

Printed & placed on the wall. 

5 hours ago, Ranger49 said:

It always calms me down to take a deep breath and slowly let it out as I'm thinking "smooth".  

Smooth is the new fast... funny, but so very true.  

I have been suffering from anxiety from teen age. I have been taking Xanax for over 20 years and don’t know what I would do without it. It’s a “wonderful” drug if you use it as prescribed by your doctor. I take it as needed, but sometimes I don’t need to take it and can do just fine without taking it for weeks. Right now I haven’t had to take it for about a month, but will not hesitate to take it if needed.lol More info on it by link