Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet tumbled brass, drying issues

GregJ

The Texas sun this time of year will not only dry several thousand cases in 2.5 beers, they will also be too hot to hold in your hand.

On pistol cases I leave the primers in or I already doubled the work.

IMG_20130727_144639_090_zpsd9095290.jpg

Edited by jmorris

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a new one for me, but then again I just spray Hornady One Shot over everything anyhow, so my cases are lubed inside and out...

The carbon powder on the inside of the case actually helps lube the powder drop, so I don't want mine sparkly clean....

I use a cheap salad spinner to get most of the water out and then just set the brass on a towel (single layer) for a couple of days...never had a problem.

Huh salad spinner. I never even thought of that. Looks like I might have to make a trip down to my local dollar store here in the near future.

better than the salad spinner is one of the dedicated enclosed media separators, RCBS, Frankford Arsenal all make them.

Agreed, I have one dedicated to my wet tumbling and one for my dry tumbling. For wet tumbling, it separates the pins, spins most of the water off and then I shake/roll them in a folded over towel and spread them out to let them finish drying.

From the media separator I dump brass into a towel and shake them around to remove excessive moisture. From ther they go into the oven at 215 degrees for 30 min, after 15 min I take them out and stir them around a bit. Once they're out of the oven I leave them in the baking pan over night.

I've never had a misfire due to excessive moisture when using stainless media. I don't know if it makes a difference but I also remove primers before tumbling.

for pistol - I don't deprime prior to wet tumble. I don't use pins either. Just try to have enough brass so that it can dry out a good long time or use the oven at low heat to force the issue.

For rifle - first go round is with primer in prior to lube/size. Because there is some salt on the ground half the year, I tend to wash the brass promptly upon getting it back to the house. No pins the first time - just a good washing. Post lube/size/trim it will go back in for a tumble WITH pins - and then I dry them on a towel at very low heat or set them in front of the fireplace for a while.

And... have enough so that the brass can dry out a good long time prior to use.

I have had some wet primer pockets if I rush things - have caught it before I loaded, but enough of a heads up that I just let things sit a while and really dry out before use.

I do both. I dry tumble brass to remove any grit and dirt, Then I size the cases and drop them in the wet tumbler for a few hours. I have discovered that getting cases 100% spotless takes a lot more time, especially with rifle cases. Then I run through my media separater submerged in water to remove the pins, and give them a rinse. I use car wash with wax & Lemishine, I haven't seen any advantage to adding Dawn to the mix. Drying is done in the oven at 150* until the cases are thoroughly dry. Then I cool them and bag them for future use. I do like having no carbon in the case, but feel there must be an easier way out there somewhere. Ultrasonic cleaners just don't seem to have the capacity I need.

I see a number of people talking about running their cases for hours to get them clean, and I don't understand. The absolutely worst stained and filthy cases I can find on my range, buried in mud and sand take no more than 45 minutes to get clean. Rifle or pistol, makes no difference. What I have found is left too long and the case mouths start to get peened and sharp on the edges.

What I have found is left too long and the case mouths start to get peened and sharp on the edges.

I agree that less than an hour is all it takes unless you have a real slow tumbler or are over full.

That said the only thing I have noticed if left too long, like 24 hours or more, is that the cases turn OD green anywhere the pins can touch the brass. Still shoot fine though.

post-6631-0-47578800-1408664355.jpg

OD green is cool, I haven't seen that before. Exactly what mix/time gets that reaction? Is it just 24h+?

If I leave my brass in the water with Lemishine + Costco dish soap my brass permanently farkens, but I've never see OD green.

I am down to a 380 case of lemishine, 2s squirt dish soap, 7 lbs pins, 6 lbs brass + fill with water in a Thumler-B tumbler.

My normal dawn/lemishine combo just forgotten about until the next day. Note: that is not just sitting in the liquid but actually tumbling.

The change is also permanent, it will never shine again after that.

Edited by jmorris

I run mine for typically 1 hour. But, I have left brass sit in the tumbler for 1-2 days after that hour runs and there is no change (I use Dawn and Lemishine). I believe your water has a bigger impact on your results than most consider.

The acid in Lemishine or vinegar is what causes the color changes. I've gotten down to just using Dawn and hot water and you could probably leave it in that a week with no ill effects.

If the brass is corrosion free it will come out about like new brass. If already corroded it will be clean but not jewelry appearing.

I originally went for the jewelry appearance and deprimed, pinned and then tumbled in walnut with copious amounts of Nu-Finish but finally decided that clean was good enough.

I am down to a 380 case of lemishine, 2s squirt dish soap, 7 lbs pins, 6 lbs brass + fill with water in a Thumler-B tumbler.

You're overloading your Model B. It only has a 15 lb capacity, and you're using that in brass & pins. Water weight 8 lb/gal, so if you're running one gallon of water in your load, you're right at 23 lbs. The Thumler won't handle that long term.

This is why I stick with dry tumbling. I can't see any reason to add extra steps and then try to figure out how to get the brass dry all just to improve the appearance of it without affecting performance one iota. The media that I use gets brass looking almost like new with a lot less effort. I've never had a dust issue either.

I tumble mine with lemi-shine and dawn, primers in.

Then I'll roll them in the media separator to get the pins and bulk of the water out.

Roll them in a large towel for a couple minutes, then spread them out over another towel with a fan directly on them for an hour or 2...if its sunny out I'll lay them out in the sun. This has worked good for me so far...

Bass Pro has their Open Country brand 7 tray dehydrator on sale now for $44.97. That's 25% less than I paid for the same unit. This dryer works well and extra trays can be purchased for it although 7 is enough for my needs.

My advice on dehydrators is if you get one, buy one that has the motor/blower on the lid. Some models have the drying units on the bottom and water may collect there and cause problems.

My formula for wet tumbling is water 1 inch above the brass (leave air gap for agitation), 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine and 2 tablespoons of ArmorAll Car Wash and Wax. Tumble 90 minutes, separate and dry in dehydrator for a couple of hours. I also deprime before tumbling.

Edited by BaggerJoe

I don't see the point of all that work. I just get most of the black off and that's good enough.

A lot of people don't see the point in reloading at all. The fun thing about our hobby is you can do as much or as little as you want as long as you are satisfied with the result.

Edited by BaggerJoe