Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA/IPSC instructors?

Niltreth

I would like to find an instructor in the PHX area for a couple hours of instruction BEFORE my first match that could run me through a stage or two.

Many people say just go out and shoot your first match and make your mistakes, and many instructors don't even want to instruct you unless you're an experienced match shooter trying to take it to the next level...but, I want to get started on the right foot with some good instruction.

Can can anyone recommend someone in the PHX area?

I'm a long time shooter who grew up in Alaska but the only competition I've ever done is as a Junior High student in the Rifle Club shooting target .22. I have wanted to get into practical pistol for 25 years and now at age 54 I'm making up my mind to do it.

It seems easy to find tactical instruction, but not USPSA/IPSC.

Id like to do at least a couple hours worth, and a very simple practice stage or two.

Thank you for any ideas!

PS: I do have the basic 9 millimeter minor "production" equipment set up (holster, magazines, and two piece belt, etc) for steel shooting,

I thought Steel challenge might be a good way to start ....and then work my way into USPSA.

Getting started with good instruction and minimize bad habits seems like a great idea...just not sure where to find a good instructor.

Contact the USPSA clubs in your area and speak to the Match Directors. See if they can set you up with someone who is an RO or CRO that will run you through the basics and maybe a set-up stage. Some clubs do safety checks and this may be a route to take.

Sign up for the Practical Shooting Safety Course at Rio Salado: http://www.rsscaz.com/divisions/practical-pistol/pssc/. This class is required for new shooters to shoot the matches there unless you're already classified and Rio has the most USPSA matches per month in the Phoenix area. If you want to take additional classes after this course before competing I'm sure the instructors can give you some guidance on that. (I haven't taken this course, but I'm sure you'll find it helpful).

There are a bunch of shooters in the Phoenix area on here; I'm sure we'd all be happy to help you through your first match as well :)

Come shoot Intro to Steel at Rio Salado: http://www.rsscaz.com/divisions/practical-pistol/%EF%BB%BFintro-steel/

It's on the 4th Sunday of the month and is for people who know how to work their pistols but have no match experience. Although it is called Intro to Seel it is more like "Intro to Matches But With Steel Instead of Paper to Speed Things Up" but that's not nearly as easy to say. From your post it sounds like the perfect fit for you.

AWESOME!

Those all sound like exactly like what I'm looking for!

It's funny that there' s such an overabundance of tactical training in the valley, but much fewer competition-oriented classes. I wish you were at Ben Avery, as I'm in Sun City, but the drive is not bad for such a perfect fit.

All ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Ive also had my nose in Brian's book (and PDF! ) :-) and Matt Burkett"s videos. Great stuff!

Edited by Niltreth

AWESOME!

It's funny that there' s such an overabundance of tactical training in the valley, but much fewer competition-oriented classes.

I wish you were at Ben Avery, as I'm in Sun City, but the drive is not bad for such a perfect fit.

Cactus combat match league shoots at Ben Avery. Practice match every Thursday starting at 5:45pm. There's a new shooters meeting, and an instructor/mentor that goes with the new shooters to every stage to walk them through it.

Follows USPSA rules (except scoring, which is simplified), so it's good prep for real matches. Like rssc, you don't have to be a member to shoot.

cactusmatch.com

Steel Challenge is definitely a great way to start shooting real matches... Comparatively minimal mechanics to mess up (moving, reloading on the clock, no-shoot targets, etc), lots of shooting, and lots of fun. :)

Jake M

FY86388

https://azshooters.org

AWESOME!

It's funny that there' s such an overabundance of tactical training in the valley, but much fewer competition-oriented classes.

I wish you were at Ben Avery, as I'm in Sun City, but the drive is not bad for such a perfect fit.

You can email Kippi at kip@robleatham.com to discuss this with her, but I think you'd be better off starting with Into to Steel and not the Practical Shooting Safety Course. The PSSC is more to tell you how to do things according to the rules, not to teach you how to do them initially (I hope that makes sense). I2S is not officially a class but there are plenty of people there that will answer your questions and help you through the match. You won't draw from a holster at first, and the stages are simple enough that you won't be overloaded trying to remember the competition part along with the shooting and safety parts.

Tactical dudes don't really want to learn how to shoot, because then you would have to master the fundamentals, they just want to look TactiCool.... OP, you live in the Valley of the Sun, for competition shooting, there is like 20 Grand Masters per square mile.

I knew I could get great responses here...without all the typical ego. You guys seem to understand exactly where I'm at. See, I work with a guy who has sort of taken me under his wing...and offered to take me out and set up a stage and run me through it. He's also let me tag along and watch a couple of his matches which probably screwed up his zen.

But I've already bothered him with a million questions, and I am kind of hoping to get a little instruction and surprise him with the fact that I'm not a total idiot. I want to go to my first match with him and have him say "hey this kid did his homework".

I'm not really a kid of course hell I'm 54, but I think he's in his early sixties and he's really been kind to me about taking me under his wing! What a great person! Seems to be a common trait amongst IPSC TYPES, and that's why I'm drawn to this particular branch of competitive shooting. Even Brian took the time to offer a few words of advice to me...where else can you find that caliber of individual who's just not saturated in their own ego?! Another down-to-earth and wonderful person!

You all's advice is SO appreciated, and seems 100% spot-on.

Edited by Niltreth

Not all tactical guys are all about looking cool. I came into uspsa to improve my shooting for defensive reasons. I'm willing to bet most tactical classes are more about basics than not.

I've actually taken "Defensive Pistol I and II classes, and that's why I'm a believer in getting good instruction right up front....

That's also why I have pretty good safe gun handling range skills, am not completely new to the pistol and reloading skills, and probably have some "Weaver-esque" stance and grip habits to break! Lol!

Edited by Niltreth

You'll soon find that many in the shooting sports are a higher than average class of human being. It really is amazing the percentage of people that will go out of their way to help a guy out.

I am always surprised how nice everyone is on this forum. I hardly ever see any personal attacks...

You'll soon find that many in the shooting sports are a higher than average class of human being. It really is amazing the percentage of people that will go out of their way to help a guy out.

Yup! It reminds me of the way Alaska {where I grew up} used to be.

And Sun City here (full of us "old-schoolers") still, for the most part, still seems to be that way!

People here look out for each other...and still remember what common courtesy is. You just don't find that downtown anymore. What a blessing!

Edited by Niltreth

+1 with all the comments regarding Rio and the matches. Would also recommend whatever match you go to, tell them you are new. I have yet to see someone not volunteer and mentor you through the match.

Be safe, focus on fundamentals and the rest will come.