Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 grain bullet question

CrashDodson

I am new to reloading. I have a STI mutt that I want to have some minor and major loads for. As a member of a shooting squad i will be sourcing bullets from ibejihead. When looking at their 180 grain options there are two sizes. a .401 and .400. I am not sure the significance of the difference in size. Could someone enlighten me as to why I would choose one over the other? Thanks in advance.

Chamber tolerances would be the biggest reason. If you have an AET barrel then the .400 would be the best choice. My SVI AET barrel will only tolerate .400 bullets. My Tanfos would eat .401 (Bayou Bullets) no problem. Accuracy should be similar with either bullet. .400 size would be your safest choice. Good luck.

There are exceptions to every rule. However, in general, lead bullets should be .001" larger in diameter than the bore. That applies to lubed lead, poly coated and plated. Your best bet is to get a lubed lead bullet or a .402" dia round slug and slug your bore. That way you know for sure.

If you don't want to slug your barrel, then just buy 250 of each diameter and see which one is the most accurate.

It really doesn't have to be dead soft. Swagged lead bullets are dead soft. Bullseye lead bullets are usually about Br18~21 hardness. The only difference is it will take a little more effort to move the "hard" bullet down the barrel.

If you want the most precise slug, go to Dardas Cast Bullets http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=dardas&Category_Code=SLUGS He sells them for $1 ea plus shipping. You push it down your bore, wrap it carefully and send it back to him. He will email you the bore dia. If you want to try his excellent bullets, just order them +.001" over the diameter he gave you. He sizes to multiple diameters.