Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Mounted vs Frame Mounted Red Dot Optic

Joedbenson

The older series of slide mounted did not hold up. I had a Docter "bullet proofed" (which was expensive) and it did not stand up to being run on an open gun.

The new generation like the RMR remains to be seen. I am having one mounted on a Glock for CO division. Time will tell.

To your question...I would stay with a side mounted C-more for Open. They normally outlast the gun.

I am building a CZ P01 PCR for CO division and I went with the rmr dual illuminated green 9 moa dot. Since there are no electronics it should hold up better than the standard MRDS. My open gun does have a sideways mounted cmore and it rocks too :D

I ran a slide mounted Doctor on a 38 Super years ago, and it lasted two seasons. But, I tried it again recently, but opted for the side mounted Cmore. I personally think Production Optics... read, minor loads... are about as much stress as a slide mounted sight can take.post-2705-144197902376_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I ran a slide mounted Doctor on a 38 Super years ago, and it lasted two seasons. But, I tried it again recently, but opted for the side mounted Cmore. I personally think Production Optics... read, minor loads... are about as much stress as a slide mounted sight can take.attachicon.gif100_0388.JPG

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Huh? There's people running slide mounted red dots on every caliber under the sun with no issues.

Edited by bruceg

The nice thing about the C-more slide ride is durability and the ability to change out the diode. The micro red dots provide a smaller form factor and can be slide or frame mounted. Cost is another consideration, depending on the micro red dot of your preference you could likely buy 2 slide rides. I have a slide ride mounted on my open gun and micro mounted on an M&P, and have not had any issues with the slide ride. In choosing a micro you have to accept a little more risk in optic failure. There are plenty of shooters that have had success with micro dots (frame or slide mounted), and relatively few have issues with slide rides. It boils down to personal preference and each shooter has their own flavor of what right feels/looks right. For an open gun the overall size of the setup is not a factor, and I would recommend a slide ride mounted vertical/horizontal. For a carry gun/CO I might recommend a micro slide ride with co-witness iron sights.

• 1 month later...

... but is one considered faster than the other? How about 'better' from a results POV?

This is a great discussion on the topic of major vs minor. http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/4239-limited-minor/

For open, it comes down to points. It is a must.

You might as well shoot .40 in open if you don't care about being competitive.

In theory I would think that the slide mounted optics would be slower to acquire after a shot has been fired. The fact that the slide dot moves back with the slide and also up and down with the recoil of the gun while the cmore style is just how much can you manage the recoil of the gun.

Edited by crazygiant

I went from a vertical frame-mount C-More to a slide-mounted Docter sight, then back to a frame-mounted sight. I can definitely track the dot better with the frame mounts. Right now I have an RTS2 on a Cheely mount. Probably the best of both worlds. If I had to pick a 2nd option it would be a sideways frame-mounted big C-More but I have not owned one, just fired a mag or 2 through other people's guns.

The best for USPSA and IPSC Open Division is frame mounted red optic while for 3Gun the best is slide mount red dot. The reason are as follows: In USPSA and IPSC requires 2 shots which means you can have a faster follow-up shot with a frame mounted slide (less movement of the frame equals less time tracking the dot for the follow up shot). The reciprocation mass of the slide will cause the red dot mounted slide to move and harder to track. However, for 3 Gun competition all you need is one shot for each target. As such, you can tract the red dot mounted slide while you are transitioning to the next target. Based on history, Chris Tilley won the 2015 USPSA Open Nationals with a frame mounted red dot (he used SV Infinity frame with his own custom design mount). His design is different from what the traditional frame mount that is in the market today because his red dot optic is positioned right above where the rear sight is (slightly aligned with the firing pin stop). He told me he will publish in social media as soon as it's available for sale. As of right now they are still working on the prototype. In addition, Max Michell, won in the same division in 2013 and 2014 with a traditional upright frame mounted red dot. Eric Grauffell and JJ Racaza won the World Shot with frame mounted red dot as well. Therefore, as of this time the frame mounted red dot optic wins over the slide mounted optics for Open Division in USPSA and IPSC.

Edited by 1911A12011

I started out (in open) with a slide mounted sight. After several sight issues (Burris), I installed a frame mount and Leupold Delta Point. I immediately discovered the frame mount to be way more user friendly, and do not loose the dot. So, I personally feel slide mounted dots just plain suck :)