Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primary Arms 1-8 FFP Platinum Series Scope Review

Looks like the FOV is 10% less on 1x versus the razor. I like a big FOV!

Yea but it also goes 2x higher on the top end and you can dial with ease if you want. Both are great scopes and I own both.

Pat

But 95% of the shooting we do in 3-gun is on 1X.

It did fine on 1x for me and my shooting buddy in the review. Its another good viable choice thats all. Not saying you should get rid of your Razor II I like both. I will point out that 5% can make a match difference. One of my best finishes at a major match was after I did very well on the 1 long range stage they had and my standing went from 14th to 8th place.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the FOV is 10% less on 1x versus the razor. I like a big FOV!

Yea but it also goes 2x higher on the top end and you can dial with ease if you want. Both are great scopes and I own both.

Pat

But 95% of the shooting we do in 3-gun is on 1X.

It did fine on 1x for me and my shooting buddy in the review. Its another good viable choice thats all. Not saying you should get rid of your Razor II I like both. I will point out that 5% can make a match difference. One of my best finishes at a major match was after I did very well on the 1 long range stage they had and my standing went from 14th to 8th place.

Pat

Good point. A big FOV is important no doubt but doing well in the long range stage usually separates themes from the boys. It would be interesting to run some target transition drills with wide transition with both scopes to determine how much ifs my 10% less FOV matters.

Then on long range 300-600 yards. See how much faster if at all you are on first shot hits with 2X more magnification. Then set a series of 3-4 targets at 300+ spread just far enough apart that the decreased FOV on 8x versus 6x causes you to come off the scope to find the next target.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

What do you think is the better reticle for 3gun, the BDC or the mil

Depends on the user. I prefer mills personally because I think in mills. But others may prefer a BDC. The problem with a BDC for me is its never just right for your load so you end up tweaking your zero or writing a dope card anyway to match your load.

Well, I got my PA 1-8 scope in today. I don't have it mounted yet, but my reaction to it so far is...warm, I guess. I ordered the BDC model, but received the Mil version--which is fine. It may turn out to be more versatile in the end. Comparing it directly to my Razor, I would say that on 1x, the Razor has it beat as far as flatness, lack of distortion / fisheye, and dot. Also the PA has a noticeable yellow tint to the glass at 1x--although that could be an affect caused by fluorescent lights indoors--I'll report back after it's mounted and I get some rounds through it. That being said, there is nothing wrong with the PA on 1x--it's far better than a lot of other 6x and even 4x scopes that I've had or used.

At full magnification, I actually feel like the PA looks better--the glass is really clear all the way out to the edges, and it looks better on 8x than it does on 1x. I had a hard time seeing any difference in the magnification between the Razor at 6x and the PA at 8x. I know there is a difference, but I couldn't see it looking at 10" plates at 400 yards. I did look at a stop sign at what I guesstimate at 800 to 900 yards, and I could clearly read the 'STOP' on the sign with the PA, and that same sign was barely readable with the Razor. So there is a difference, but it's hard to see. What was different is the 'forgiving-ness' of the eye-box. The eye-box on the PA at 8x is very unforgiving compared to the Razor.

The busyness of the Mil reticle leaves me longing for a JM-1 type reticle, but enough people have told me that a Mil reticle is better, that I figured I'd give it a shot.

All in all, I'm not getting rid of my Vortex Razors just yet. I'll report back after I get some rounds down range.

Oh, and, holy crap this thing is heavy!

Once you get used to a mil reticle, they work really good. It just takes a little getting used to. My 18 yr old nephew is getting into 3G and long range, and I have him setting everything up in mils. He has no idea, but as soon as I start calling dope for him, it will get real clear in an instant. Don't worry about the weight, that cuts down on the recoil!

Well, I got my PA 1-8 scope in today. I don't have it mounted yet, but my reaction to it so far is...warm, I guess. I ordered the BDC model, but received the Mil version--which is fine. It may turn out to be more versatile in the end. Comparing it directly to my Razor, I would say that on 1x, the Razor has it beat as far as flatness, lack of distortion / fisheye, and dot. Also the PA has a noticeable yellow tint to the glass at 1x--although that could be an affect caused by fluorescent lights indoors--I'll report back after it's mounted and I get some rounds through it. That being said, there is nothing wrong with the PA on 1x--it's far better than a lot of other 6x and even 4x scopes that I've had or used.

FWIW, the PA 1-6x had this same brownish/yellowish tint so it looks like they're just using the same glass.

FWIW, the PA 1-6x had this same brownish/yellowish tint so it looks like they're just using the same glass.

They're definitely not using the same glass...

Edited by Garmil

• 4 weeks later...

Umm NO! I have both scopes and the 1-8 has glass as clear as my Swaorvski Z6i and my Vortex Razor 2.

Pat

Sorry dude, thanks for the clarification. I don't have the 1-8x so only based my statement on that picture and my previous PA 1-6x gen 2

No worries but just a night and day difference. The 1-6 is a good but entry level scope with glass to match. The 1-8 Premier is a top tier optic competing with the best at a good price but not cheap. I really like mine. Best balance of price and features I have seen.

Pat

• 2 months later...

Three Gun Range Report with the Primary Arms 1-8.
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-platinum-series-1-8x24-front-focal-plane-scope-with-advanced-cqb-mil-reticle/p/kt-pa1-8x24ffp-ad-mil/
On 4-10-16 I completed in a local three-gun match using the Primary Arms Premier 1-8 Scope. I shot two divisions using the same rifle, Open and Tac optics. I placed 2nd in Open and 4th in Tac Optics. This is my first time using this optic in an actual match. It did not disappoint. This match tested the optics speed more than its precision due to their being closer range shots and the longest shots being at around 200 yards. For this match I shot on 1x for all but a few shots. This was my first match since September so I was a little rusty. I had a great time shooting this scope. I showed it off to most of the other shooters at the match and they were impressed with the optics clarity. I am hoping the next match will have states where I can stretch its legs and use the 8x top end. Here are few videos and photos from the match. I owe a special thanks to my girlfriend Jennifer Meyer for being a trooper and filming me and also running the I pad to score the match. This was the first time she had ever been to a three gun match.

Here is a link to a prior review I have done on this optic.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?173511-Primary-Arms-1-8-Platinum-Series-review
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?181156-Getting-ready-for-the-3-gun-season Edited by Alaskapopo

• 8 months later...