Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primary Arms 1-8 FFP Platinum Series Scope Review

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Product Review Primary Arms 1-8 Platinum Series Mil Scope part 2.
Date 9-14-15
Long range testing:
This part of the test was pretty simple. I confirmed zero at 100 yards and then dialed .5 mil for 200 yards and 1.5 mils for 300 and 2.5 for 400 and everything hit like it should. I was shooting at steel targets.
Short range CQB testing.

Myself and my shooting buddy Greg took part in these drills. 3 USPSA targets were used at a range of 12 yards and they were spaced about 4 yards apart. Scoring was a IDPA time plus system. .5 seconds were given for a C zone hit and 1.5 seconds for a D zone hit. Neither of us missed. Scope magnification was set to 1x.
Drill 1.
Shooter starts at low ready at the sound of the buzzer he shoots target 1 one with one round center mass. Time is recorded and then drill is repeated on target 2 and then on target 3. This drill was done twice. Once with the illumination on the scope off and the next set was done with the illumination on. The point of this drill was to see how fast a shooter could acquire the target and scope reticle and fire.
Results
Time
Greg Illumination off average time for all 3 targets was 1.26 seconds.
Greg Illumination on average 1.11
Pat Illumination off average time for all 3 targets was 1.16 seconds.
Pat Illumination on average 1.12
I tallied up the accuracy at the end of all the drills looking back I should have done it as I went. Read ahead. Greg shot a bit more accurately than me and as a result I had to buy him lunch.
Drill 2.
Shooter starts at the low ready and at the sound of the buzzer he engages targets 1-3 with one round each. The drill was repeated 3 times. Illumination was left on for both shooters on the scope.
Greg’s Average 2.87
Pat’s Average 3.02
Drill 3
Shooter performs a failure to stop drill from the low ready on target 2. We just did this once.
Greg’s time 2.40
Pat’s time 2.66
Drill 4.
Shooter starts in Low ready and performs 1 head shot on target one. Time is recorded and then shooter repeats on target 3. (that gave us each 20 rounds total fired)
Greg’s average 1.45
Pat’s average 1.50
Accuracy
Greg had 17 A hits and 3 C hits
Pat had 13 A hits and 7 C hits. ( I know sloppy)
Gregs total score was 22.46 seconds once penalties were added in and mine was 24.99. Loser had to buy lunch.
I shot Drill’s 1 and 2 again with my rifles off set red dot sight to give a comparison. My hits were worse with me scoring 6 C hits and 1 D hit.
Times are as follows.
Drill one Average 1.05 Compared to 1.12 with the scope set on 1x with the illumination on.
Drill 2 Average was 2.67 Compared to the scope at 3.02. The dot was faster on raw time but the scope won over all due to the penalties from poor hits. I shot sloppier with the dot.
CONCLUSION:
This scope was very easy to use up close. The eye relief was never a problem and the reticle was easy to find even with the illumination off. I will keep giving my impressions of the scope as time goes on but as of now I am a satisfied customer.
Prison%20range%20400%20yards_zpskryhaqff

Me_zpswk10ksp7.jpg

Greg_zpsyojowkrp.jpg

Close%20quarters%20drills_zps4hiuhzlf.jp

Pat, how about simulating mortoring out a round (or immediate action drill) a few times and see if it holds zero? I have seen a few rifles appear to loose zero because of this while ROing matches.

I am going to be honest with you I am not going to torture test a $1300 optic that I paid for with my own money. If I have to do this in a match fine but I am not going to be abusing this optic just for the sake of testing.

Pat, how about simulating mortoring out a round (or immediate action drill) a few times and see if it holds zero? I have seen a few rifles appear to loose zero because of this while ROing matches.

I am going to be honest with you I am not going to torture test a $1300 optic that I paid for with my own money. If I have to do this in a match fine but I am not going to be abusing this optic just for the sake of testing.

Fair enough

What the heck, it's under warrantee! ? Mortoring is what caused the demise of my first 3-gun scope which was a primary arms. It was on the clock, not a test. They credited my money back towards a Burris tac-30. I was happy with the company, not the scope. I hope they have improved their product. It does look like a nice scope, and I appreciate Pats write up.

Edited by bmiller

What the heck, it's under warrantee! Mortoring is what caused the demise of my first 3-gun scope which was a primary arms. It was on the clock, not a test. They credited my money back towards a Burris tac-30. I was happy with the company, not the scope. I hope they have improved their product. It does look like a nice scope, and I appreciate Pats write up.

Same thing happened to my PA 1x6 during a match. Stuck case mortored it, was off considerably after that. Did not trust it and returned the scope and they sent a new one right away. Good CS.

gerritm

What the heck, it's under warrantee! Mortoring is what caused the demise of my first 3-gun scope which was a primary arms. It was on the clock, not a test. They credited my money back towards a Burris tac-30. I was happy with the company, not the scope. I hope they have improved their product. It does look like a nice scope, and I appreciate Pats write up.

Out of curiosity, which scope died—was it the first gen 1–6x, the second gen 1–6x, or something different?

1x4 kinda looked like the millet dmr.

They are made at the same factory just a different reticle. Marshall uses a lot of different factories for his products. You get the same product as many higher priced items like Burris, Millet etcs just cheaper but with a shorter warranty. The 1-8 is made in Japan with Japaneses Glass like the Vortex Razor 2 line.

• 2 months later...

The 5 year warranty is a bit of a letdown. Cant beat the Vortex on that front.

Over on barfcom, in the new product threads, the PA rep said they changed it to a lifetime warranty and that prices would go up around the first of the year. I just ordered one last week...cant wait to try it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the FOV is 10% less on 1x versus the razor. I like a big FOV!

Yea but it also goes 2x higher on the top end and you can dial with ease if you want. Both are great scopes and I own both.

Pat

But 95% of the shooting we do in 3-gun is on 1X.

For the matches near me, the time on 1x is less. We have many targets out long. But, this type of analysis of an optic is very instructional to all of us. Knowing how to match equipment to requirements is important.