Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First try with coated - how's the crimp look on a pulled bullet?

LeviSS

I got some bayous the other day. I had read on here that you should make up a dummy and pull the bullet to see if the crimp is ok. I did and this is what I ended up with. It's got a slight ring around it...you can feel it with your fingernail, but its not bad.

Is this too much crimp or is it acceptable?

post-59552-0-33098000-1441668932_thumb.j

From the pic I'd say slightly too much. You don't want to "crimp", you merely want to straighten the side of the case. Neck tension is what is supposed to hold the bullet in place. Only crimp if loading ammo for a revolver and crimping into the groove provided.

If your sizing die sizes the case so you end up with the "wasp waist" look that is the very best, as you won't ever have any bullet set back with that result.

Thanks guys.

There's no difference that I can tell with a caliper.

I just loaded these using my dies set up exactly as they were for reloading the plated bullets I've been using. I had never pulled a bullet after crimping to check for this. Is it bad for plated too? I'm kinda nervous to change my crimp...I hate setting crimp.

I have noticed the slight "wasp waist" look with my loads. I've never had a problem with setback.

If you can see the bare lead underneath, then that's too much crimp. Depending on which powder you use, having exposed lead will generate more smoke. I crimp to about .377-.378 with coated bullets and don't have any issues with smoke. Though I can see a slight indentation in the coating, the coating is still intact.

When I first started reloading/crimping, I pulled a few commercially produced bullets. What I saw was an everso slight score, barely noticeable. You had to do a double take to see it.

I presume those were copper jacketed bullets? If so, that sounds about right as a max "crimp".

With these coated lead bullets, you really don't want to score or mar the coating. You can, and it will likely only make your results worse if anything at all, but it isn't necessary, just remove the bell as many have stated.

give 'em a test fire.... If they shoot OK and there is no leading you are good to go. If there are problems, back of a quarter turn on the crimp and try again. You will soon get the hang of dealing with coated bullets, I have been shooting them since 1994 in one form or another and am almost there !

Edited by Service Desk

Really, I just knock out the bell. If you took your nail from the bullet to case, you'll get stuck on my loads. If I break a bullet down there is the slightest ring. I shoot a Glock with a KKM barrel and I've shot a few 1" groups from 25 yards; YMMV.

Only enough crimp to get rid of the bell, and only enough bell to seat the bullet. I run .005" bell on a side, and use the wipe test to check for enough crimp. Mark the case with a black marker, and after it goes thru the crimp cycle, it should wipe .010-.015" off the case length.

image37094.jpg

image37093.jpg

Edited by 9x45