Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 or 2011

SV650Squid

I'm currently shooting Production with a G34, and I've shot 6 matches. I should be a C when classifiers are run next (screwed up my first 2 and shot in the 20%'s and shot 2 in the 60%'s, ).

I've always shot Glocks, but I'm kind of bored with them. I simply want to try something new.

I'm selling a motorcycle, and should be able to get $4500 out of it, which will be all recreation money.

I'm currently enjoying the stage planning that goes into Production, but blasting away with a limited gun looks like fun. Also, there's not a lot of people shooting Production at my club. It's usually 2-4 shooters out of ~30. The largest group of shooters is always in Limited.

So, should I use this to get into limited, or get an SP-01 Shadow (or an ACCU Shadow)?

Yes, I realize just getting a new gun won't make me an instant GM or even make me better. I really just want to have a nicer new gun I can also compete with.

Whatever your choice, leave some room in your budget for a press and reloading components. Personally I would choose the CZ, a Dillon XL650 and reloading components. After cutting your teeth in production for a season you'll know which division you'll want to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a press (LNL AP), 20 lbs of N320, about 13k small pistol primers, and a few thousand MG 124 gr JHP's from the last case I've bought.

I've shot for fun and work for about 6 years and reloaded for about 4.

I'll be buying a case feeder for the LNL AP before I buy a gun, but it runs smooth so I have no reason to sell it for a dillon yet.

If production has few people where you shoot mostly I'd choose a Limited gun then. If you're tracking your progress and want to improve it will be easier to measure when you have a larger sample size.

Either choice will require you to learn some new gun handling stuff and maintenance stuff. I also strongly suggest shooting one gun and one division for at least a year to really get the most improvement in that time.

Was recently in a very similar position. Was shooting a Glock 34 just getting started in Production when I also ended up selling a motorcycle. I used the money from the motorcycle sale and bought an STI DVC Limited in .40. I have been shooting Limited Major and am really enjoying it. Love the new gun as it has renewed my motivation to go shoot matches. I don't think it has made me any better, or worse, of a shooter by itself. I think it has gotten me more motivated to practice and dry fire more, which has helped me improve somewhat. I really love the new gun and so far no regrets on spending the money on it. No experience with the CZ platform, but the 2011 has been great. Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

Both divisions are great fun, but if you are really set on changing gun, then I would go for a 2011 for the simple reason that you say that there are many more shooters in that division in your club - this will probably provide more competition which will mean that you will have higher yardsticks against which to measure yourself (and set as goals).

As always, try to shoot either platform before you spend your cash :-)

As always, try to shoot either platform before you spend your cash :-)

This is probably the best idea.

I've shot 2 of my friend's 1911's, and they shoot well. They just didn't jump at me (positive side, they're going to go in my gun safe while my buddy moves to Japan for the Air Force :lol:) . Finding a CZ to shoot will be more difficult in my area. There is an SP-01 in the display locally, and it feels wonderful. I just don't know anyone that owns or rents one.

I need to ask someone at the next match if I can put a few rounds through their limited gun. My biggest worry is grip size since I have girl hands.

Edited by SV650Squid

I had this same question not so long ago. Ultimately it depends on what you want to do or what your expectations are. You could get a CZ Shadow 9mm that lets you shoot Production and Limited minor, but you would be at a scoring disadvantage in Limited. If your goal is to just have fun and become a better shooter, the lost points might not be that big of a deal to you. If points matter, I'm told you need a CZ Tac Sport (high capacity .40sw) to be competitive in Limited. I like the balance/feel of the 75 / 75 shadow and not so much the SP01 or Tac Sport so I was looking at the 75 SA for Limited Only and the 75 shadow DA for Production/Limited. I like the strategy too so I'm sticking with Single Stack ('same game' as Production, slightly different scenario with points).

I love CZs - I was completely hooked on them until shooting a 1911. The 1911 didn't 'jump at me' like the CZ did after shooting poly production guns, but something about the look and feel made me change direction. After getting my 1911 I went back to the range to try the CZ and it felt totally different to me, almost like taking a step backwards (toward common production guns). I really grew into my 1911 and totally love it. I like the balance, longer barrel, and SA trigger on the 1911. CZ is still my second favorite but I'm leaning toward another 1911. CZ 75 is lighter and shorter - it feels quicker to move between targets. The longer sights of the 1911 make it seem like it would be more accurate, but really both guns are about as accurate as you can get for a gun out of the box and for IPSC style shooting obviously the CZ does well.

There are a lot of similarities between CZ and a 1911. The CZ feels a little more sculpted to the hand and the controls are a little more compact/easy to reach out of the box, although a 1911/2011 with the right options would get you there too. Both are solid, steel guns (some 2011 have polymer grip structure). CZ 75 or SP01 has a shorter barrel and production guns have a DA/SA trigger.

Not all 1911s are the same - after shooting mine I've become very selective in the guns I want to own/shoot. The guy who took me shooting 1911s for the first time has 4-5 (mostly Colt, different calibers) and after I got my Sig, he shot it and needs one too. I'm sure a custom 2011 would be different still. I personally like fatter grips so I'd be fine with one if I wanted to shoot Limited. Supposedly the grip size doesn't measure that different, but the ones I've held seemed to be a little wider (rounder?) than a 1911. I even padded my 1911 grips out a little.

Tanfoglio is another option - they are based off the CZ but have a slightly different look, different barrel/dust cover options, etc. Parts and service appears to be a bit more spotty than CZ but not impossible.

Don't forget that a hammer-action gun in Production needs to start hammer-down so you manually have to de-cock at the start of every stage. I didn't really want to deal with that. I've done it dozens of times and you can be perfectly safe about it, but if something happens and you screw it up an AD sends you home for the day. It also means the first shot of every stage is DA. These are not a concern/issue for some and a deal breaker for others. For me, maybe one day - but there are other guns and divisions with different rules.

If I really wanted to shoot Production I would get a CZ 75 Shadow in a heart beat. If I wanted to be competitive in Limited, I would get a 2011. My choice is to shoot the best gun and keep the 10rd reload strategy, I'd shoot a 1911 in Single Stack :)

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 2 weeks later...

I decided on a Shadow.

20150923_184120_zpseluwrefq.jpg

Mags are cheaper, I'm already setup for 9mm reloading, and this thing is sweet!

Edit: There was a 9mm Edge at the local gunshop for $2200 with 5 mags. It would have been more tempting if it was in .40 to shoot limited.

Edited by SV650Squid

I'm actually in a very similar situation, but so far I'm only considering on selling my (4500€) motorcycle and pretty much having to choose between a CZ open build (890€+parts and work) and an STI Matchmaster/Trubor (3400€/3300€). Either will be my first (own) pistol.

I've shot my dad's CZ since I was like five years old so it fits my hand very nicely. I have no idea what the open build will weigh in, but the standard one feels nicely light and nimble. I've shot with my friends trubor for this season, I kinda like it but it feels heavy and slow. I'm not sure if its worth to spend a bit over 2000 euros in a cz build when you can get an STI for a grand more... Luckily I have the whole winter to research and decide :)

I shoot a cz shadow custom czc#91715 the gun is amazing as is, i shoot it in production class uspsa, then in the afternoon i switch to a single action lower and run limited it is a blast to shoot no hiccups ever! Cz custom is the way to go for me!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I read lots of posts on this forum about tweaking 2011s and problems people have with them. I don't see a lot of people bitching about their Shadows being sensitive. I've got 10k rounds through my Shadow and have no desire to shoot anything else. I like shooting Production because I don't have to worry about whether I lightened my slide too much. Most Production guns just work. I advise you to shoot Production for a while. You can buy the gun and all the mags, belts, mag pouches and a great reloading set up for the price of just the 2011.

After that, if you are still really into USPSA in a few years, go buy the Limited gun if that's what you want to do.

Shoot the Glock 34 in Limited minor with Dawson extended base pads that increase capacity to 22 reloadable. Get a Vanek trigger. Buy more bullets and components. Shoot more. Shoot more. Shoot more. You can make it to A class easily without that gun holding you back. Then decide on what you want. What you want now may not be what you want when you reach A class.

I read that the average life span of a USPSA member is three years. Go hog wild in the 4th year!

If you decide on the 2011, I recommend a Brazos HP Edge.

P.S.

Get a Dillon 650 and a Case Pro 100.

Edited by Red Ryder

• 4 months later...

You could always get a CZ Tactical Sport for a good limited gun. It is single action only and made for competition. If you later decide to move into Open class you can go with a Czechmate an already be used to the feel and handling (since a czechmate is built on a Tactical Sport frame). Better yet, just go ahead and buy a czechmate. Use if for limited without the optics and Open with optic.

I realize the OP already made his decision, but for others reading this thread, another option could be this... Get a .40 cal Tanfoglio Stock II (CZ Clone) or similar DA/SA .40 cal gun then you can load major and minor loads for it, and you can just swap out the base pads for limited and production. Same goes for magwells. For limited you just start cocked and locked.

I have a CzCustom 75 shadow #91715 no rail, I use it for production and it runs great, quick on target, fits my small hands well , you can shoot several matches in between cleanings (I clean every time) mags are cheap Mecgar 17 round blue follower works great, and about $25 per. I also have an sti 2011 in 9mm, this guns a bit different in the grip department, I like the grip and feel but it is very different from the shadow, the only issue I have had is magazines reliability, and cost, I have 8 140mm with grams springs and followers, and Dawson base pads, I have yet to try them out (with new internals), gun is very smooth and trigger is fantastic. Recently I picked up an SVI 40 s&w Swat pistol with 6 old SVI mags the fit is amazing and the grip seems smaller than standard 2011 STI. In conclusion, both are awesome just shoot them you will see! Good luck my 2 cents Kevin