Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling Kansas City Area Members...Need Advice

pxm142

There is a strong possibility that I could be relocating to the Kansas City area next year for work. We are researching places to live and places to shoot. My company's office is in Overland Park, so we're looking in that general vicinity. We don't want to live in the city or even the suburbs, preferring something as rural as possible, within a reasonable commute distance. A good shooting location nearby is extremely important.

A quick browse indicates there are plenty of matches in the KC area, but I'm looking for recommendations on home clubs...where do you practice and go shoot just for fun? Any suggestions on clubs and ranges to use and or avoid? Our first scouting trip is coming up and we'll probably take some gear along to get a match or two in while there.

Thanks gang!

I live in Mac Acres. There are several homes for sale in the area. We are about 6 miles from west Overland Park, I/2 mile west of K7 on 83rd. St.

I'm about 1 mile from Powder Creek. They have mostly shotgun (trap, skeet, spordting clays) with some Cowboy Action thrown in.

About 4 miles from Mill Creek Rifle club with 100, 200, 300 and 500 yard rifle and several pistol bays. They have benchrest and other rifle matches (I don't know what they are all called), USPSA, bowling pins, Swiss Pistol and other handgun matches.

About 10 miles from Tri County Rod and Gun Club with a big archery club with 3D archery, field archery, 3 woods walks, 3 fishing lakes, 100 & 200 yd. rifle, blackpowder range, Metallic Silhouette matches.

These are all outdoor ranges. There are 3 indoor ranges within 20 miles, Cabela's and Bass Pro a few miles each.

If you're going to work in OP, and you want to live rural, I would be looking to live in the Desoto/Gardner/Paola/Linwood/Eudora areas. Mill Creek would be your best bet for a range to join. Topeka has a club that would be good for monthly matches, but would be tough to live close to there, and drive to OP for work.

Mill creek has a nice club. Desoto will have a decent commute. Local matches are Pioneer or Kearney practice matches on
Tuesday nights. Bullet hole indoor match on Fridays. and Topeka, Pioneer outdoor, Millcreek, Higginsville and Lamar for weekend matches within 2 hours drive.​

Here is a link to Bullet hole practical shooting club that list all the local shoots.

http://www.bhpsc.us/wordpress/?page_id=1093

Archived