Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A little info on milling a Grand Power for a red dot

Just wanted to give some info on milling these guns for red dots in case it crossed anyone's mind.

We milled a customers K100 today for a Fastfire III. We assumed it would be a piece of cake as we've done quite a few CZ'S and the Grand Power seemed similar to the CZ platform.

We were WRONG. The customer wanted us to mill out the rear dovetail in the process of milling for the FF III. No problem...until we got the slide in hand and saw that that wasn't going to be possible as Grand Power conveniently milled the FPB recess exactly where one of the mounting holes would fall out. Problem number two was that in order to get any sort of depth at all with the red dot, we were going to mill into the FPB recess. The only option was to now use the bottom of the FF III as the point where the FPB spring would rest against. I called the customer and explained the situation. He agreed that moving the sight in front of the rear dovetail was about the only option we had, along with using the FF III bottom as the FPB stop. We milled just deep enough that the bottom of the FF III was at the same depth as where the OEM FPB hole would have been, so as not to sacrifice ANY reliability as far as the guns function. I'll post pics in a few days once the gun is coated.

Edit: Also, you have to keep in mind that the way these guns have a huge bevel on them, there is a gap between the bottom of the red dot and the slide on the edges. It is 100% impossible to mill deep enough down to not have that gap for two reasons. One - the FPB would no longer work - at all. Two - you would mill strait through the factory lightening slots Grand Power does in that area from the factory.

These guns do come with a bit of a challenge to mill, but we got it done! Haha

Can a Grand Power be milled for a red dot? Yes it can!

Edited by bruceg

So, if I understand, this is as low as it can go while still acting as the "roof" for the FPB?

Could it go lower on an X-Trim with no FPB?

Absolutely. If not for the FPB, we could have gone deeper on this one. The next obstacle you run into after the FPB though as far as depth is concerned is not going too far as to cut through the factory lightening cuts that Grand Power does inside the slide in that general area as they are pretty deep on the K100. I have the slide boxed up for shipment now, but if I had to guess, we could have probably gone another .075" or so deep if not for the FPB. Possibly deeper on another model as I've not had any other models in hand to know how deep those cuts are and all.

• 1 month later...

Here's another one we did. This one got cerakoted black after. :)

Image removed

Looks good! Another mk7 I see. Did the Cerakote cause any issues with the rotating barrel going into battery?
He didn't say. It wouldn't be unusual though. On guns with tighter tolerances, you'll often have to hand work the slide a bit to get parts jiving together as they should after cerakote. We see it with a lot of guns we do.