Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Load Data: 9 major, 124 jhp, 5" bbl w/ comp & no pop-hole

BSComp

Need Load Data: 9 major, 124 jhp, 5" bbl w/ comp & no pop-holes. bbl is reamed for 1.170"

I have HS-6, Auto Comp, Silhouette, CFE Pistol.

Thanks for any load data,

I accept all load data at my own risk.

The "BEST" load is very personal.

Most at least start with HS6 or AutoComp (WAC).

Start around 6.5 gr WAC and work up slowly with a chrono (usually takes 6.7 - 7.0 grains)..

WAC is cleaner than HS6 and requires less powder - you'll need about another 1.0 grain

of HS6 - but some feel it feels better than the WAC.

Using Sil and some other powders is not a great place to start, IMHO - work up a WAC load first,

and then experiment at your own leisure. :cheers:

Loading for major 9 is well into the red zone, so one person's perfect load could be another's blown gun from over pressure. I spent a lot of time on the range with a pile of different load and a crono working up to what I have settled on. I suggest you choose one you have enough of and take some test loads and a crono to the range and figure out what you and your pistol likes best.

jmho

jj

JJ,

Thanks for the words of caution. My plan is to take some suggestions from this and other threads, back off them a bit and work up to "my gun's load" with a chrono.

I just figure that guys with experience in these matters are a lot better starting point than extrapolating a load from published load data. As stated in the original thread, "I accept all load data at my own risk".

Jack,

Thanks for the numbers, I'd like to get my hands on some more WAC, and I hear CFE-Pistol is awesome. I have mostly HS-6 for right now.

Thanks to both you guys!

6.8 WAC, 125 JHP or Blue Bullet ( yes they chrono within a PF or each other in my gun) SRP (cause I have alot of them) COL 1.170 blue bullet seating die is set the same for JHP but I don't have the COL right now.

8.0 grs HS-6, same as above both make 170 ish Pf in my gun

My start load was 7.7g silhouette behind a mg 124g cmj, winchester srp loaded to an oal of 1.170". It is what the 'smith of the pistol recommended and recorded right around 170pf. Little dirty, which didn't matter since I cleaned after every shoot, it worked and I never cracked my slide!

I'm a big fan of HS6, but it is much better under 115s than 124s in my opinion. The best 124 9mm load I have ever shot was 10gr of AA#7 under a 124 CMJ at 1.165 with a fed 205 SR primer. It gave me a 180PF out of my full size FGW open gun with 2 small popple holes but showed no pressure signs at all. It was the closest I ever got a 124gr load to feel to a 115gr load.

The first load I ever shot in my open gun was silhouette under a 124. It is a great powder for 9 major and I would take it over autocomp every single time

Edited by Desmo412