Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 VS SP01 Shadow vs 75 Shadow

Jrb305

Im looking at buying an SP01 or 75 Shadow, but not sure which model I should get. Will be used mainly for target/ Steel matches.

Is it better to get a higher end model and leave it at that, or buy a regular one and modify it?. What's everyone's experience and suggestions? What's the difference between the CZ 75 Shadow and the SP-01 Shadow?

Edited by Jrb305

The sp01 has a slightly large magwell flare, front and backstrap checkering.

I have both an sp01 (non-shadow) and a 75 shadow. I like how the 75 shadow feels better than the sp01. It feels better balanced in my hand.

Get a stock shadow (whether sp01 or 75) and do the mods yourself. It's not too difficult if you're handy.

None of the shops around here have anything more than a standard 75, so it's hard to tell which one would feel better. I've seen a few shadows pop up in the classifieds, maybe I'll jump on one of them.

i will probably be in minority. But my vote is for base model and DIY. You will, get definitely get familiar with inner workings.and I feel like better product.

Shadow has larger mag well, extra mag, extended mag release, different safety, fiber optic sights, no firing pin block,lighter recoil spring.

In full disclosure I do not own a shadow, but have handled them extensively, I do own a DIY modded spo1 tactical. Even with firing pin block I'd say mine exceeds stock shadow in trigger feel. And is just short of a custom shop gun trigger feel due to reset and take up of trigger. As far as internals my tactical is only lacking 2 parts from a custom gun.

You can feel a slight difference when handling gun in shop/ couch environ. However when shooting under pressure and after training with gun you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'm hoping to soon test side by side in near future,

I going to sit Down and do cost comparison/spreadsheet this weekend. Stock spo1 vs shadow vs custom vs DIY custom

I also like tinkering. And was very rewarding to see progress of build. I also appreciate It more having shot it in stock form.

But the spo1/ spo1 shadow. Is a different frame compared to 75 / 75 shadow. As previous post notes.

Edited by biglou13

I was lucky enough to be able to shoot side-by-side the Cz75 Shadow and the Cz75 SP01 Shadow. Both guns were identically customized by CZC.

I was immediately impressed with the balance of the 75 Shadow. The SP01 was nose heavy IMHO. Several people observed my good fortune and lined up for a chance to try the guns. All of them that I talked to agreed with me that the 75 Shadow felt better in-hand than the SP01. The differences were minor and I am sure that some people would prefer the SP01.

I chose to buy two of the 75 Shadows as customized by CZC. I know people say you can do the same thing yourself. I was unfamiliar with CZ's and wanted a gun ready to shoot. The extra cost was worth it to me and I would have incurred some of the same cost in doing the work myself. I have since seen some guns upgraded by their owners and they did a very good job. So far the best of them is not as good as my CZC versions but some are close.

Last time I looked Shooters Connection still has some of these in stock. $1300. Same as buying direct from CZC who typically does not have stock. I suggest you get one. I am more than pleased with mine.

I have not looked at the gun broker one. However, the CZ75 Shadow is a production gun that sells in the $800-900 price range. I am assuming that is what is being offered.

The "custom" gun from CZC (also being sold by Shooters Conn) is customized by CZC to the extent shown on the SC or CZC web pages. There is a vast difference. The custom gun is slick with better sights, a pre B connector and polished parts. The trigger pulls, both DA and SA are fantastic.

If you go to CZC, CAJUN GUN WORKS, OR AUTOMATIC ACCURACY you can look at the cost of having any of them perform the custom WORK on your gun. The guns on SC web site already have that work done by CZC. You are not likely to come out cheaper by buying a stock gun and having it upgraded versus buying the upgrade up front

Thanks for all the info Brooke. I don't mind doing my own work, but I would much rather buy a new gun that already has the work done! Less down time, more shooting/reloading time.

I am with you on that. Up until I got these CZ's, I shot Glocks. Didn't know much about CZ. I actually thought their product line was confusing...still do actually. I certainly was not in a position to start customizing them. I too would rather spend the time shooting.

I now plan to shoot CZ's period. Love the darn things. So maybe I will start leaning to customize my own. I know several people who routinely work on their own just as most Glock owners do. I guess that's my next stop.

Honestly I think you will love a CZ from the first shot. One caution...I rented a stock 75B several times. If you were blind folded you would never know the stock gun could be customized into the ones I bought. They are night and day.

I own and shoot a CZC SP-01 Shadow Target, a CGW SP-01 Shadow "Custom" and a CZC 75 Shadow. The Shadow Target (pre short reset) and CGW Shadow came with all the goodies from their respective shops while the 75 Shadow was bone stock.

Both SP-01 Shadows are very nice pistols however IMO the CGW Shadow Custom had a far nicer trigger setup which included the short reset. I've since done further polishing on both SP-01's, installed a CGW Type-1 disco and new sear in the Shadow Target, matched all springs, pins, grips, guide rods and setups (as best as my modest and novice gunsmithing chops would allow). At this point, I'm hard pressed to tell any performance difference between those two SP-01's and they both way outshoot my skill level.

I've also done a complete workup on the 75 Shadow with a combination of parts and knowledge from CGW, CZC and the KneelingAtlas threads in this forum. I tried to match parts and mimic the work done to my other Shadows as much as possible and am more than exstatic with the results especially the DA weight, rediculously short reset and ultra crisp break. This 75 Shadow's balance, ergonomics, feel and performance is second to none next to my other CZ's and it's quickly become my fave for IDPA and steel.

As always... YMMV...

Honestly I think you will love a CZ from the first shot. One caution...I rented a stock 75B several times. If you were blind folded you would never know the stock gun could be customized into the ones I bought. They are night and day.

Brooke... you are so right on there brother... a stock CZ is a far cry from one that's even had a minimal amount of work put into it.

HAHA, Brooke hit my situation right on the damn head. Confusing is right! Just glad there's a place like this filled with knowledgeable people to help newbies.

Edited by Jrb305

I've got a custom sp 01 shadow, a stock 75 shadow that I've worked over myself, and an sp 01 (with fpb) that I've worked over myself with about all the aftermarket parts possible, among other CZs. The 75 shadow I've worked on (polishing, short reset disconnector, lighter springs, extended fp) is every bit as good as the CZC custom shadow, into which I've also installed a short reset disconnector and to which I've done considerable polishing and spring tuning. Don't overthink this, I like all of my CZs. Before buying my first one, I had considerable internal debate over whether to go with fixed or adjustable sights, an SP 01 or a 75 shadow, a stock or custom shadow, etc. After my first CZ (SP 01 custom shadow), I bought many other variations and am happy with all of them. My suggestion is to find and buy yourself a stock shadow with fixed sights and do further work on it yourself. Its nice to learn to work on your own CZs. Its not too hard. And you will learn what functional differences result from various parts and tuning techniques.

Inevitably, you will make changes to whatever you buy. You will no doubt end up with a number of different gripsets until you find your favorites as well as different sight sets. You will also most likely experiment with different recoil and main springs. You may try some different triggers and different safeties. You also will want to know how to change trigger return springs. And while the gun is apart you may as well do some polishing. Once you get to that point, installing different hammers, sears and disconnectors is straighforward. And you will probably ask yourself at that point, why did I spend an extra $400 for a custom?

Edited by twowheels

Inevitably, you will make changes to whatever you buy. You will no doubt end up with a number of different gripsets until you find your favorites as well as different sight sets. You will also most likely experiment with different recoil and main springs. You may try some different triggers and different safeties. You also will want to know how to change trigger return springs. And while the gun is apart you may as well do some polishing. Once you get to that point, installing different hammers, sears and disconnectors is straighforward. And you will probably ask yourself at that point, why did I spend an extra $400 for a custom?

I know a lot of people like doing the work themselves and. I have now seen several very good jobs. However, the cost difference is not as great as you say. You had to buy all the parts, spend the time, and probably do some trial and error revisions. I bet you added at least $250 in parts, probably more.

Between shooting and loading ammo I chose to buy the custom work rather than take time away from shooting. It's just a matter of where you choose to put your efforts. I put a lot of effort and time into reloading the best rounds for my gun. Others put a lot into the gun smithing. I shoot 7 days a week so the ammo and time are my priority. The $400 was a one-time (actually two time) expense. Everybody has to have a back up. I saved the cost of the customization with cheaper ammo in one month. Different approaches work for different situations.

I bought the CZ 75 SP-01 shadow this year. It's my favorite pistol, but I sorta wish I had gotten an accushadow instead. I paid around $865 for mine and put $120 in CGW parts in it. It's a nice shooting handgun. Something like 2.5lb SA and 4.5 DA with only about 3mm of trigger reset. Why would I rather have the accushadow? I like the idea of squeezing a bit more accuracy out of it.

Someone else on the forum can elaborate on this but... I'll fumble around at it using awkward terms and limited knowledge. The SP-01 shadow is USPSA production approved, but is not IDPA because of the long dust cover, whereas the 75 Shadow is approved for both. Is it "factory" for IDPA? Whatever it's called. I like the additional weight out front to mitigate recoil. I don't believe that any "custom" shadow is production approved IDPA/USPSA. Something about it not actually being from CZ factory. So, you get bumped into enhanced or something like that.

Things I don't like.... I think it might have been in the first years run, 2010- 2011 maybe. I bought it new old stock on GB. The trigger overtravel stop is useless, whereas it works on other guns I have tried of the same model. I have tried another identical, but newer one, right next to mine with the same CGW springs and it was better. Other thing is I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO RELOAD FOR IT! The chamber is really short and I have tried all sorts of OALS, but still have trouble getting anything to cycle reliably besides HNDY 115gr FMJ-RN. I just bought some S&B 124 FMJ RN and I am going to try to mimic them, because I have read that this gun was built to use that round. I have a VP9 too and it'll shoot anything I load.