Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bedell Custom in Iowa

vettman1

I'm looking for someone that has a Bedell Custom open gun in Iowa. I am seriously considering purchasing one but would like to see, hold and shoot one before I do. I really just don't know if I should have a 5" gun or a 4" gun. I am a green open class shooter and this will be my first 1911 gun.

Even if you don't live in Iowa, please feel free to comment on your Bedell Custom and what you have.

Vett,

I am new to Open as well. I have had my Bedell Shorty in 9mm since October of 04 and I love it. I don't feel qualified to tell you what you need or want but I came to my decision after several searches here on the board and most importantly, Chuck and Dan's advice. Don't be afraid to call/email either of them and ask your questions. In my experience both of them will take all the time you need to explain the pros and cons and get you what you need. They are very concerned with having happy, satisfied, and repeat customers. I talked to both of them extensively and wound up with a gun I am very happy with. As soon as funds stack up Dan will be getting my order for a new limited gun as well. Good luck with your purchase, you won't be disappointed.

Take care, Craig

Craig,

What configuration did you end up getting? How do you like loading 9mm to major? To tell you the truth, it kinda freaks me out a bit. I can't imagine pushing a 124 gr bullet to 1350fps. I reload 9mm now, but not to those speeds. Right now I'm planning on going super comp but could be swayed.

Vett

Think about a 9major. You can always have the chamber reamed out for .38 super. However, you can't go the other way.

Brass is $10/1,000 in 9 vs. $100/1,000 in .38super

I have bought 36,000 pieces of 9mm and plan on NEVER scrounging around on the floor for brass again.

The downside is that you are rather limited to the number of different powders that are available. Some of the better powders won't fit in the case of a 9mm.

I have ordered two before christmas and it will be here soon. The reason I order from Dan & Chuck is that no one on the forum say anything bad on their product plus the wait time is short.

Oldshooter has shot his for more than a years and it still hold up together. It boost my confidence on their product.

I get the 9mm brass from ebay for $12 per thousand shipped and same head stamp. It takes a lot of effort to find tiny brass (38 super)on the ground.

I am looking forward to them. Chuck alway keep me updated on the progress.

I received A+++ service from them and I highly recommanded. :)

Vettman,

I've had my Bedell 9mm shorty since December. Due to weather and prepping for a Limited match, I've only been able to put about 1500 rds through it. That being said, I love it!!! I shot open class about 10 years ago before switching to limited and recently decided to try it again. Dan builds a first class gun and he and Chuck are great people to deal with. As far as 9mm Major goes, I'm still playing with powders but, making major has not been a problem and loading has been pretty straight forward. I second the motion for 9mm. One of the main reasons that I decided to try open again is that I can get 9mm brass for nothing. That really cuts down on the costs and hassles of reloading.

I would highly recommend Bedell Custom if your in the market for a new open gun.

Think about a 9major. You can always have the chamber reamed out for .38 super. However, you can't go the other way.

Brass is $10/1,000 in 9 vs. $100/1,000 in .38super

I have bought 36,000 pieces of 9mm and plan on NEVER scrounging around on the floor for brass again.

The downside is that you are rather limited to the number of different powders that are available. Some of the better powders won't fit in the case of a 9mm.

If you have a 9mm major build with a 9x19 breechface slide, you will not be able to go to 38 super (but will be able to switch to 38 supercomp). I expect a 9x19 major could work with a Super breechface, but that might be less optimal since it would be larget than needed.

I've got both, a 5" Super and a shorty 9mm that Dan built. Now that I think of it, I've owned 7 guns that he's built.

The 5" and the Shorty are definitely different animals. No matter which one you choose, don't be afraid of 9mm. I'm experimenting with loads right now and I'm convinced 3N37 is the way I'm going. Even with the cost of the VV, the savings on brass alone made it a no brainer for me.

If it was me starting off in Open (but it isn't), I'd build a 5", 9mm. A little more weight on the nose might keep you on the target a little longer. My biggest fear of the shorty is blowing by targets. I can miss as fast as anybody.

Good luck, Bruno.

Vett,

I decided on Dan's Shorty in 9mm with a titanium comp and no blowholes. I have had no problem making major and finding loads that work in the gun. Some say that you are limited in powders compared to 38 super which is true but there are still several that work well (SP2, 3n37, 3n50, True Blue, Silhouette, Power Pistol, Longshot....). Personally not having to search the ground for brass is well worth the trade off. Locally I can get a five gallon bucket full of once fired 9mm for $50 which makes my brass cost about 1/2 cent. Ultimately the choice betwee 9mm and super is yours but don't let your apprehension over loading 9major be the deciding factor. IMO it just isn't any harder than finding a load for any other gun.

Good luck, Craig

Bedell custom and Shooters Connection are both Top, Top notch people. Good, honest and hard working people. I have a gunsmith for life in Dan (unless he becomes the next Rolon Martina, the guys a fishing machine) and have used Chuck for many, many years, both are great guys.

Don't even think about, call Chuck and get your order and rest assured you made a good decision.

I just sent an email to Chuck letting him know to put me down for a 38 super shorty and the time is now up to 14 weeks and he says it is increasing every week. Better get this going or Dans going to be like everybody else booked up for a year or more.