Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team trigger job and other mods

selecw

The factory trigger is pretty crappy, so I am getting ready to improve it. I installed a Hennings flat trigger in my Witness Match but it has a little slop in it and I am nor sure if I want to go that route again.

I'd be interested to hear what other did to modify the trigger and gun.

Thanks

The travel/reset is dictated by the hammer/sear so its worth changing those out, my best Tanfo trigger uses a hammer from a CZ Tactical Sport, but it took a lot of modification.

As for pull weight reduction, the reduced power trigger return spring is the best way to shed a half pound, after that it's all about polishing.

The henning trigger should fit nice and tight. when you say slop do you mean pre-travel or side to side wobble? did you also use the henning trigger pin? you need it to make things nice and tight.

my gold team trigger was pretty average. around 3lb and very long in travel and reset.

I fitted:

henning medium flat trigger (buy the trigger return spring pack too, I found the one it came with was too light for my taste, I went up 2 steps from memory)

henning sold trigger pin

Henning prepped EGW sear and Hammer (these are excellent parts but do require some 'fitting'. I had to work on both the sear and hammer to get them to fit and function correctly)

Henning sear and hammer pins

wolf 13lb hammer spring

henning plunger spring (again I didn't go for the absolute lightest one as I like a decent reset feel)

remove firing pin block (reliability thing)

henning firing pin (gen 3 in mine)

Eric extreme light firing pin spring

some strategic polishing here and there but nothing crazy or mirror finished

Trigger is now pretty good. Breaks at just under 2lb. reset is very short and overall travel has been much reduced. The henning trigger also fits much better in the frame and on the solid pin has no more wobble. It's been very reliable so far, probably 4,000 through it in this config. I could probably improve it further still but at some point I feel like I've spent enough time messing with it and just want to shoot it. :)

The only real downside of all the stuff above is the $$$ to buy it. :(

• 1 month later...

I fitted the Henning short flat trigger from my Elite Match into the Gold Team to see if it would be much of an improvement. I also used the Henning trigger pin and TRS.

The trigger weight is OK. There is no side to side wobble in the trigger. But the take up (pre travel) is too long and so is the reset. The reset doesn't feel crisp either.

Do you think the EGW sear and hammer will help much?

Yeah I found my henning trigger as shipped was too weak in the reset. I upped the trs and the plunger spring to slightly heavier ones (henning sells tuning sets of both plunger and trs). That did increase pull a tiny bit but reset was much more positive.

The sear and hammer will certainly help with pre travel and shorter reset. The sear leg that interacts with trigger bar is much thinned down over a factory one.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I found my henning trigger as shipped was too weak in the reset. I upped the trs and the plunger spring to slightly heavier ones (henning sells tuning sets of both plunger and trs). That did increase pull a tiny bit but reset was much more positive.

The sear and hammer will certainly help with pre travel and shorter reset. The sear leg that interacts with trigger bar is much thinned down over a factory one.

How do u like your Gold Team + what caliber, Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like it a lot. But for the money I spent on it I could have had a decent 2011. Mine is a 38 super v12.

It now has:

Cheely setback 90 mount

Henning magwell

Henning hammer and sear pin kit

Henning flat trigger

Henning/egw sear and hammer

Henning guide rod (have run a sprinco too)

Henning slide stop pin

Henning spring sets for the trigger and plunger springs

Henning bases on the mags

Shooters connection sidewinder xl racker

About 4 different sets of grips (favourite are the ssi scales, with hennings close behind)

When you add all that up its a scary amount of $ just on parts.

Sure the gun now has a great grip, nice big magwell, easy to grab 140mm mags and a sub 2lb trigger but it was a lot of time and money spent working on it.

With a nice load of about 10.2gn of 3n38 behind a 115 or 124gn RN CMJ the gun shoots fast and flat and is plenty accurate enough for the action shooting sports that it suits. It's also been very reliable and part of that is the excellent mags. But (yes there's a but) this tanfoglio open gun clearly has a flaw around the locking/unlocking timing and/or its ability to live a long life at major powe factor.

You don't have to search hard to find people with barrel lug issues. Mine thankfully has been fine so far but I clean it diligently and maintain it well. But I am still not confident it'll live as long as the average 2011. The only thing I've broken to date is a slide stop so I shouldn't be too negative.

If you like the grip angle and shape of the tanfos over a 2011 and if you don't mind a pivoting vs sliding trigger and if you prefer a harder recoiling but flatter shooting gun over a softer gun then the v12 is probably for you. :)

I like it a lot. But for the money I spent on it I could have had a decent 2011. Mine is a 38 super v12.

It now has:

Cheely setback 90 mount

Henning magwell

Henning flat trigger

Henning slide stop pin

About 4 different sets of grips (favourite are the ssi scales, with hennings close behind)

Sure the gun now has a great grip, nice big magwell, easy to grab 140mm mags and a sub 2lb trigger but it was a lot of time and money spent working on it.

With a nice load of about 10.2gn of 3n38 behind a 115 or 124gn RN CMJ the gun shoots fast and flat and is plenty accurate enough for the action shooting sports that it suits. It's also been very reliable and part of that is the excellent mags. But (yes there's a but) this tanfoglio open gun clearly has a flaw around the locking/unlocking timing and/or its ability to live a long life at major powe factor.

You don't have to search hard to find people with barrel lug issues. Mine thankfully has been fine so far but I clean it diligently and maintain it well. But I am still not confident it'll live as long as the average 2011. The only thing I've broken to date is a slide stop so I shouldn't be too negative.

If you like the grip angle and shape of the tanfos over a 2011 and if you don't mind a pivoting vs sliding trigger and if you prefer a harder recoiling but flatter shooting gun over a softer gun then the v12 is probably for you. :)

WOW,yes u had a run with it,my expectations r not very high To late for me to not want as I already payed for one in a 9mm, Thanks I'll keep that list,on the bright side for u,at r club follow shooter jus bought a custom for 4600 bucks older and broken as I am, no worried durability have other Tangos and CZ TS to mess with, TY for your time, if u ever post pictures on ur finished pistol,that would be nice.[emoji106]

It now has:

Cheely setback 90 mount

Henning magwell

Henning flat trigger

Henning slide stop pin

WOW,yes u had a run with it,my expectations r not very high To late for me to not want as I already payed for one in a 9mm, Thanks I'll keep that list,on the bright side for u,at r club follow shooter jus bought a custom for 4600 bucks older and broken as I am, no worried durability have other Tangos and CZ TS to mess with, TY for your time, if u ever post pictures on ur finished pistol,that would be nice.[emoji106]

Sorry for the spelling,preemptive spelling on S phone is wrong

It now has:

Cheely setback 90 mount

Henning magwell

Henning flat trigger

Henning slide stop pin

I'll put up some pics later. There are pic around in this forum in its various evolutions from 100% standard to where it is now. :)

Awesome,i also went back on your old post seeing comp pistols of yours yes whenever is convenient, evolution beginning to now[emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. Outside flat trigger, grips best, Our you running stock V12 barrel?

yep the barrel is the stock 4.5inch V12 barrel. I prefer the balance of the 4.5inch open guns (v12) over the 4.75inch. But I do think the V8 shoots a little softer and is pretty much the same in terms of flatness. So in some ways perhaps the V8 is the better version. There is not much between them though.

With plenty of slow burning powder behind a light bullet the gun shoots hard but flat. You do need to drive it a bit but I really enjoy shooting it which is the main thing :)

Sure glad your liking your Team Gold, sitting here, putting HS-6 IN the hopper got about 100 Blue Bullets 125rn to run & I have a load close to majors I'll build up from, than I'll use my gold MG bullets i just bought,yes most expensive bullets I ever used,should be in the A's just for that,lol

How long of an oal are you able to load the blue bullets 125 rancher?

Just did Blue Bullets 125's got around 1,160-1.165, also just did

MGold loads longer 1.175-1.180 ,only reason I brought that up is just 6.9gr HS6 fills case up,now I'm learning why bullet profile matters, Garmil ppl are putting 8 grn in ,wow, has to compress,Still down in reloading room thinking, sorry for going on & on,lol

Depends on the powder vmd. You can get over 10 grains of some powder without being compressed.

Which ones can achieve those wieghts ,curious. Have alot of assorted powder what do u think: CF Pistol,N3737,True Blue,AA5,Silohette,Powder Pistol, ect,rest to fast

Thanks John, seems w/ HS6 powder is compr175ish7-8 grains,I never had a problem w/compressing rifle powder,imagine pistol be the same with OAL 1.175ish, majors in 9 I'm diffently a newbie