Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder on shell plate of 650

I've been loading on a RL550 for 30 years, but just recently treated myself to a new 650. Yesterday afternoon I changed it back to 9mm and ran off 200 9mm loads using WW231 powder. Near the end of the run I noticed powder on the shell plate around one of the locations, only one cartridge location. This machine indexes smoothly, it doesn't spill powder, I'm guessing there was somewhere in the area of 1-2 grains by weight of powder just around that one location, I have NEVER had that happen ever in all that time on a Dillon.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck happened, 231 flows so well I wouldn't expect a bridge in the powder measure making the powder drop late and miss the case, or the thing that scares me is the possibility for some unknown reason I might have gotten an interuption, somehow managed ro drop a double charge which overflowed the case, maybe even a little off the top when I put a bullet on the case for seating. With the auto indexing I don't see how that could have happened, but there were a few interuptions where I had to stop to fix some small problem, which is always the place where a mistake can be made. I don't have a powder check die, it looks like I might want to go ahead and order one.

The thought of possibly pulling down 200 rounds to check for a double charge or a squib is disturbing, but I don't like the idea of a small grenade sitting in one of those boxes just waiting to destroy a pistol.

Any ideas on what might have happened or an easy way to sort through that bunch? I tried to search for a similar problem but kept getting a "Server error".

This shellplate advances very smoothly, no powder spillage by that problem which I have heard about, unless it snapped just one time, which I wouldn't expect, although anything is possible.

All the rounds have primers, I box them up primer side up to double check for missing primers, inverted or crushed primers. I've certainly had that happen from time to time, both on the old 550 and the new 650. Its always a pain, you start boxing them up and there's spilled powder in the collection box coming out of the flash hole, hate when that happens!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue reloading .308. After the case is filled and I return the arm to the home position I can feel and see powder dropping out of the powder die onto the shell plate. Called Dillon. They said the failsafe arm had to be snugged more which I did and didn't help. Then they told me that I have static buildup and to wipe everything down this a drier conditioner sheet like Snuggle. Did nothing! Still continues to drop powder when case is filled. By the time Im done reloading a hundred I have a few grains all over the shellplate. Very annoying but no apparent fix!

• 1 year later...

One thing to keep in mind, this time of year in cold climates, houses tend to have lower humidity due to using a heating source. The solution might be something as simple as wiping your powder measure down with a used dryer sheet to cut down on static. 

I've  also had had the same problem as sschultz with a poor fit between the powder die and powder funnel. 

Sometimes there is powder spill if a primer doesn't seat smoothly.

Also, you might want to fool around double clutching the handle with a empty case (dead primer) in station 2, intentionally trying to overcharge a case.  It is actually quite hard to double charge a case. You would probably know it if you did it. OTOH, better safe than sorry.

Anti static spray. I wrap a dryer sheet around the powder hopper with a rubber band and spray it. Also spray it directly on shotgun shells for my Dillon sl900 to keep the powder static down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Static-Guard-Fresh-Scent-Spray-5.5-oz/21092566?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1560&adid=22222222228027827622&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=45287593592&wl4=pla-88658188112&wl5=9030795&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=21092566&wl13=1560&veh=sem

And it smells good too...

Edited by RiggerJJ

• 2 weeks later...