Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fear and loathing of the CZ DA/SA trigger in USPSA production?

IHAVEGAS

Am wondering what I'm going to be in for when I try to learn the trigger, plan is to dry fire over the winter and make a CZ my competition gun for next year.

How was the adjustment for you folks who have got it down ?

I think I have a feel for what it will take to learn the da 1st shot, but I don't have a clue about what it will take to learn that da shot in combination with a 2 lb sa shot.

I have made the transition to da/sa , coming from a tuned 1911, I'm but I'm now getting more frequent sub .2 and sub .24 all day long A zone hits from sights on target D/A

i did do an unreasonable amount of dry fire so much that i got her in june and her trigger return spring just broke

ive incorporated the the prep the trigger meaning start the trigger movement once pointed down range, along with beep/pull. study the different theories on D/A (then forget)

the d/a will bring out many faults in your technique....... it will make you return to fundamentals..... for me my first big break through was when I started working grip

* mindless dry fire---- i dry fired when i woke up, before i went to bed, while watching netflix just to get the muscle memory and and finger strength, so much my finger was getting tender and raw from the HOOK (the stock recurve trigger) this is about strength and muscle memory

*dry fire in dark room- i still have night sights on her for now , but in a dark room focusing on sights dry fire keeping sights as still as possible

*dry fire with timer- dark room, daylight with par timer shooting under pressure really starts to get your skills improving.

* dry fire doubles single action first then double action----- this gives you idea of but back wards again building muscle memory/ neuro pathways. do same with par timer. do some without timer

* dry fire doubles double action, dry fire triples d/a

* see exercise one

* i slowly started changing parts/modifications.... first hammer spring weights ( get the whole set) along with, the whole firing pin set up, FPB spring. (i have SP-01) keep all springs, dont use the 8.5 switch between the 13 and 11.5

*more dry fire

* then i changed the trigger to 85c. i cant explain but it changes things. start with stock if you platform has it....

* more dry fire

* just this week changed (broken) to RP-TRP, polish job, and decocker comp. hammer, while hammer is more S/A it still helps D/A

OMG. what a difference. its now BUTTER. don't do this step right away its good to get stronger on lesser gun/ trigger system

* change up Hammer springs (i now tend to dryfire with heavier hammer spring and shoot with 11.5#)... rinse lather repeat

I also have a list of live fire exercises for "fear and loathing the da/sa"

it wont take you all winter

Edited by biglou13

it's just not a big deal ... I switched from a G34 to a Shadow & after 1 week of dryfire & a couple of live fire sessions it was like I'd always been shooting a Shadow ... and before I switched I had almost 2 years and 40,000 rds of serious training through my G34 ...

Just switched from my XDM 5.25 to a shadow target ll. I had it for a few days before my first match, wish I would of done a little more dry fire with it but it went ok. Since then my draws are just as fast as my XDM and I really don't notice the double action anymore. I am running a 8.5lb main spring so the DA is very very nice, and SA is better then any of my open or limited gun. Wish I would of switched to CZ a long time ago, enjoy

The transition isn't all that bad. My cz has a 4.25 da pull and 2 sa. So it like starting of with a glock and a long pull. After a little practice you don't even think twice about the first da pull.

I'd worried more about remembering to hammer down before holstering at make ready.

I'm the guy with the letter H on both my hands. It stands for either hammer down or haha dude... You just Dq'd

My biggest thing I'm learning still is taking advantage of the single action. I came from a glock and I need to remind myself I can rip it on really close targets.

SP01s, 75b cajunized back when you sent David your sear and hammer to get goodness now it is nearly all drop in.

My ts has an awesome trigger, better than my tuned 1911.

I compare all triggers to my czs, kind of unfair to the rest.

Go shoot a DA revolver for a while. :devil:

In all seriousness, after shooting a revolver for local IDPA stuff for a while, it's reached the point where I don't even blink at the DA on a totally stock new production 75B.

This is exactly what I did.

Shot an old S&W model 10 with no trigger work in SSP for a while. Suddenly the DA on my CZs was silly easy, then I put in a 8.5 spring in the SP01 Shadow. Now I feel like a cheater.

Go shoot a DA revolver for a while. [emoji317]

In all seriousness, after shooting a revolver for local IDPA stuff for a while, it's reached the point where I don't even blink at the DA on a totally stock new production 75B.

This is exactly what I did.

Shot an old S&W model 10 with no trigger work in SSP for a while. Suddenly the DA on my CZs was silly easy, then I put in a 8.5 spring in the SP01 Shadow. Now I feel like a cheater.

And you wonder why you didn't put the 8.5# in sooner. LOL

For getting used to a DA/SA trigger:

1. You have to learn at which point your trigger is 90% ready to release, for DA and SA (it's usually the same spot). The trigger travel should still be singular and smooth though.

2. You have to know what part of your finger gives you optimal trigger reach for the initial DA shot, and whether the same spot applies to subsequent SA shots. In my experience.

3. See biglou13's post above.

Exactly how many DA shots do you think that you are gonna have on each stage? You may notice it when dry firing, bt I seriously doubt you will during a match. Much ado about nothing...

My thoughts exactly.

Once per stage, after that SA all the way. It'm more the decocking action (that can easily be mastered) and the limited ammo per mag, which requires planning and good reloads.