Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision Front sight for SP01 Shadow

orguy

I recently purchased a CZ SP01 Shadow #91154. It comes with a F/O front sight and fixed rear sight. Problem the gun shoots high: 2-3 inches in 10 yards and more than 4 inches in 20 yards from POA to POI. I'm pretty sure it's not user issue. Besides the front sight is way too wide for fast target acquisition. Makes the head shot on IDPA/USPSA targets very difficult to accomplish. I have to aim much lower at the same time try to align it to the center of head area which is very awkward.

I called CZC and could not reach a live person so I emailed and asked for help whether I can get a higher and narrower sight to address this issue. So far 2 days has past I have not heard anything back yet. Looks like they pretty much just ignored my email.

I looked at Dawson Precision's website and got little confused about the different heights available for CZ. Does anyone have experience with the Dawson F/O front sight for this particular model of CZ SP01 Shadow?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

I have an Aussie SP01 Shadow (not from CZ custom) with the fixed rear sight. I got the Dawson part number 019-122 and it was a perfect match for the stock sights. It was on before I replaced it though, I just wanted a thinner sight with a fibre that was recessed to eliminate the halo effect.

Dawson has a little calculator on their site to help you work out the sight height you need. The one I bought was 0.150 Tall, 0.100 wide. Hope that helps.

I have an Aussie SP01 Shadow (not from CZ custom) with the fixed rear sight. I got the Dawson part number 019-122 and it was a perfect match for the stock sights. It was on before I replaced it though, I just wanted a thinner sight with a fibre that was recessed to eliminate the halo effect.

Dawson has a little calculator on their site to help you work out the sight height you need. The one I bought was 0.150 Tall, 0.100 wide. Hope that helps.

Thanks noroth81. The confusing part is the way the height is measured. CZC says their stock front sights are 5.5mm (0.216 inch) high. I took my front sight off and measured it. it's 5.31mm from the very bottom to the very top of the sight (which includes the portion goes into the slide) Dawson seem to measure only the area that's above the slide. Based on the calculator I need to have a sight which is 0.03 inch higher than the current one. I will measure it again tonight. Thanks for cleariyfing that the sight should be something in the 0.150 range not the 0.240 which i initially thought.

I agree that the measurements Dawson have are bloody confusing. I measured my front sight with verniers to make sure it was correct and confirmed with Dawson. I believe the .240 is for the adjustable rears or the TS rear.

I just ordered Dawson #2 last week for an SP01.

I wanted an extra 0.02" so I calipered my existing sight above the taper and ordered a Dawson 0.2" taller.

Got it installed and poi was pretty much exactly the same. Found out that the Dawson is about 0.06" below the taper and my existing sight was 0.08 ish. Above the taper the Dawson measures 0.149 on my calipers and I ordered 0.150 so that is good. Installed, the 0.02" difference in sight base height is obvious as my existing sight has an easily visible gap to top of slide (back part of sight that hangs over sight slot) and the Dawson rides real close. Next time I will be a wiser buyer I hope.

Have a Dawson 0.170 on route. Could have gotten a 0.185 built custom for an extra $10.00 and a 3 week wait (I mention this because do not know what you are looking for but it is worth calling them if you do not see it listed).

• 3 weeks later...

Did the .170 work?

Took a while to settle on a load and get back to the gun, life gets in the way.

Anyway, the .170 did what it should have (based on shooting with a Dawson .150 and then using their handy dandy formula on their website).

I should have paid the extra $10.00 and waited the extra 3 weeks for a 0.185 though. I will play with shooting 12 o'clock sight picture 0-15 yards and aiming a smidge below desired point of impact on the occasional longer shot, might learn something about how I do with 12 versus point of aim in the process, and then I will cuss and order the 0.185 :) .

Pretty sure the Shadow front sight from CZC is .195" tall. At least it was on my two Shadow Targets and a buddy's Shadow with fixed rear.

Only problem is DP doesn't make a .195" tall in .090" wide without it being a custom order. That sight would sell like hot cakes if they did. Actually, .085" wide would be perfect.

.090" wide without it being a custom order. That sight would sell like hot cakes if they did. Actually, .085" wide would be perfect.

I have only had one 0.090, and it broke off during a match, maybe just a freak occurence thing if they are holding up ok for you ?

Not impossible that I bumped it at some point in its life I suppose.

Pretty sure the Shadow front sight from CZC is .195" tall. At least it was on my two Shadow Targets and a buddy's Shadow with fixed rear.

Only problem is DP doesn't make a .195" tall in .090" wide without it being a custom order. That sight would sell like hot cakes if they did. Actually, .085" wide would be perfect.

I replaced the front sight that came on my SP-01 shadow target from CZC with a Dawson .190T x .100W IIRC. Being an adjustable I didn't have any problems getting it sighted in. On my 75 Shadow with fixed CZC rear sight I started with a .175T but had to go down to a .165T from Dawson to get it to shoot POA.

I found the .155 tall with the fixed Shadow rear to get mine to POI. If anyone needs a .195 I have one that I cannot use. Send me a PM and I will send it to you. It was way too tall for my stock rear sight.

Interesting. It seems like there are very different stock sight heights out there.

I started with a .170 but actually ended up needing a .150 to get my 91154 Shadow hitting correct at 25 yards

Worth noting that the sight I purchased direct from Dawson was already drilled whereas I had to drill the sight I purchased from Shooter's Connection

I started with a .170 but actually ended up needing a .150 to get my 91154 Shadow hitting correct at 25 yards

Worth noting that the sight I purchased direct from Dawson was already drilled whereas I had to drill the sight I purchased from Shooter's Connection

I've only drilled one sight, worked fine but made me nervous about the bit potentially taking metal off of the slide. If there is a next time maybe I can dull the sides of the bit with a stone first, may not be necessary but I worry about these things.

Just a data point, I think the Dawson 0.185 will be right for me with my SP01 and CGW fixed rear.

Sorry for not being able to post the updates on time. Thanks very much for all the replies!

Robert at CZC emailed me back and offered to send me a replacement front sight. I got to choose a 6mm or 6.5mm tall front sight. Being worried about the 6.5 could be a little too tall I went with the 6mm with a narrower blade (6.0 x 1.0 x 2.75mm). Robert was great, very helpful and accommodating. I received the new sight in mail in about 2 weeks.

I have the new sight installed and it works so much better than the old one. Although still shoots a little higher than my like but I think I can live with that. The 6.5mm would be perfect so to speak.

Now the issue for me is the right sight notch is about only 1.25" wide. I would prefer the opening to be a little bigger to something like 1.40" like the Warren Tactical rear sight. I don't think anyone makes that width. Should I just open it up by using a hand file myself? Has anyone done that before with success? I also don't know how to put the black finish back after filing. Advice are much appreciated.

Now the issue for me is the right sight notch is about only 1.25" wide. I would prefer the opening to be a little bigger to something like 1.40" like the Warren Tactical rear sight. I don't think anyone makes that width. Should I just open it up by using a hand file myself? Has anyone done that before with success? I also don't know how to put the black finish back after filing. Advice are much appreciated.

It can be done well, I have seen the end result (and am hoping somebody else will chime in with the how).

If your gun shoots high, and you are going to take metal off the rear sight anyway, I wonder if you could take a bit off the top while you are at it ?