Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 right for me?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you 1050 owners all use quick change toolheads with dies already set up?

Guy at the gunstore mentioned that it's faster to use a single toolhead and use Hornady LNL bushings and just swap out each die instead of the toolhead. Anyone do this?

And side question... RF 100 conversions... is it pretty quick and simple going from large to small primer and vice versa on the RF100?

Wait....what??!?!? The LnL bushings ONLY work in the LnL presses from Hornady. Methinks your contact at the gunstore has no clue what he's talking about.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have 4 toolheads for my 1050. 1 for prepping .223, 1 for loading .223, 1 for 9mm, and 1 for .40. Yes, that was a butt-ton of money spent, but it takes up way less space on my bench to have a homemade toolhead stand than it does to have another press or 2. Plus, loading on the 1050 is just so much fun, I'd rather just use it for everything and be done.

Why not let someone else process the 223 brass and just reload it?

Geroge Toon in Texas will take a large flat rate box of brass, process it, and get it back to you within a week or so...for a minor fee. It comes back clean, re-sized, proper length, swagged, and ready to load. He even recommends backing off the sizing die and only use the deprimer pin to clean out any residual cleaning material from the primer hole. And it case gauges perfectly after reloading.

And side question... RF 100 conversions... is it pretty quick and simple going from large to small primer and vice versa on the RF100?

It's actually somewhat of a PITA. Better to have one for each size of primer. :)

Ummm, oh yea, Brian's right, it is a pita...need 2. Actually 4 is better, 2 of each. while one tube is being dumped the other can be loading primers in the tube.

It's actually somewhat of a PITA. Better to have one for each size of primer. :)

I can't tell if you're being serious or kidding lol. From what everyone's saying... if you can swing a second 1050 for the other primer size, do it. But the primer filler is also a PITA to convert?? lol

I can't tell if you're being serious or kidding lol. From what everyone's saying... if you can swing a second 1050 for the other primer size, do it. But the primer filler is also a PITA to convert?? lol

Brian is talking about buying two RF100 (one for small primers, one for large primer):

DSC02940.jpg

I know what he was talking about. Man, I didn't budget for a second RF100. D'oh!

I've been scouring youtube, but I can't seem to find anyone demonstrating changing primer sizes with the RF100 online.

Yeah, it's best (but more expensive) to just get one for each primer size. Once set and running perfectly, you don't want to mess around with changing primer sizes. Of course it's doable, but sometimes it's easier to just spend the money for convenience's sake.

Also having one 1050 for each primer size and separate toolheads for each caliber/operation is the ticket. Changing primer sizes on a 1050 is probably easier than on the RF100 once you're familiar with the machine. The Hornady SureLoc rings are also a nice option for all your dies if you don't want to buy toolheads. (Keep in mind that if you run a trimmer motor and use the rings underneath the toolhead, the surelocs won't work, because they hit the shellplate lock ring.

If I have to load magnum rifle primers, wouldn't I still have to adjust the large primer stuff on the RF100 anyways? So would it really save me any time?

I had no idea that changing primer sizes on a 1050 is easier than changing the primer sizes for the RF100. That's actually a little worrisome to me haha.

And I'll be using a separate Giraud trimmer for all my brass. Using those SureLoc rings, wouldn't the die swaps take about as much time as swapping out the 1050 toolhead? And still give the same die settings so I wouldn't have to adjust anything?

Wow, I don't find the primer swap on the 1050 to be easier than on the RF at all...like I said, 2 minutes to swap parts, 3 minutes to set, easy peasy. Remove the top, remove and replace the clear plastic A or B piece, remove and replace the little red or blue die for the primers to drop thru, and put in The proper colored tube. How hard or time consuming is that?

The 1050 primer swap means remove the shell plate, change out the punch, remove and replace the slide, replace shell plate, and remove, replace and adjust the swage. Takes 15-20 minutes, add another 5 to 10 for proper cleaning while it's apart.

And to add, I am one of those that feels that having 2 1050 just to avoid changing out the primer system is just silly. Same with having multi machines set up in different calibers...

jmho

jj

Eta, johnson, why not use a Dillon trimmer instead of the Girard? I know they are good, but using the Dillon means less handling of brass individually, means processing is faster and you don't hurt your hand holding each piece of brass in the pencil sharpener... :)

Edited by RiggerJJ

So JJ your saying you don't own multiple Dillon machines? :devil:

Takes me about 5-10 mins to change out station on a 550. Works great when I'm loading only a few hundred .45, vs the 20mins it would take to convert my 1050.

Edited by DocMedic

Of course I do.I load poostal ammo on a 650, and riffle on a 1050. Imho the 650 just doesn't handle the rifle as well as the 1050, especially when full length sizing 30 cal brass. I could sell the 650 and get 3 more heads for the 1050 to do pistol, considered it too...

And if course to round out the group I have a sl900 for shotgun ammo...

But I don't have multi machines to avoid changing primer size...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Brian is talking about buying two RF100 (one for small primers, one for large primer):

DSC02940.jpg

Looks just like the two I have in my reloading room.

Oh wait, it is.

Do you have to do any fiddling on them to get Magnum Rifle primers to work? Or once you set it for large primers, it's good to go for Magnum rifle primers too?

And do you just not like using the plastic top cover for some reason?

DSC02940.jpg

Looks just like the two I have in my reloading room.

Oh wait, it is.

Your reloading room is very clean and neat... and Google images has your picture high in their results. :goof:

More important I think is the height of the handle in the full down postion so you don't have to bend sideways at the waist to do a full stroke. To measure that correctly you will need the handle in the fully extended position. I had to put brick under my bench feet to raise the deck up a couple of inches.

jj

I will check mine tonite and post if I remember... :)

Edited by RiggerJJ