Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 right for me?

Looking to reload 9mm and .223.

I usually only reload precision rifle rounds on a single stage press so I'm not familiar with progressive presses. I have a single stage press and a Giraud trimmer/annealer ordered for my rifle brass. But now I've just recently gotten into competition shooting and am looking to mass reload 9mm and .223.

Would you recommend a 1050 for such a purpose? (Stupid question... but does the .223 get reloaded on a single cycle through the 1050? I recall reading how others needed to change tool heads for two separate runs?)

Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why exactly does he need another toolhead to prep 223 brass?

Doesn't he have a trimmer already? Can't he just trim everything then send it through the 1050? Or does the 1050 not have enough stations?

You size the case before you trim. So one head would be used to de-cap and size the brass, then off to the Giraud to trim. The second head would be for loading (and swaging).

I would imagine an RT-1500 trimmer would be added to the .223 trim head if convenience would be an issue. The Giraud would then be reserved for precision rifle trimming duty.

Edited by razorfish

Doesn't he have a trimmer already? Can't he just trim everything then send it through the 1050? Or does the 1050 not have enough stations?

You size the case before you trim. So one head would be used to de-cap and size the brass, then off to the Giraud to trim. The second head would be for loading (and swaging).

I would imagine an RT-1500 trimmer would be added to the .223 trim head if convenience would be an issue. The Giraud would then be reserved for precision rifle trimming duty.

Oh, ok. So if he got the RT-1500 Trimmer to be added to a .223 trim head, he would still need two tool heads, correct? For some reason I remember some sales guy demonstrating loading a .223 from start to end on a 1050. Guess he must have already decapped, resized, and trimmed the brass? A bit misleading lol.

Oh, ok. So if he got the RT-1500 Trimmer to be added to a .223 trim head, he would still need two tool heads, correct? For some reason I remember some sales guy demonstrating loading a .223 from start to end on a 1050. Guess he must have already decapped, resized, and trimmed the brass?

That is corect.

I would NOT want to use a Giraud or any other of the "pencil sharpener" type trimmers for bulk processing of rifle brass. With a 2 head system including a Dillon trimmer, I can process a 5 gallon bucket full of 223 brass in about 3-4 hours, decaped, sized, trimmed, and swaged. Ready to load after tumbling to removing lube...

jj

Any chance you can elaborate specifically on exactly how you have your two toolheads set up for .223? (What dies, and where, on which number toolhead?)

I was starting to think it may be cheaper to get a 550 just to prep the brass and load less used calibers. :surprise:

At least this is my plan:

Tool head 1:

1. Size/Deprime

2. Swage

3. NA

4. NA

5. NA

6. Trim with RT1200/1500

7. NA

/wet tumble to remove lube.

Tool Head 2:

1. NA

2. Swage

3. Prime

4. Powder

5. Powder Check (optional)

6. Seat Bullet

7. Crimp (if applicable)

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

Is case trimming the main reason we hear about loading in two stages on the Dillon 1050 ?

I think some will process only on a 1050 because of the of the on press swaging, then reload on another press. Yes, that is why people speak of two tool heads, I'd think it would be ideal for bulk processing.

I purchased a s1050 so I could reload 9mm (2K+ per month), 223/300blk bulk processing (once a year... maybe). I've got 3 tool heads, 1 each for 9/40, and a cut version that I plan to use when processing 223 to 300blk.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

How long would it take to convert a 223 set up 1050 with MrBulletFeeder to 9mm? 20 minutes?

I'd like to reload a lot of 223 and 9mm so I'm almost tempted to save up for 2 1050s... lol

As moon man mentioned... Much longer than 20 minutes. Especially for both MBF and S1050. I would say it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to switch from 45 to 9 or vice versa with my MBF and S1050 (including the primer system). I have found it is easier to do when I am not in a hurry.

That is why I try to load between 3-6k before switching.

Tool head 1:

1. Size/Deprime

2. Swage

3. NA

4. NA

5. NA

6. Trim with RT1200/1500

7. NA

Tool Head 2:

1. NA

2. Swage

3. Prime

4. Powder

6. Seat Bullet

7. Crimp (if applicable)

~g

Guess I'm just really not getting it or am dumb lol. Why couldn't one do this...

1. FL Resize/Deprime

2. Swage

3. Trim

4. Prime

5. Powder

6. Bullet (MrBulletFeeder)

7. Seat Bullet

and get everything in one toolhead for one pass through the 1050?

Edited by johnson184

Tool head 1:

1. Size/Deprime

2. Swage

3. NA

4. NA

5. NA

6. Trim with RT1200/1500

7. NA

Tool Head 2:

1. NA

2. Swage

3. Prime

4. Powder

6. Seat Bullet

7. Crimp (if applicable)

~g

Guess I'm just really not getting it or am dumb lol. Why couldn't one do this...

1. FL Resize/Deprime

2. Swage

3. Trim

4. Prime

5. Powder

6. Bullet (MrBulletFeeder)

7. Seat Bullet

and get everything in one toolhead for one pass through the 1050?

I don't think it would all fit. Even if it would, it would be very difficult to operate, you would probably want more leverage than the already long 1050 handle offers.

The trimmer will cover 3 stations. Unless the swage die is real short (it is not) there is not enough room.

Believe me I would love to do rifle loading in one pass, just haven't figured out how to do it on a 1050.

But don't be discouraged! Share your success or ??? with us.

jj