Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you decide which brand to go with for presses?

johnson184

Needing a progressive press for reloading 9mm, .45ACP, .223, and .308. Also going to need a single stage press for 50BMG and .338 Lapua.

Would you recommend sticking with one brand for both presses? Or no problem buying presses from different brands?

I'm leaning towards either a Dillon 550B and a Lee .50BMG press or going all Hornady or all RCBS. (Doing my best to figure out the differences between each)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was easy, Dillon for progressives and a RCBS Rock Chucker for single stage. I simply picked the presses with the best reviews. I have been happy with both choices. I started with Lee since it was cheap and would not recommend them even for a single stage press. If it wasn't for their unique dies, I wouldn't use anything Lee. There is no reason to stick with 1 manufacturer as nothing major really correlates between progressive and single stage presses. 50 BMG is out of my realm so I couldn't give a recommendation. I would check on forums that 50BMG shooters frequent.

No issues having multiple brands of presses. I have two Dillons and an a Hornady and they all do what they are supposed to do. PIck whatever brand meets your needs. I highly recommend going to fondle the various brands of presses or, better yet, go sit with someone that uses the various brands and get direct feedback. Fortunately, I live close to Dillon, so I was able to go in and run some test rounds through under Matt's supervision as well as going down to the local Sportsmans and Cabelas. It was an easy decision once I pulled all the handles.

Most progressive presses are capable of all 4 calibers (can't speak to 338/50cal), it really comes down to quantity you need to produce, and of course how deep your pockets may or may not be. Own presses from Dillon and Forster (hoping to add a Redding in the near future), and had a Hornady single stage for a bit.

I'd second what has already been said, and suggest you check out whatever you are considering if at all possible. An experienced reloader can provide a ton of info, tips, trick, issues, and insight. Never really been concerned with brand. Having the right tool for the job surely doesn't hurt.

Alright thanks guys. I'm actually sorta familiar with the Dillon 550B, but I've never seen the Hornady before in person. Would you say the Hornady is just as good? There's a rebate promotion running... and the Ammo Plant seems pretty affordable yet tempting compared to a Dillon 1050.

Dillon for progressive. My experience with the press and customer service is unmatched. Flip side DON'T get a Lee progressive. Ever.

A single stage is a single stage. If you can find a RCBS/Lee/Lyman/Forster/Redding at a garage sale, pick it up. I can't imagine wearing one out. Finding one that will handle .50BMG will be a challenge and push the price way up. Not even sure what to tell you there.

Edited by jkrispies

For the 50, in my opinion, the best press is the RCBS RockChucker Supreme. Brownells has them for $129 right now. That's less than I paid for a used RockChucker years ago. MidSouth had them for $120 at the start of the summer I think too. They are a much much better press than the Lee.

The Rockchucker is much better than the Lee C press, but IMO, it isn't any better than the Lee Classic Cast.

The thing I like most about the Lee is the way fired primers are handled - or actually not handled - as they drop down thru the center of the ram and then into a plastic hose. I just run mine into a two quart juice bottle and never have to touch the fired primers or any of the primer residue.

Edited by Steve RA

The Rockchucker is much better than the Lee C press, but IMO, it isn't any better than the Lee Classic Cast.

The thing I like most about the Lee is the way fired primers are handled - or actually not handled - as they drop down thru the center of the ram and then into a plastic hose. I just run mine into a two quart juice bottle and never have to touch the fired primers or any of the primer residue.

Good point on the primer catcher.

I dunno man, my Rockchucker just dumps them in the tray that attaches to the press. Where the primers go is of minor concern to me, I'm more concerned about the press's strength and durability when it comes to a single stage. I've seen far too many broken Lee presses, of a variety of styles, but never a RC.

What are your thoughts on RCBS? I'm leaning towards getting the Pro Chucker 7 and a AmmoMaster 2 for .50BMG and .338 Lapua loading.

I have a rock chucker that I got used. 10 years ago. I have no idea how old it is but it's great and I don't see it ever wearing out. The only issue I have is the primer catching system is a mess. Yes the tray catches them, but then it tends to dump scatter them every where when I take it off. They may have improved that feature since this one was built last century! Having said that I'd save my money and just get one. The 50 machine should work for everything. It'll just have a longer arm stroke. Unless it takes a wider die? Edited by jkrispies

My first press was a Dillon 30 years ago (well first metallic press) always had good luck with them so I have at least one of all of them now but I also have or have had lots of others from RCBS, Hornady, Lee, and other smaller names. I don't think I ever owned one that simply could not reload a round, just some are better at it than others.

What are your thoughts on RCBS? I'm leaning towards getting the Pro Chucker 7 and a AmmoMaster 2 for .50BMG and .338 Lapua loading.

There is a pretty in depth review of the Pro Chucker 5, which is the 5 station version of the 7, on AR15.com. It seems to be a great press in about every way except for the primer slider design. It seems to be designed to fail and breaks a lot. Other than that I really like many of the features on it. The big downside is they dont have a casefeeder for it right now, Im sure they will, but at what price? The Pro Chuckers are already pretty expensive.