Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody benched the STI TargetMaster?

RippinSVT

Guys, I need a proper Metallic gun and would prefer a 6" over the 5's I currently have. Obviously the TargetMaster is a great deal considering the sights and whatnot. Has anybody shot groups at 50 yards with one? If so, how did it group and with what load? I don't wanna spend $1600 on a 6" 1911 that shoots 4" or 5" groups when I already have many suitable pistols that will handily best that. I'm hoping somebody will chime in and say their's shoots 2-3" for 6 shots.

I've got guns that are capable of tiny groups, but the TargetMaster just seemed like a good value with the TriSet Aristocrats and the long slide. I really like the extra sight radius. Honestly, I may just shoot a PPC revolver.

I shoot a Target Master and I really like it, mind you I have re barreled with a Pulver barrel from Australia in .38 Super plus the slide has been lightened. I would probably have been better off financially to have had one built in .38 super in the first place. The Aristocrat sight is really nice to use.The rear blade is big and clean with no groves plus it slopes back to reduce reflection. Yes it will shoot every shot into the black at 50 yards. I have to take my time though from a prone position using a base pad. I have not bench tested it but I am sure it would shoot a great tight group. The only negative is they are not pretty. Cheers.

Form follows function, and therein lies the "beauty". I appreciate the input, I wouldn't mind one in 38 Super except that my Open gun is in 38SC and shooting it is a big production setting up my brass catcher nets and whatnot. I'd rather just let the 9mm brass lay :)

Size of group is the only standard to use. If the group looks good, then the gun looks good. The best looking gun in the world could shoot a group a shotgun would be proud of, the worst looking gun can shoot a group that a cockroach will struggle to get through. UGLY WINS.

Thanks guys.

My Open gun is an ugly duckling...scratches, tape, dings, etc. However, it is beautiful because it will shoot as good or better than any 1911 in existence. It's that accurate. The first group I shot was .27" at 25 yards, and into sub-inch at 50 for 6 shots, and that's without a Ransom. The USPSA guys crack me up with all the frills and bling. Different game, different tools.

I shoot a 6" Targetmaster, and I have put it on the bench. It's a 9mm reamed to 9x23. came from Brazzos (sp?). Reamed, lightened slide, spring work, trigger work, HOURS AND HOURS of load testing as anyone in our club will tell you. (they think I'm a little too particular)...

Anyhow, It will absolutely shoot sub 1" groups at 50 with the right load. I'd be happy to send you spreadsheets if you need data, but not sure it has much value for anything other than 9x23.

<1" is pretty awesome! I'm particular like that too. I went through dozens of loads and the very best components to find my load for a stock Glock 34 for Bianchi Production. Managed to get a damn Glock to shoot 2" at 50 with a factory barrel for 6 shots. I'm changing scopes on my Open gun soon and plan to mount a 6x pistol scope for some testing, which is something I've never done on a 1911. I genuinely think it'll do 1/2" with a magnified Leupold at 50.

I shoot a 6" Targetmaster, and I have put it on the bench. It's a 9mm reamed to 9x23. came from Brazzos (sp?). Reamed, lightened slide, spring work, trigger work, HOURS AND HOURS of load testing as anyone in our club will tell you. (they think I'm a little too particular)...

Anyhow, It will absolutely shoot sub 1" groups at 50 with the right load. I'd be happy to send you spreadsheets if you need data, but not sure it has much value for anything other than 9x23.

Are you using 9x23 Brass or 38 Supercomp ? .... And what is you "right load"