Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First let me say if this has been answered before I do apologize but I could not find the answer. With that said I have Dillon 550B and I am using a Dillon pistol die set in .40 S&W and the
sizing/depriming die is giving me issues. If I am loading .40 S&W and the brass is deprimed then I have no issues. But if the brass is not deprimed for the most part it will not deprime the spent primer. If there are no other cases then it will most of the time but if I am loading and the stations are full it will not deprime at least 70% of the time. The brass is a mix of blazer, Winchester and Remington and has been loaded anywhere from 1-5 times. All of my brass is tumbled and about half wet tumbled. I use Hornady One Shot to lubricate my cases before loading. I have replaced the decapping pin with a new one and the problem continues. I have also readjusted the sizing/decapping die with all stations full and the problem continues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you very much.

Joe

Some people have had the problem of primers sticking to the decapping pin and being pulled partially back into the case. Do you think this might be your problem ?? If so, just file a small flat on two sides of the bottom of the pin so that the anvil can't close onto the pin.

Some people have had the problem of primers sticking to the decapping pin and being pulled partially back into the case. Do you think this might be your problem ?? If so, just file a small flat on two sides of the bottom of the pin so that the anvil can't close onto the pin.

No i don't think this is the issue as the spent primers are still completely seated.

Does the back of the primer at least look like it is bulged out like the primer pin tried to push the primer out?

Since some of your brass is wet cleaned, it is possible that in the time it took it to dry, if formed some sort of seal between the brass and primer.

I have had this happen. Occasionaly, the primer would bulge out, sometimes it would remove the very top of the primer and leave the sides.

I now deprime prior to wet cleaning with a universal depriming die.

Hope this helps.

It is very unlikely that the depriming assembly is not pushing the primer out of the case. It is very likely that the spent primer is getting wedged onto the tip of the pin, getting partially pulled back up into the primer pocket. Then the attempt to seat the new primer reseats the primer back into the case. Use medium grit sandpaper of a cratex wheel to round off any square edges on the tip of the depriming pin, so it is less likely to stick to it.

Ok I think you guys are right about the primer being pulled back up into the case by the decapping pin and I was wrong about that. I believe it was pulling it part way back in and then in the action of trying to seat the new primer it just pushed the old one back in. I will try beveling the decapping pin and let you know how that works.

Thank you everyone for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to update you guys but I finally beveled the tip of my decapping-pin and it works like a charm. So thank-you guys for all the great advice. Now the question is why doesn't Dillon just sell the decapping pins already beveled or in a few different sizes.