Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best NEW 9mm Open gun Magazines?

open17

Just launched the build on a custom 9mm Open gun. Need some mags for it.

Old style SV tubes are getting hard to find, and I'm kind of in the mindset

"everything new" for the new gun.

Did a search, checked FAQ's---(someone will be along in a minute with the link to

the thread I missed :blush: ). Lots of info but nothing really up to date.

So---given the current state of the art, if you were going to buy a set of new mags

for an open gun, what would you get? Probably three 140's and one 170.

New MBX complete?

New SV complete?

MBX tubes with *** springs and followers and *** basepads?

SV tubes with *** springs and followers and *** basepads?

Little more info.

Not really interested in STI tubes and spacers.

Whether the 170 holds 29 or 30 (or even 28) is not a big deal. I'm

an old slow fat guy---plenty of time between arrays to hit a reload.

Reliability trumps capacity.

I have a very slight preference for straight on pads over slide on pads.

Moving the mag catch notch a bit on a SV or shaving the bottom flanges on an MBX to fit a pad isn't

a big deal. I've got a dandy milling machine.

SV or SPS tubes with grams internals and bp's will get u 28-29 rnds and be reliable. as long as your frame has the proper bevel along the bottom where the top of the magazine would be you'll have no trouble with new style SV mags, especially since you are having the gun built. or just try the mbx's; adrian is working hard to make a good product

Hello: I am testing a STI 140mm tube right now with Dawson follower and ISMI spring with Dawson base pad. It uses no spacers and is feeding 100% so far(less than 500 rounds). I will try a 170mm as soon as I can get my hands on some. I have used STI 170mm tubes before and modified the bottom, and used Grams guts and base pads. They worked fine but took a bit of work to make work. Once done they worked 100% and as far as I know are still going strong. Thanks, Eric

This thread got me to look at the MBX website.

It indicates their tubes are designed to work with MBX internals. Has anyone tried other vendors followers and springs with these tubes? Did they require modification?

Thanks.

Bill

If the MBX mags work as advertised (expecially without 9mm spacers) why would you want to try other internals. Just saying....

The price is right too. The only mags I know of that run 100% without spacers are the old style SV and you pay a small fortune for those in good shape.

Having said, I have not tried MBX as I have the old style SV mags and they run 38/9 100% with Bevan's stuff.

This thread got me to look at the MBX website.

It indicates their tubes are designed to work with MBX internals. Has anyone tried other vendors followers and springs with these tubes? Did they require modification?

Thanks.

Bill

If the MBX mags work as advertised (expecially without 9mm spacers) why would you want to try other internals. Just saying....

The price is right too. The only mags I know of that run 100% without spacers are the old style SV and you pay a small fortune for those in good shape.

Having said, I have not tried MBX as I have the old style SV mags and they run 38/9 100% with Bevan's stuff.

The only reason I asked is I have a small stockpile of Grams followers and springs plus extra Dawson base pads. I use the old style SV mags for matches and considered some MBX tubes for practice.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: I like the old style SVI tubes as well for 9mm. Feed lips stay tuned and they simply just work. I have been using the same big stick for over 6 years and have not changed anything in it. Same follower and spring but have changed out the base pads a couple of times but have gone back to the Dawson ones for good. Thanks, Eric