Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POWDER OF CHOICE

Nemo

Ok... Some time ago I learned the hard way that my 625 doesn't like Winchester primers. <_< click...click...boom...click...boom...click :angry: I'm not loading any 45's but want to take my revo out more often so have to start.

What about powder? I'm not into experimenting with loads, I stick to what works for me and foggedaboutit. Only two powders on my bench N-320 and Titegroup for my Llim and Prod pistolas.

But which is the powder of choice of the revo shooters? Clays? Bullseye?

Anyone?

Clays is the cleanest, hands down, with lead, but I haven't tried to run it at the levels necessary to get to major with FMJ's; at the higher pressures of jacketed bullets, Titegroup works fine.

Good starting places to look for a clean major load:

230 RNL/4.0 Clays, or

230 FMJ/ 4.5 Titegroup

titegroup is cheap and plentiful.... and dirty

I use it in everything from .38 revo to .45 autoblaster. It is as consistant as it is cheap. It's just a bit dirty.

I used to use V-320 in my revolver loads. Real clean. Only problem is that it cost about $75/4# jug and titegroup is $93/8# jug.

FWIW

dj

For .45 Revolver loads, I would suggest CLAYS, American Select, and Titegroup. CLAYS and American Select are by far the cleanest and softest. I used to use W231 for everything and after the chambers get gummy it can be a bear on the reloads in the middle of the stage... :angry:

I favor 200 grn RNs over Clays or N320; I think Clays gets the nod for being clean. Had to go a little over book load w/ plated 200s for a safe margin into major, but then again, guys are using unmodified 625s for shooting .45 Super (some brands of +p brass & really hot loads sending 230s faster than 1100 fps). I am not worried about my Clays loads.

I understand that N310 is supposed to be an exceptional .45 powder.

I use it in everything from .38 revo to .45 autoblaster. It is as consistant as it is cheap. It's just a bit dirty.
DJ - You just don't use enough Titegroup. I use 4.1 grains in .38 Special (158 grain ZERO RNL) and I've shot 700 rounds in a day with no powder in the barrel. It turned my stainless M67's cylinder black, but that was on the outside. :) I use my bottomfeeder load in my 1917 (4.8 grains under a 230 cast RNL) and it's clean too.

After a little range time today, my WST loads felt softer than those with Clays, but they are WAY dirty compared to Clays. I need to do a little more testing and experimenting with bullet weights and LRN vs. plated vs. FMJ.

So far, Clays gets the vote for clean.

I went to the range to chrono three loads for the 625.

They were shot at 25yds, and all chono results were 12 round aggregate at 45 degrees.

Federal large pistol primer, Rem bulk 230jhp:

4.3gr VV310 avg 750 with lowest 735 = 169-172PF

4.3 N100 avg 813 PF 186

4.2 CLAYS avg 801 PF 184

Obviously the N100 and CLAYS can come down a bit, but I was happy with the 2in group with the VV310 at 25yds in the wind. I am thinking this will do just fine!