Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Mount for my new Vortex 1-6 RZR HD

crossgun

So I made the decision to go with or at least try the Vortex 1-6. Honestly wasn't a fan of any of the reticle choices but what you guys had to say was overwhelming. I choose the MIL. Now looking for a mount for it as I believe from what I have read that it should be an extended ring set? Additionally is there an option for something a little higher than the traditional co-witness?

Recently went through this and went with Bobro extended. This is a great mount. I have Larue mounts for other optics and they are great mounts too but for my 3 gun upper I went to Bobro.

Are you mounting this with a Fixed front sight base? I wouldn't want this scope higher but then I wouldn't co-witness this scope

I should have the scope in hand today which will tell all. I currently have a few Larue and an ADM extend mount on hand to get started. No plans for a back sight currently but giving some thought to running some sort of RDS like a Delta Point or Fast Fire.

I have been looking at the Warne RAMP30TW which has that built in rail section at the back. I have yet to determine if it's set forward enough though. Sometimes not being able to see and touch some of this gear is a real PITA.

If you're going to move the scope from rifle to rifle or need to switch it out to shoot limited then a QD mount like the ADM Recon, Warne, or Larue makes sense and all are quality pieces. If you don't switch it out often you can lose 4-6 ozs. by going to the Aero Precision extended or SPR mount and save some money as a bonus.

I saved 6 ozs. on my rifle by switching from ADM to Aero and it still takes no more than 2-3 minutes to remove/replace and it returns to zero when doing so. :cheers:

I'm loving the Aero, I replaced my Larue SPR-E with it.

Thats said, Larue, ADM, etc would work, as long as you go with a forward offset mount.

On a competition gun quick release seems pointless so might as well go with solid one piece non-quick-release mount

Was lucky enough for the time being to have found an ADM Recon mount in that box of stuff we all have. I guess with that 3" of forward offset I could never find a use for it until now. I really like the location it has the Vortex currently sitting and that is with the mount all the way forward on the upper receiver. Going shorter might be a compromise but it appears many of you are getting by. I do have to have a pretty good check weld, even more so than with Aimpoints. I did read that a few are running higher mounts like the taller Larue and for my build and style might see that as faster and a plus however the scope is going to have to come back a little. For sure I need a little range time and to get prone to sort that out.

As for the Vortex I really thought I was going to hate it. Not from a glass stand point but more as a result of the reticle. In my mind I really felt like a circle dot or horseshoe was needed to be faster especially up close even though I prefer a single dot RDS like the Aimpoint. At this point with no rounds fired and a few hours air gunning got to say I was wrong in my belief. While I still wish the crosshairs didn't go all the way to the edge I don't see an issue and believe the reticle is fine both a 1x and 6x. I chose the MIL reticle and am glad I did. YES the dot is precise and YES to daylight bright. Never had it turned all the way up and found myself dialing it back frequently.

Are you guys aware of anything taller other than the Larue mount?

I looked at the Aero mount and not sure what I think about how the rings are held together at the top. Any know or reported issues?

Thanks to all for the input and help. Please keep sharing.

Are you guys aware of anything taller other than the Larue mount?

I looked at the Aero mount and not sure what I think about how the rings are held together at the top. Any know or reported issues?

I don't think the Larue SPR-E is any taller then the rest of them, they all seem to place the center of the scope roughly 2.7" above the bore line.

I've seen no problems what so ever with the Aero, I actually think it is better and smarter then the Larue 8 screw approach. The other thing I really like is the full lugs it uses to mount on the upper. So far it has been excellent, and I have tossed it barrels and the like.

Getting to the range this weekend will be the true test of the ADM Recon X mount. No doubt that I will need to run this or another extended mount. My standard Larue 1.5 and ADM mounts just dont offer enough forward offset with the Vortex. Been doing some serious investigating and thought I would share some numbers for those interested. Lower 1/3 co witness height with Aimpoint Red Dot style sights is considered 1.7" above the rail and absolute co-witness is 1.52"

Scope Mount Heights: (30mm ring from center line to to of rail)

Warne 1.435" ADM Recon/Scout 1.471" Larue 1.500" JP 1.470" Bobro 1.575" No info on the AERO

Well at least now I better understand why I feel I need more of a cheek weld with the stock versus running the lower 1/3 red dots. amccallister was spot on, thanks!