Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My raced up revolver...S&W 929

BigBamBoo

So I have been shooting limited (major and minor) in USPSA and just wanted to do something different.
I first thought about switching to single stack, but that just does not really excite me.
Then I thought about production, but everyone shoots production.

And then I was clearing out some old pictures and came across some pics of my old S&W TRR8 and it it got me thinking....hmmm.

I had started shooting USPSA with the TRR8, but the rules back then made it so I had to reload after 6 rounds. And that kinda sucked doing all those standing reloads.

Then I saw the S&W 929, 8 shot 9mm and just had to have one.

I checked around with all the well known revolver smiths and everyone told me it would be 3-6 months to have it slicked up.

I then spoke with Eli at TK Customs. Well known for their moon clips and cylinder modifications. Eli told me he could have it worked over and back to me in 2-3 weeks. Wow...much better time frame.

After picking it up, I did not even shoot it. I boxed it up and sent it to TK Customs to "race it up" for me.

They did an action job, installed a Apex hammer and extended firing pin, chamfered and polished the cylinders, installed a fiber optic front sight, and checked for any quality control issues. I had the gun back to me in 12 DAYS!!!

I put a Houge Big Butt grip and one of 10mmDave's extended cylinder releases.

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but dry firing it is just amazing. Out of the box the trigger was 11+ lbs and kinda gritty. Now it is at 7 lbs., and is smooth as silk. I can't wait to shoot in revolver division...heck, with so few revo shooters these days, I should be a paper GM in no time! :D

And here are the pics:

ivx4TZ.jpg

ZRrkSG.jpg

fWdavZ.jpg

VLkHH5.jpg

I became a fair handgun shooter on a revolver back when I was 21 years old, and while I'm not (currently) much of a revolver guy, I'd sure like one of these 929's!!! My club runs trophies for amassed points in a year. Somewhere in the future, I'd figure there might just be a go at a trophy in the revolver division, and the above photoes are pretty much what I'd do it with. Nice, nice, very nice!!!

:cheers:

Edited by jkrispies

So I have been shooting limited (major and minor) in USPSA and just wanted to do something different.

I first thought about switching to single stack, but that just does not really excite me.

Then I thought about production, but everyone shoots production.

And then I was clearing out some old pictures and came across some pics of my old S&W TRR8 and it it got me thinking....hmmm.

I had started shooting USPSA with the TRR8, but the rules back then made it so I had to reload after 6 rounds. And that kinda sucked doing all those standing reloads.

Then I saw the S&W 929, 8 shot 9mm and just had to have one.

I checked around with all the well known revolver smiths and everyone told me it would be 3-6 months to have it slicked up.

I then spoke with Eli at TK Customs. Well known for their moon clips and cylinder modifications. Eli told me he could have it worked over and back to me in 2-3 weeks. Wow...much better time frame.

After picking it up, I did not even shoot it. I boxed it up and sent it to TK Customs to "race it up" for me.

They did an action job, installed a Apex hammer and extended firing pin, chamfered and polished the cylinders, installed a fiber optic front sight, and checked for any quality control issues. I had the gun back to me in 12 DAYS!!!

I put a Houge Big Butt grip and one of 10mmDave's extended cylinder releases.

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but dry firing it is just amazing. Out of the box the trigger was 11+ lbs and kinda gritty. Now it is at 7 lbs., and is smooth as silk. I can't wait to shoot in revolver division...heck, with so few revo shooters these days, I should be a paper GM in no time! :D

And here are the pics:ivx4TZ.jpgZRrkSG.jpgfWdavZ.jpgVLkHH5.jpg

So big question,,not counting cost of Gun. How much money did it take to get it to this point ??or do you want to tell ?

Thanks folks. It is going to be a BIG change for me going from the STI Edge to the wheel gun. But I am just looking to do something different.

With the new belt, holster, clip holder, clips, loader, and the work done on the gun....around $1300-1400 if my math is right. just the gun work was around $650.00.

Thanks folks. It is going to be a BIG change for me going from the STI Edge to the wheel gun. But I am just looking to do something different.

With the new belt, holster, clip holder, clips, loader, and the work done on the gun....around $1300-1400 if my math is right. just the gun work was around $650.00.

So is that $1300-$1400 plus the cost of the gun?

So is that $1300-$1400 plus the cost of the gun?

Yes, that was what it took. New Race master holster $210.00. Double Alpha belt $55.00. Moon clip holder $165.00. 40 TK moon clips $175.00 (You could get by with less). Moon clip tool $40.00. Extended cylinder release $65.00. Houge grip $115.00. TK Custom action job and sight install $585.00. So yep...just over $1400.00 PLUS the price of the gun.

Very nice.

But don't let this scare away anyone thinking of going into Revolver.

It can easily be done for under $400 for everything but the Revolver and Moon Clips.

I spent $500 also on 100 HearthCo Moonclips, Just didn't want to ever have to reuse a fired Moon Clip in a big Match, but you can get by with less.

Edited by pskys2

I am not rich and am not being a jerk....but I honestly thought is was kinda "cheap" compared to limited. I have two Brazo's HP Edge pistols that I have about $3500 + EACH into. That includes tuned mags, holster, belt, mag pouches, etc.

So to get a fully raced up revo setup for around $2.5k seems like a "bargain" to me.

I'm in 1750$ including the gun and full rig, clips and everything. 6lb trigger from pinnacle high performance chamfered/polished cylinder, fiber optic sight, Dave's cylinder release, miculek grip plus about 40 moon clips. DAA racer holster and Including moonclip holder and moon clip tool. I'm as cheap as they come and if I stocked the classifieds here and was patient enough, I think I could've got the setup a few bucks cheaper. You can go "cheap"

post-55741-0-50892300-1440900030_thumb.j

I think revolver division is classy. I spent less because I knew how to do more? How is this so? There are truly awesome people in this division that will spend much of their valuable time teaching you the ways of wonder. I am fortunate to have a few friends that are GM's and even some masters and a few gunsmiths. There is a brotherhood here that is unmatched in the other divisions. Revo shooters are generally awesome people, USPSA, idpa, CAS, ICORE... You can't find a better crowd.

You are correct about the revo crowd. Being a shooter in IDPA, ICORE, and SASS it's the wheelgunners who really helped me as a beginner in each. I'm working to bring life back into our REV division for club IDPA matches and we have about 2-3x as many shooters as last year. If a new shooter is looking to buy more gear I'll park my slicked up 625 next to the CZ Shadow T I used to shoot and ask them which one looks like more fun. Most people look at the sea of Glocks and M&Ps forgetting how much fun a revolver is.

I am not rich and am not being a jerk....but I honestly thought is was kinda "cheap" compared to limited. I have two Brazo's HP Edge pistols that I have about $3500 + EACH into. That includes tuned mags, holster, belt, mag pouches, etc.

So to get a fully raced up revo setup for around $2.5k seems like a "bargain" to me.

No doubt Revo is cheaper to get into than either Limited or Open and is on par with Production.

And your rig looks great.

With Revo numbers being low those of us who have been pushing it for years like to remind those on the fence you can get into it frugally.

And as with your point one can get deep into it for a lot less.

The best of both worlds.

Confuses me why there's not more interested.

No doubt Revo is cheaper to get into than either Limited or Open and is on par with Production.

With Revo numbers being low those of us who have been pushing it for years like to remind those on the fence you can get into it frugally.

The best of both worlds.

Electrons (and people) follow the path of least resistance. Effectively (and quickly) shooting a revolver is hard

The best of both worlds.

Electrons (and people) follow the path of least resistance. Effectively (and quickly) shooting a revolver is hard

Guess so, I know I've always marched to my own drummer and am hard headed, opinionated and willing to stand up and state my piece. Most interesting people seem that way. And even I find myself fondling my 1911's, 2011 and even (ghast) my glock. But then I come around and pick up the one that's most fun.

"Automatics" were sacrilege in my Father's house. My first shots were taken at the age of five on a Smith and Wesson model 63. My first centerfire handgun was a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45LC. So in a way I never knew that marksmanship existed outside of the revolver path. I only later learned as a young adult that "automatics" also had accuracy potential, but by then it was too late. After my first moonclip gun in the mid twenties I became an elitist living in the wheel world.