Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting glasses

hdgun

Does any one color let you see the dot better on a bright sunny day with the sun in front of you. I have found under the above conditions the dot washes out against the target. Any sudgestions? Thanks, John

John, if you have a set of interchangeable lenses, get some vermillion lenses and try them. Makes all the difference in the world on a sunny day. If you are running an older holosight DO NOT get polarized lenses, ask me how I know.......DougC

I took the advice Benny left in a similar thread and use clear lenses with a ball cap. This works great in Kentucky. If you have a brighter environment than the old "dark and bloody ground" your milage may vary.

Kenny,

Fred even shifted to Rudy, not just red...Bill shifted to red...Cary is just too cheap (but wants to)...Liota bought red Rudy's... You just showed us the light (so to speak)...

:lol:

Alex

Not just as a selling point... but meant as information as well.

Clear lenses are great for night shooting, and some instances with indoor shooting only.

Why not take advantage of technology when it comes to lens color. Rudy Project is not the only company to experiment with varying shades of lenses, they are just the only company to have taken it this far.

Any type of lighting condition can be enhanced with the correct shade of lens.

Amber is the old school fix, and the RP yellow lens is the absolute brightest I have ever encountered, so bright I can't use them without getting a headache.

The mirrored lenses are great for really bright conditions so long as you take precautions so the reflection does not increase the liklihood of a sunburn.

The best solution for 99% of the shooters I have encountered is a pair of glasses (several choices) that include both a Racing Red lens and the Golf 100 (dark green) lens.

Several shooters in the desert southwest use the racing red exclusively, while others opt for a darker lens on all but overcast days. I personally have used racing red indoors and out, as well as in dark houses and for night shoots.

There are always those who don't want to spend the extra money for a quality pair of glasses, but many of those don't realize the Rudy Projects come with a lifetime scratched lens replacement and a 3 year warranty on the frames.

I got the rudy graul with three lenses, clear, orange, and smoke. I never use the smoke as they make my pupils dialate too much. Orange is pretty much what I run unless is very overcast - then I switch to the clear. On sale at a bike shop, they ran me $105.00

Jim, I'm really curious about the RP golf lenses (still waiting for stocks for over 6 months already :(). I already have the racing red, laser black, laser deg clear and the clear. I was wondering if you have encountered a typical scenario where using the golf would offer an advantage over the others I already have. Thanks a lot.

Hey John. Once upon a time I bought a Cmore, a tasco pdpIII, and a Holosight. I was trying to find a dot that would hold up to pinloads!

As you can imagine one long afternoon setting up a scope, sighting it in, then shooting the pins until the dot gave out due to battery crush. I really liked the Holosight but couldnt see the damn image very well. Frustrating. When I took off my new custom shooting glasses and put my sunglasses on I could then see it brighter than the sun. My shooting glasses were polarized. I corresponded with Jerry Barnhart as well, who told me he went throught the same thing.

I bit the bullet and had vermillon lenses made for my Decots, and my Bolle Vigilantes had vermillon lensed in the shooting pack as well. Made all the difference at the Steel Challenge last year! See ya at the PSA! DougC

Thanks Doug, I will look into getting a Vermillion lens for my Oakleys. I love the Holosite on my pin gun as well.Took it of for the same reason (could not see the dot).I am not going to PSA this year.Have to save $$ for Steel chalange in Ca.Also going to do Area 7, Aware match and maybe NJ. Steel Chalange. If I don't see ya have a great time. John