Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who knows where your guns are?

This week, we received one of the worst possible phone calls. My father-in-law was found dead in his home. Fortunately, he kept meticulous records. We have a key to his safety deposit box at the bank. In the box were detailed financial records and the combination to the hidden gunsafe. This is the reason for this post. Many of us likely have more guns than our spouses are aware of. I am not even sure that my wife knows the combination to the gun safe. Unfortunately, this has to change. In the event of my card being punched prematurely, I don't want her to have to hire a locksmith to drill open the safe and have no idea of the values. I am making a detailed list of all of my valuable possessions including firearms and providing this info to some close friends. I will also include this info in the safety deposit box.

You hate to have to think about these things but I am grateful that my F-I-L planned well.

Balakay

My condolences on the tragic loss of your father in law. Thank you for the post as I am not prepared at all for my

untimely demise and the head ache it would cause my wife of 30 years. You have inspired me to get my firearms, and suchin order.

Thanks

Mike

Great point! Not too long ago it occurred to me that if my wife passed, taking care of some of her financial endeavors could be challenging to say the least. So we went through a little planning and information sharing to ensure one of us wouldn't be caught out in the event of a tragedy, but it didn't include an accounting of guns, values and location of them all. I'll have to take care of that. ;)

About a year ago, I inventoried all my guns/reloading equipment & supplies, and listed them

for my wife, with estimated resale values (in 2014). Went over the list with her - she knows

where everything is, and how much it's worth for when she has to sell it. :cheers:

Very sorry for your loss. For me, my Son knows where they are, what they are, and can do with them what he pleases when I am gone.

The important thing is finances. I just went through this with a customer. His wife did everything for the family.Paid all bills, made all appointments, etc.

The live away from here and have a local summer home. No one did anything about the summer home last winter. Heat went out, pipes froze, and guess what............ No insurance as the wife had died and no one realized the payment was due.

• 2 weeks later...

OP, sorry for your loss. But this is an issue that all of us face at a certain age. Personally, I have given my two safe combos to 3 of my younger shooting buddies, and my tax accountant and my stock broker. I don't want some sleeze bag guy coming over and offering $2,000 for both safes and all the contents, worth over 100K. So if I pitch out, my wife has written instructions for contacts, and how to proceed.

On September 7th 2013, I was almost killed in an unfortunate incident while working. I was laid up for a month after that and had ALOT of time to think about things. Balakay, sorry for your loss, but you do have a very good point. After my injury my wife and I went through everything. We made spreadsheets for guns, tools, jewelry etc. All with quantity and approx. value. I would urge everyone to do the same. Thank you for bringing this to peoples attention.