Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads don't chamber in 625

Alaskan454

Hello, I have been trying to figure out the root cause of oversized rounds in my 625. I'm using Dillon dies which I've just now read might not be resizing enough. They all drop in after resizing so I think it's bullet bulge that seems to be my problem, after I started to flare the mouth a bit more and seat bullets more carefully there are less out of spec rounds. I've started separating all of my loaded ammo in different lots to help identify the cause, but I figured I would ask to see if I'm missing something obvious before I keep loading more. It was a problem with both 200gr and 230gr lead bullets sized to .452 and .453. I really don't mind sorting all the brass by headstamp and loaded size, but the 625 is my only gun they won't chamber in, all the other 45s are just fine. The brass is all mixed, but a large majority of it came from my guns and I don't have any 45 Glocks so proportionally I don't think it could be glock related.

I'm surely no expert on reloading for a S&W 625, but if anything I'd think they might be a little more forgiving.

You don't by chance have any build up in the cylinders? If bullets are being seated crooked, I'd expect that to be more of an issue for semi-auto's then the revolvers.

I don't shoot lead, but have had to play around with my OAL when loading plated 200gr bullets. They were seating slightly crooked, and my HK Tactical was the more sensitive to this than my other .45's (did not try my 625 or governor tho). It seemed by seating the bullet deeper, I ended up with more rounds that did not pass my case gauge, and intern did not chamber correctly in my HK, went from an OAL of 1.250 to 1.200 and that seemed to do it, but I was 100% positive that this was my issue.

~g

Some 625's have out of spec chambers and require reaming to get in spec.

The worst are -2 and -8 versions but I just ream every 625 cylinder that comes in the shop and have seen undersize chambers in all dash versions.

The ones that I see the most are undersize at the bottom of the chamber. Ammo goes in but gets tight the last 1/4 inch or so.

May still be issue with the reloads but gun might be the problem.

That sounds exactly like the issue I'm having, they always got 90% in but not the last bit. Mine is a 625JM made in 2013 I believe. I should mention the Dillon case gauge I have exhibits the same behavior so I wasn't going to blame the gun just yet.

Edited by Alaskan454

That sounds exactly like the issue I'm having, they always got 90% in but not the last bit. Mine is a 625JM made in 2013 I believe. I should mention the Dillon case gauge I have exhibits the same behavior so I wasn't going to blame the gun just yet.

If they don't gauge, it is probably not the gun... or not JUST the gun.

.453" is pretty chubby for .45 ACP.

Yeah, I have both .452 and .453 cast since a few of my guns have .452+ grooves. The bullet size isn't really making a difference so I think it's the bullet seating out of round. Most of the ones that don't slip right in have an asymmetric bulge. I forgot I have a few hundred plated 200gr so I might try those and see if I get the same issue.

I'm surely no expert on reloading for a S&W 625, but if anything I'd think they might be a little more forgiving.

You don't by chance have any build up in the cylinders? If bullets are being seated crooked, I'd expect that to be more of an issue for semi-auto's then the revolvers.

I don't shoot lead, but have had to play around with my OAL when loading plated 200gr bullets. They were seating slightly crooked, and my HK Tactical was the more sensitive to this than my other .45's (did not try my 625 or governor tho). It seemed by seating the bullet deeper, I ended up with more rounds that did not pass my case gauge, and intern did not chamber correctly in my HK, went from an OAL of 1.250 to 1.200 and that seemed to do it, but I was 100% positive that this was my issue.

~g

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was my thought exactly.

Run 6 cases through your sizer and see if the fit without loading a bullet

if they do you've eliminated the sizing die

then

Load some dummy rounds no powder/primer so you can figure out whats going on

My ammo that loads in the auto's also loads in the 625

As mentioned before ink the case and see where its hitting

also check ea. chamber with each of your six dummies that will help you know if some of the chambers are off

BUT

Normally its the ammo not the gun

Thanks for the help, I marked a bunch and the bullet bulge is my issue. Trouble is only 5% are oversize so it's been hard to figure out the root cause. Every one I checked after my sizing die is just fine so I'll see if pushing c.o.l does the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

I just loaded up 1K 155gr SWCs at .453 and the seated depth turns out to be the most sensitive parameter as mentioned above. I adjusted the c.o.l by 20 thousandths of an inch and went from about 25% oversize cases to <1%. I've done a lot of testing on my brass throughout the process and it looks like the Dillon sizing die is not part of the issue, it is 100% related to the bullet dimensions, seated depth, and bullet placement. The next batch are plated and a bit more forgiving in dimensional tolerances. Just thought I'd pass this along in case someone else runs into the same issue later on.

• 3 weeks later...

It is the bullet bulge that causes the problem in my 625 JM. The S&W evidently has tighter chambers than any of my 1911 guns. If they drop in my guage they'll drop in the revolver. I bought one of the Lee dies that sizes as it crimps and it seems to work. I know it sizes the bullet too but for IDPA and plinking I can't tell any difference. Still load bullseye on a single stage press and some segregated GI brass that all guages good. Remington brass also all guages good, must be a hair thinner. It is bullet diameter, seating depth and variations in brass.

I just got my first Freedom Arms and the S&W chamber is almost as tight as a model 83. Rounds that plop right into a Ruger chamber are a little tight in the 625 and need a manual push in the FA to seat. I suppose that's a good thing for most purposes but I like a bit of wiggle room in a gun that will get up to 200 rounds in one match. I have a moonclip converted Redhawk and since it's a 45 Colt native cylinder it feeds absolutely everything I feed it without issue. Maybe one of these days I'll actually shoot it in a match.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The 625 JM cylinder needs reamed. Seen more than a few like that. But 453 may be a bit much I have some bullets that a manufacturer sent me that are 455 and they won't work in my 625, which has not had any problems.

So 1st try it with just 452 bullets in a cleaned cylinder, then try the 453 bullets.

Then keep shooting until you have a problem, look and make sure you're not getting a lead buildup in the cylinder too.

I'm with PARISITE, though I get there by a different route. I taper crimp my loaded rounds in a separate step. More work, but I've never encountered a feeding problem associated with bullet seating that it did NOT either fix outright or help considerably.

• 3 weeks later...