Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What barrel profile for 3 Gun?

Haraise

I've got a 16" straight .625" pencil profile barrel with .625" mid-length gas block and a Taccom mini comp on it. It is stupid light and great for short stages, but after a 30 round magazine in the heat, the group opens up to about 2-3 MOA. Fine for our local matches where a single stage is unlikely to see more than 20 rounds of rifle, but it was a mistake to run it in a recent major match with 14 targets at 200-450 yards after a bunch of close-range paper on the same stage. My other 'Limited' upper is a 20" heavy profile barrel with rifle-length gas and it is a bit of a chore on quick transition, run & gun stages. I'm looking to build a happy medium over the winter.

It really depends on the matches and the distance etc. Lighter is a little quicker up close to move, heavier is more stable at distance. I have a 20 inch government profile which is .750 from gas block on out and like .625-.650 under the handguard so its not real heavy for a 20 inch especially when the handguard is a 15 inch midwest keymod which is pretty light. it balances very well too. I have on the other end a 10.5 inch SBR that is a .625 all over with a light handguard so it weighs very little and is great for the hosing bay stages. I have also used a 18 inch socom which is .750 all over and it feels good as well as a more middle of the road gun and is close to the 20 inch government weight wise. For the use your looking at the socom/mid weight profile is a good compromise as its .750 all out and seems to hold groups a little longer when hot.

Edited by EkuJustice