Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ft. Benning 3-Gun

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Mr. Ray on this. Not that I'm running down the 3GN but for match the caliber that the Army can put on, Blue Ridge rules or IMGA rules are better.....besides, the targets need heads! :) especially on Ft. Benning.

I'm with Mr. Ray on this. Not that I'm running down the 3GN but for match the caliber that the Army can put on, Blue Ridge rules or IMGA rules are better.....besides, the targets need heads! :) especially on Ft. Benning.

I for one would like to see less rule sets, specially when they vary a lot. For example, I wish we all agreed on how many guns we can dump in a barrel, or what counts as a loaded gun when abandoned. Differences in rules end up with people going home early if they forgot which particular set of rules applies here or there.

For that I welcome the notion of using an existing rule set in use by other matches.

Well the 3GN regional rules are used by more major matches then any other rule set in the country now. The east coast uses them more then anywhere. So it seems pretty fitting.

For you guys that are bent around the wheel about having head shots you can always do this. It's great for the SOF era guys especially since most fought in Vietnam. ????

FAFB459D-7110-4DAC-918F-8DA3D8D25024_zps

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I for one would like to see less rule sets, specially when they vary a lot. For example, I wish we all agreed on how many guns we can dump in a barrel, or what counts as a loaded gun when abandoned. Differences in rules end up with people going home early if they forgot which particular set of rules applies here or there.

For that I welcome the notion of using an existing rule set in use by other matches.

3GN has addressed every one of those points with common sense and from a shooters perspective.

There has been no talks or any agreement reached from 3GN to partner with Fort Benning, so right now whichever rules or version they choose to use are purely speculation.

Edited by mr50mag

Hey guys, sorry to start a new thread on the same thing, but I didn't want people to miss the announcement and all the sign up info since it wouldn't be in the first post. The official announcement is on the thread above this one. Hopefully a lot of the questions are answered in that post, if not just let me know on the other thread and I'll get you any info I can.

Thanks for understanding,

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Horner

Oh, the one weekend in December I couldn't do a match this year. *sigh* Let's hope the timing works out better next year, because this is a match I really want to try!

I have to say that the 3GN ruleset has made some nice improvements in reducing DQs (recognizing the difference between a gun grounded improperly vs. one grounded unsafely is great!). I still prefer that matches not be scored overall time-plus (makes it hard to mix short and long stages without the short stages getting lost in the shuffle) and the penalty values are definitely scaled towards Pro-series fast run-and-gun stages rather than longer stages—that is, a 2.5sec FTN is a painful penalty on a 20 sec stage, not quite so much on a 60+ sec stage.

"that is, a 2.5sec FTN is a painful penalty on a 20 sec stage, not quite so much on a 60+ sec stage.

You can't possibly be serious about this claim?

That's the cool thing about total time and the value of a 1:1second ratio.

Go get a 15sec FTN on a 100pt 20 second stage then tell me how painful 2.5 is when you just lost 75% of the stage on 1 target.

In 3GN it makes no difference where the penalty or jam takes place because at the end it's just additional time not a fluctuation in value based on the size of the stage.

I think there is a real ingrained misconception of the 3GN scoring and how it applies to the size and scope of each stage.

It has nothing to do with feelings or being rewarded because you did something fast on a little stage or cause you boned the long range stage. It's a record of your match and that's all that counts when you add it all up.

Is there any other time based sport professional or otherwise that uses a comstock style of scoring where on one stage a second is valued differently than another?

Serious question. I can't think of one.

Another example:

(20 + 2.5) + 60 = 82.5

(60 + 2.5) + 20 = 82.5

How does the same penalty equal pain on the 20sec stage but is inconsequential on the 60sec stage?

It doesn't, the value remains constant regardless of the stage or where it occurs.

When you start arbitrarily valuing stages at 100 points the value per second fluctuates based on the stage winners time. Some agree on it, 3GN however doesn't.

Is there any other time based sport professional or otherwise that uses a comstock style of scoring where on one stage a second is valued differently than another?

Serious question. I can't think of one.

Sure, there are a number of things that do, some car racing for example where each race or leg earns you points, instead of adding your total time at the end. It is far from the only example, and a pretty good matching to stages as a part of a match

OK fair enough.

At a certain level all of this matters not but at a different level it means everything.

Now if there was a total point system where the the value of the stage reflected the amount of targets present and their difficulty and all the penalties were in points I could agree.