Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of cheese? I would suspect that if it has the fuzz variety of mold on it and not the veined type of mold or the mold layer like brie or taleggio, then I would call it bad. At what temp is it being kept? I've um, not really run into this before, even when I was cooking for a living.. and we had some pretty funky smelling cheeses at that restaurant. lol

Vince

If it is a really good cheese, cut the green off and eat it anyway. Of course, be sure to stay near the 'bano' as 300lbGorilla suggested. ( I think that's what he was getting at :D )

From a confirmed disliker of cheese!!!!! :P

dj

Consider that we eat "dead" cheese in this country, a little mold shows some sign of life. Afterall cheese is simply spoiled milk. A little time to ripen is good for it.

"How can anyone govern a nation that has 246 different kinds of cheese?"

Charles de Gaulle

I read in one of my gardening books (seed savers annual harvest edition 2004) that in Italy, records recorded 10 years ago, had 400 different traditional types of cheese and in the last 10 years, that # has dropped to only 200 different traditional types. I wonder how many cheeses Italy has lost since before there were records. 246 in France of the 40's or 50's? I'm thinking Italy has em beat.

Vince

George: That "V" stuff ain't cheese. No way, no how. It is just yellow-orange death in a vacuum pack. My wife, bless her soul, thinks this stuff makes a "good toasted cheese sandwich". Uh...no.

There is no such thing as "American" cheese. That is some processed (say it like a Canadian with a long "oh" sound = "proooo-cessed") cheese food.

Ordering a sandwich at a deli in Vancouver some years back.

“You want cheese on that?“

“Uh, yeah, howsabout some of that American cheese?” (me pointing to it)

“We don’t have any American cheese here!“

“Well, Howsabout some of that light orange stuff there then?” (me still pointing at the same light orange block of “American” cheese)

I wonder what would have happened if I had wanted a Canadian bacon sandwich?

--

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I survived the moldy cheese without having to camp out at my toilet for a night, but the saga continues ...

Last night about this time I had my second meal of the day that consisted of Tostitos Scoops and the Tostitos Medium Queso that comes in a jar. I didn't refrigerate after opening (not that it would have done much good since my refrigerator still sucks.) Anyway, what's left still smells okay (as good as a moderately viscous yellow #5 pseudo-cheese EricW classified polymeric dipping sauce can) but it's been out almost 24 hours.

The question is ... if I microwave it for a couple of minutes will it still be okay? Has anyone survived this sort of thing?

Just to be safe maybe I should chase it with tequila to kill anything that nuking it didn't catch. <_< Hmmm ...

You can't hurt that type of dip unless you accidentally got some actual organic material in it while you were first using it.

The tequila can't hurt, unless you use too much ;-)

--

Regards,