Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital in ear hearing protection..?

hornetx40

I am looking at 3 brands of these custom digital plugs...Hear Pro, ESP, and Defend ear. Does anyone have any experience with any of them that they could tell me good or bad. I don't mind spending the money to protect my ears and be able to hear. I just don't want to throw it away either. Thanks for any help.

I can only speak to Sport Ears. I have 2 son's with them and they have had them 6-7 years now. Both love them. Both are Army Infantry and swear by them. Sport Ears makes a few versions. My kids have the custom molded ones with amplification. They are basically the company's hearing aids with electronic suppression built in. Best of luck.

I just got the Westone Defend Ears II and shot a Match on Sunday, I'm very happy with the product. I had to turn them down to the lowest setting for my liking.

At half volume you could hear foot steps at 30 feet away! ( I might use them for Deer hunting) and 100% of the 'BANG' is muted, very nice.

I've been using the Hear-Pro AMP37 plugs for not quite a year now, and they're fantastic. Their customer service has been great, and the product itself does an awesome job of blocking loud noises while letting normal conversation through. The new electronics they're putting in now have variable settings based on your ambient noise conditions as well as a variable "master" volume control. Highly recommended.

I am looking at 3 brands of these custom digital plugs...Hear Pro, ESP, and Defend ear. Does anyone have any experience with any of them that they could tell me good or bad. I don't mind spending the money to protect my ears and be able to hear. I just don't want to throw it away either. Thanks for any help.

I doubt many people can afford $1k to $3k for multiple sets for a true comparison. The only hope is with a magazine or blog site that can afford to buy multiple sets. IMO, the only reviews that are of benefit are the ones that would say "this product is junk". Maybe if the digital earplugs could be compared to something like the ProEars Gold muffs or the MSA muffs?

I have been using ESP Classics since the beginning of the year. I don't think I would have ever tried them had I not won a certificate for them off a prize table. But if this pair eventually goes belly up, I will spend my hard earned money for another pair. They are AWESOME. I doubt I will ever use anything else.

• 1 month later...

Peltor TEP-100

I checked these out online and noticed they were rechargeable. (Which is great for me ... because) ... Otherwise ... I would likely end up putting in a new battery every usage (because of "my" light usage schedule and since most models can't be turned off). I also liked the idea that their carrying case will recharge them or I can do it in the car (with a USB adapter).

Sooooo ... anyhow ... the reviews looked good and I have been watching these online and noticed that they are on sale today at Amazon for $214 (10/1/2015). The previous "lowest" price I had found was at Botach ... $229 (their regular price).

Hope this info is of some value to someone that might have been thinking about giving them a try too.

Got me a set and have used them in a number of full day and multi-day matches. Work great and comfortable for me with the skull screws tips that come with them (you get 4 different sized tips).

Are you talking about the TEP-100? Do you have any experience with electronic muff style protection?

Got my digital in ear plugs from Sound Gear. They shipped them 2 days after receiving my molds. That's fast service. They worked excellent. Used them for two days at the PA State Steel challenge match. None of the loud noise from the shooting on 9 stages.

This comes up from time to time so be sure to search past threads for other recommendations.

Based in input from long range shooters, whose guns are often much louder than pistols, I've considered getting a pair of Gun Sports from Etymotic. But they are fairly expensive.

Got me a set and have used them in a number of full day and multi-day matches. Work great and comfortable for me with the skull screws tips that come with them (you get 4 different sized tips).

Are you talking about the TEP-100? Do you have any experience with electronic muff style protection?

Talking about TEP 100 I have used Howard Leight Impact sports for a few years good relatively cheap electronic muff, went to the plug style for the use of broad brim hats and the like.