Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a Shadow

Justinmac13

Here are the two targets included in the box for my SP01 Shadow Custom. The cross type target from CZ Custom does not list a distance on it. The computerized target from the home factory in Czech does list 25 meters.

Eric

8.0oz DA trigger pull... WOW!

If you did the work your self. With after market parts and DIY polish job. = spo1

Or you bought it from the shop.= shadow

Could you tell the difference in a real world test.??? ..... Not finger bangin in the living room, with a micrometer.... .???

I'm also told on shop guns. The barrel is reamed so it eats reloads better and recoil springed for softer loads.... I'm sure they replace the stock trigger return spring.....but haven't got confirmation yet...

Does shadow get a SS guide rod?

Shadow:

- No FPB

- Extended mag release

- Better sights

- Bigger/Extended safety

- Upgraded hammer for a nicer trigger

- Polished trigger components

- Comes with 3 mags instead of 2

You get quite a bit more with the Shadow over a standard SP-01.

Lowered weight hammer spring? ( lighter DA)

Extended lightweight firing pin, with lighter firing pin spring?

Are extended safety / decocker avaliable aftermarket?

do they replace part # 14 with. A spacer?

Do they leave out the fpb, or just deactivate lifter?

Do they change disco..?

Edited by biglou13

Shadow:

- No FPB

- Extended mag release

- Better sights

- Bigger/Extended safety

Do they change disco..?

- by far the biggest factor in a lighter DA is a lighter main spring...polishing goes a very long way with the DA as well, but the hammer does help some.

- Extended firing pin and lighter fp spring are NOT standard for a base shadow. CZC will add it however if you'd like.

- I believe extended controls are available through CZC and probably CGW

- Shadows have a wider sear, so a spacer is not necessary

- Neither. Shadow slides do not get milled for the FPB at all

Do they change disco..?

- I believe only the Shadow CUSTOM has a re profiled disco.

Hope this all helps

Edited by bruceg

Shadow:

- No FPB

- Extended mag release

- Better sights

- Bigger/Extended safety

Do they change disco..?

- by far the biggest factor in a lighter DA is a lighter main spring...polishing goes a very long way with the DA as well, but the hammer does help some.

- Extended firing pin and lighter fp spring are NOT standard for a base shadow. CZC will add it however if you'd like.

- I believe extended controls are available through CZC and probably CGW

- Shadows have a wider sear, so a spacer is not necessary

- Neither. Shadow slides do not get milled for the FPB at all

Do they change disco..?

i believe only the Shadow CUSTOM has a re profiled disco.

Hope this all helps

Great information, Thank you guys for all the explanations. I have ordered some parts from CGW and hope to tear into it and follow atlas's guide to see how smooth I can get my stock shadow.

FWIW..I ordered a stock Shadow from the CZC, ordered all of the CGW Upgrades, had local gunsmith install all of the parts and do the polishing. It has a significantly better trigger both DA and SA than my buddies' Shadow Custom from CZC for about the same money. YMMV however

Edited by hlpressley

As far as I can tell, the 85 Combat is the closest thing to the base model Shadow, but the 85 Combat has the thumb safety where the shadows do not. (costs more $$ to get work done on the safety models, about $50 for trigger and polishing work based on what I have been told and read) The 85 Combat can also be had for less than $600, so you have $300 less in the gun from the start to work with.

I have never seen a Shadow without a thumb safety. I think you must be thinking of a decocker, however, neither the Shadow or 85 Combat have a decocoker.

Edited by hlpressley

Here are the two targets included in the box for my SP01 Shadow Custom. The cross type target from CZ Custom does not list a distance on it. The computerized target from the home factory in Czech does list 25 meters.

Eric

;) pounds not ounces, feels like less

Eric

Eric

Eric

I understand what the intent was but that's not what was written. Just ribbing on the tech that filled it out

Eric

Eric

I understand what the intent was but that's not what was written. Just ribbing on the tech that filled it out

;)

bruceg.... i thought if you dropped the DA you needed extended light weight firing pin , light firing pin spring...for reliability due the lowered hammer power hammer/main spring???

does shadow have recurve trigger or the 85

i imagine since there is no lifter FPB the reset is shorter

justinmac13... im glad you are doing some work yourself.... i'd like to one day test my DIY tactical against a shadow. make sure to get a extra trigger return spring ( dont ask why) ... im interested to see what you change on the shadow.

im going on the record... i really dont think it is necessary to worry about SA pre travel, i think any issues can be fixed with training....

i've got a part deux coming from cgw now.

Edited by biglou13

I have an 85B (firing pin block) and a duotone sp-01 shadow.

The 85b pull weights are 8#/4# and the shadow weights are 7.5#/3.5#

The reset distance is almost 2x less on the shadow than the 85b which I was extremely surprised to find out when I compared as I was led to believe the reset of both would be near identical.

If you drop the DA weight by using a lower weight mainspring, an extended firing pin (length 2.500" roughly) paired with a reduced power firing pin spring is recommended. You can go two routes for that: cz extended with a rami spring, or a cgw extended that comes with a spring from Dave.

The shadow came with a trigger of similar shape to my 85B but has a hole for the over travel screw. I kinda wanted the 85 combat trigger since it feels nice on the finger, but that is a minor thing.

Edited by ZachJ

I too bought a 91154 stock shadow from czc two weeks ago. The test target showed a 1.530" group (best I've gotten from any CZs so far). The 91154 comes with a CZ 85C trigger with overtravel screw. The DA pull was fairly stiff until I put in an 11.5# hammer spring, then it got much better. I also dropped in a CGW ext. firing pin/spring. SA pull is not as nice as with a CGW hammer, but not hateful - still a little creep, but breaks nicely and no camming. Reset is fairly short - almost as good as my SP01 with CGW hammer & disco, but pretravel is about twice as long. I think the DA will get lighter when I put in the RP TRS and polish the internals like the SP01. I may not put a hammer and disco for a while to see how it runs after polishing. Shot a match with it last Saturday and it ran better than I did - the extended safeties were messing with my head since I had to adjust how my support hand grips the gun. Think I will swap the safeties out - I like the extended shelf as a thumb rest, but they sit too low for me and at the range, but not during the match, I accidentally flicked the safety up enough that the pistol did not go bang on cue a couple of times. The competition sights and the 85c trigger along with the extended mag release probably make the shadow worth around $200 more than an SP01 out of the box...

bruceg.... i thought if you dropped the DA you needed extended light weight firing pin , light firing pin spring...for reliability due the lowered hammer power hammer/main spring???

does shadow have recurve trigger or the 85

i imagine since there is no lifter FPB the reset is shorter?

For added reliability, yes extended FP and reduced power spring is indeed recommended. However, to my knowledge, the Shadows seem to run just fine without it.

Yes, without the FPB, the reset is considerably shorter.

I received my parts from CGW yesterday for my stock shadow, I couldn't wait to just try it out, so real quick I just changed out the main spring, recoil spring to 11lb added the SS Guide rod and put the extended fire pin and reduced FP spring in.... What a difference this has made. I also ordered the RP-Trigger return spring and a new Type-1 disco but I with as good as it feels now I am not sure if I want to put the type-1 in yet. I may just tear it down and do the polish job and shoot it as is for a while.

FWIW I put the 8.5lb hammer spring in and shoot federal primers, I only tested a handful of times but went bang every time and made a nice indention in the primer.... I am extremely pleased with the outcome of this purchase so far.

I use the 8.5lb spring and federals in my shadow and in 6k rounds I've had one light strike. I assume it was just a bad primer. My stock 2 eats up the federal primers as well. It's crazy because when letting the hammer down it feels so stinking light.

I use the 8.5lb spring and federals in my shadow and in 6k rounds I've had one light strike. I assume it was just a bad primer. My stock 2 eats up the federal primers as well. It's crazy because when letting the hammer down it feels so stinking light.

I agree, as soon as I put it in and pulled the trigger to test a few times I had to go out back and shoot it because I thought there was no way it was going to set the primer off. I had a snap cap in and it did not put a very good dent in them where with the stock hammer spring it made a very large indention in the snap cap... either way I was very pleased to hear it go bang without missing a beat.

So what route would you rather go since there are so many shadow options.

Plain stock sp-01 shadow with no wait time.

New mainspring

New recoil spring

Extended firing pin with lighter spring

Or just go with an accu and wait the 7-8 weeks and spend another $600 but everything is done and groups are theoretically cut in half?

im planing my next buy/build (already own a tactical)

after my lasts mods im confident i can DIY mod a stock sp-01 better than shadow

sp-o1 tactical with:

diy----hammer spring, firing pin/spring, fring pin retaining spring, reduced fring pin block spring, production legal hammer, 85 c trigger, f/o sight kit, reduced trigger return spring, 12 # recoil, and a polish job, thin al grips or other grips, stainless grip screws...

IMHO any day over buying a shadow!!!!

unless your a competitive bullseye shooter the sp-01 out of box is more than accurate enough

seeking shadow owners in north florida fro side by side tests

im planing my next buy/build (already own a tactical)

after my lasts mods im confident i can DIY mod a stock sp-01 better than shadow

sp-o1 tactical with:

diy----hammer spring, firing pin/spring, fring pin retaining spring, reduced fring pin block spring, production legal hammer, 85 c trigger, f/o sight kit, reduced trigger return spring, 12 # recoil, and a polish job, thin al grips or other grips, stainless grip screws...

IMHO any day over buying a shadow!!!!

unless your a competitive bullseye shooter the sp-01 out of box is more than accurate enough

seeking shadow owners in north florida fro side by side tests

A modded shadow next to a modded fpb model there's no contest. The shadow models can get much better triggers. Especially when you add the decocker in there. Because Cajun and czcustom say that a decocker model can never get as good as a safety model.

Not saying the decocker models can't have good triggers. But I think if you put a tactical next to a shadow the difference will be quite noticeable.

I agree you'll be able to tell the difference handling all three guns, in a showroom

in a pressure situation like shooting with timer, probably not be able to distinguish differences, unless your a pro shooter,

i'd like to test bill drill from sights on target, trigger prepped, and see if time and or accuracy improve.

This list is from automatic accuracy. I'm pretty sure the other "custom" guns would be pretty close to list.

• CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow w/3 magazines
  • Race trigger job with CZ Custom competition hammer, 13 mainspring, internal work and polishing, shortened trigger reset, 6.5# DA, 2# SA
  • CZ Custom short reset trigger system installed
  • CZ Custom extended firing pin and factory reduced power firing pin spring
  • Reliability package - polished ramp, breechface, cartridge rail, and a cut slide stop
  • Your choice of front and fixed rear sights - CZ Custom fiber, Dawson fiber, Plain black, CZ Custom fixed competition or tactical rear sight
  • Your choice of grips - VZ's, CZ Aluminums, CZ Custom Aluminums, etc...
  • Your choice of safeties - Wide, medium, or thin
  • Your choice of triggers - Black SP-01, 75B, 85 Combat new or old, etc....
  • Shipped to your dealer

im just uber satisfied with my gun and modification, the only thing that would make me step up would be accu bushing.

So what route would you rather go since there are so many shadow options.

Plain stock sp-01 shadow with no wait time.
New mainspring
New recoil spring
Extended firing pin with lighter spring

Or just go with an accu and wait the 7-8 weeks and spend another $600 but everything is done and groups are theoretically cut in half?

(since moding a stock sp-01 was not a choice)

my advice is get stock shadow....find a decent reload.... shoot the mess out of it..... get a timer shoot some more.....tune springs to reload and shooting style.........shoot some more...... DIY polish internals..... shoot some more....now decide on what you want more out of platform

my opinion is once you learn how to shoot it, or take the time to learn how to shoot it... you won't want or need the whole package.. and you could DIY the rest to truly have a custom gun.

Edited by biglou13

When I first did all the mods to my shadow it was brand new and when I compared it to others it didn't feel as good. However after 5k round the trigger on the thing feels like I'm plying on a stick of butter. The only thing I didn't do was change out the hammer because atlas swore by the factory hammer and it has never let me down. I probably could cut a little more off the trigger pull but I feel reliability if I change it out. Today I got a trigger pull gauge and my DA is 4.25 and SA 2

Edited by vixty