Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a Shadow

Justinmac13

I have been hooked on this forum and these CZs for a while now and am wondering what makes the shadow a shadow. I know the difference from the shadow as far as the manual safety and no fire pin block. Is there any other major differences? I ordered the shadow from CZC, part number 91154 and am second guessing if I would have been better off just ordering a CZ 75 SP01. Also, some of the other shadows I have seen have a stainless barrel, mine came all black? I know the color doesn't matter but can someone enlighten me on the differences.

Shadow:

- No FPB

- Extended mag release

- Better sights

- Bigger/Extended safety

- Upgraded hammer for a nicer trigger

- Polished trigger components

- Comes with 3 mags instead of 2

You get quite a bit more with the Shadow over a standard SP-01.

Edited by bruceg

Shadow:

- No FPB

- Extended mag release

- Better sights

- Bigger/Extended safety

- Upgraded hammer for a nicer trigger

- Polished trigger components

- Comes with 3 mags instead of 2

You get quite a bit more with the Shadow over a standard SP-01.

Thank you, I am very satisfied with the shadow and CZC was great, Ordered on a Tuesday and picked up from local gun store on a Thursday...

So does the Target Shadow just add grips and adjustable sight? and accu shadow grips, adjustable site and bushings? Also, any info on why the color of the barrel has changed from SS to Black?

My test target looks nothing like the ones posted on some of the other shadows. Mine was closer to 3" groups at 25m.

I don't think that they changed from SS to black. I believe that you are refering to the polished barrel of the Shadow Orange as oposed to the unpolished barell of the standard Shadow. (have to double check that this is the case when you upload the photos)

I looked at my test target again and it was actually 4" groups not 3". I have seen a lot of Shadows that are not the orange that have polished or SS barrels as well.

I understand it probably does not matter I was just wanting to know if a change had been made or why the difference.

post-60152-0-08708800-1440681158_thumb.j

post-60152-0-31201600-1440681168_thumb.j

post-60152-0-45746300-1440681181_thumb.j

There are many different Shadows. IIRC CZC offers a bare bones Shadow for less than $900 that doesn't have all the polishing work or some of the custom add ons done to it. Then you have the various versions of the shadow with trigger work, bushings, grips, etc. As far as I can tell, the 85 Combat is the closest thing to the base model Shadow, but the 85 Combat has the thumb safety where the shadows do not. (costs more $$ to get work done on the safety models, about $50 for trigger and polishing work based on what I have been told and read) The 85 Combat can also be had for less than $600, so you have $300 less in the gun from the start to work with.

I just saw the photos and I think that the black color barrel is a CZC supply only. I haven't seen any other shops, or CZ, offering the Shadow with this barrel.

My guess is that this is the same as the one CZ is offering, but without the slight polishing that makes the barrel look "silvery".

BTW, I do not think that any Orange has SS barrel, just finely polished barrel that looks like SS or chromed.

I'm not sure if the Shadows come with a special barrel, but my factory SP-01 barrel came black and the coating on it is so chitty that it looked like it had 1,000 rounds through the gun, even though it was brand new. I can see why someone may take the 5-10 minutes and polish the barrel up before the gun left the shop.

This was my concern that they were putting a "Shadow" slide without a fp block so it could be called a shadow, and then basically all the other lower end SP01 parts, Barrel, grips etc. Then i probably would have been better off just getting a SP01 and saving 300.00 and changing out the guts.

Look in the mag well. A shadow will be slightly beveled from the factory where a regular sp01 is not, if you want to see if someone slapped a shadow top on a regular lower, besides the mismatched numbers.

One of my guns has a ss barrel and one has a black barrel.

Edited by rowdyb

This was my concern that they were putting a "Shadow" slide without a fp block so it could be called a shadow, and then basically all the other lower end SP01 parts, Barrel, grips etc. Then i probably would have been better off just getting a SP01 and saving 300.00 and changing out the guts.

The sp-01 shadow frame doesn't have the fpb lifter so it has the pre b sear. Also the hammer is wider on the shadow to where it won't fit in the rear of a b slide. The hammer doesn't cam back on the shadow like a standard b hammer and it breaks cleaner.

The sp-01 shadow frame doesn't have the fpb lifter so it has the pre b sear. Also the hammer is wider on the shadow to where it won't fit in the rear of a b slide. The hammer doesn't cam back on the shadow like a standard b hammer and it breaks cleaner.

Thank you for the information and all the input from everyone else. Like I said I am extremely satisfied with the product and not complaining, I just was looking for an explanation why it seemed different than all the other ones I had seen pics posted of.

As far as test targets go, is 4" group about the average to expect from these? seems like the research I had did before I bought this they were expected to be quite a bit tighter shooting than this.

Thank you for the information and all the input from everyone else. Like I said I am extremely satisfied with the product and not complaining, I just was looking for an explanation why it seemed different than all the other ones I had seen pics posted of.

As far as test targets go, is 4" group about the average to expect from these? seems like the research I had did before I bought this they were expected to be quite a bit tighter shooting than this.

The best match gun in world only shoots as good as the person pulling trigger. ;)

Not saying you can't shoot. Just saying, this is why many companies have stopped giving accuracy guarantees. Joe Blow who shoots 500 rounds a year wants to get pissed because this $4,000 1911 he bought isn't on paper at 25 yards although they give him a 2.5" guarantee with the gun....then Joe Blow claims it's the guns fault and not his.

SP01 Shadow and SP01 Shadow Custom are two different things as well. (Shadow Custom has a lot of custom action work etc added to a base Shadow). Did you just order a Shadow without all the custom work of a Shadow Custom?

eric

The best match gun in world only shoots as good as the person pulling trigger. ;)

Not saying you can't shoot. Just saying, this is why many companies have stopped giving accuracy guarantees. Joe Blow who shoots 500 rounds a year wants to get pissed because this $4,000 1911 he bought isn't on paper at 25 yards although they give him a 2.5" guarantee with the gun....then Joe Blow claims it's the guns fault and not his.

"The best match gun in world only shoots as good as the person pulling trigger. ;)" I 100% agree and I do not claim to be a good shot, i know that the gun will out shoot me any day, I am just saying the Test Targets I had seen of others seemed to be much tighter than my 4" test target.

Erics4069, I did not have any custom work done on this one so it is bone stock. Is 4" about average for a stock shadow?

"The best match gun in world only shoots as good as the person pulling trigger. ;)" I 100% agree and I do not claim to be a good shot, i know that the gun will out shoot me any day, I am just saying the Test Targets I had seen of others seemed to be much tighter than my 4" test target.

Erics4069, I did not have any custom work done on this one so it is bone stock. Is 4" about average for a stock shadow?

if you look closely at your target is says distance 25 meters i believe? this looks like the computerized factory target fired in Czecheslovakia (sp).

The paper targets you see posted with actual bullet holes in them are from CZ Custom Shop I think and are fired at a closer distance and do show quite abit smaller groups but not really a good comparison. I'll try to check the distance listed on mine.

Eric

Thread derailment: Where can you buy a Shadow that CZ custom hasn't slicked up? Just a stock Shadow SP01?

that is what the OP ordered and recieved if you read through this thread carefully. An SP01 Shadow without the Custom work (part #91154: lists at CZ Custom Shop for 880$). Not an SP01 Shadow Custom (part #91030: 1300$).

Eric

Edited by eric4069

Here are the two targets included in the box for my SP01 Shadow Custom. The cross type target from CZ Custom does not list a distance on it. The computerized target from the home factory in Czech does list 25 meters.

Eric

post-24299-0-59213800-1440720065_thumb.j

post-24299-0-07289500-1440720104_thumb.j

if you look closely at your target is says distance 25 meters i believe? this looks like the computerized factory target fired in Czecheslovakia (sp).

The paper targets you see posted with actual bullet holes in them are from CZ Custom Shop I think and are fired at a closer distance and do show quite abit smaller groups but not really a good comparison. I'll try to check the distance listed on mine.

Eric

Correct, the test targets from CZ-UB are, to my knowledge, simply test-firing targets to check for function and maybe verify rough zero. They are not really representative of what kind of accuracy the pistol is capable of. I have seen some really whacked-out looking factory test targets, with the pistols really being just as good as those with much better-looking test targets.

The CZC test targets are more likely to be a good gauge of accuracy, though as noted, the distance isn't given and I don't recall what they run them at. I will say that the CZC target for my TS looks about like what I can do from a sandbag on the bench at 25yd.

Shadow over sp01 also has no lanyard loop on the main spring plug and a flat mag brake instead of curved in sp01. The other things above are correct. With the barrel you can polish the coating of easily on a bench grinder with polishing wheel.