Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decreased accuracy with plated bullets

ParaGunner

Anyone else notice a decrease in accuracy when going from fmj to plated bullets? I shoot a 1911 and when I was shooting fmj I could easily keep 5 shots in less than a 1.5" group. Now with plated I can get 3 shots in a 2.5" group with the other 2 shots being fliers and opening the group up to 4-5". This is a 25yrds. Anyone else have this experience with plated bullets? I think I'm going to pay the extra 3 cents per bullet and order fmj next time I order bullets.

I don't shoot .45 much any more, but the Xtreme 225 grain FP is the most accurate bullet (including premium factory loads) that I have ever put through my M&P .45. In my 9mms Xtreme plated bullets are as accurate as any other, and more so then most... 1.5 inch 25 yard from my latest M&P 9mm.

I don't see an issue with quality plated bullets. But, not all plated bullets are "created equal".

Been my experience back when I tried some plated bullets (.45, 9mm, .38). Never went back for more. The best plated bullets I have tried were simply OK.

Of course, I also find that JHP and L-SWCs are more accurate than FMJ-RN.

Try Powder Valley for Zero bullets or check out Precision Delta.

Edited by noylj

Been my experience back when I tried some plated bullets (.45, 9mm, .38). Never went back for more. The best plated bullets I have tried were simply OK.

Of course, I also find that JHP and L-SWCs are more accurate than FMJ-RN.

Try Powder Valley for Zero bullets or check out Precision Delta.

Yep, I think I'm going back to the Zero 200grn fmj.

I also have found plated bullets were accurate - at least, the Xtreme bullets are in my Springfield RO. I also use plated in my M&P40FS and have no complaints on their accuracy. Be sure you aren't over-crimping them since they are very sensitive to crimp. Much more so than JHPs or FMJs. The plating is thin and easily damaged. You only need enough crimp to take out the bell.

I use nothing but lead or lead coated for USPSA, but I use Ranier 180g plated for GSSF in my G22. I have had nothing but good results with Ranier bullets. I have two Civilian class wins with them.

I really like my plated bullets from xtreme, but then again I don't shoot matches like alot of guys on here do. I can load a plated round that outperforms any factory stuff which I shot for years well enough. That is plenty accurate enough for me better than I can run the sidearm really.

I found all my plated bullets liked being much closer to the lands. Added .040 in length, (2011 / 1911) and accuracy improved to 1 inch groups at 20 yards.

That was my experience. FMJ / HP or Moly are known much more for their accuracy but plated seems to work just fine for USPSA (for me anyways).

They are very crimp sensitive. I don't care to watch the crimp. so I just use Zero for jacketed and Bayou for coated. No issues with them. Having one less thing to worry about is really nice. The cost savings is not worth it.

I run Berry's plated in my Glocks and STI. at 1.135" OAL, 180gr FP, over 4.5gr UNIQUE they are accurate. In my STI I can get 1 - 1.5" at 18 yards (max range indoors).

Interestingly, during the bullet crunch I bought some AIM projectiles plated heads from Target Barn. They looked like absolute GARBAGE...alot of black spots all over them! I read that the molds they use have alot of oil residue on them and that causes the spotting when they are plated...UGLY...BUT...ACCURATE AS ALL GET OUT! Same load as my Berry's and I shot 5 rounds at 18 yds under an inch off a rest!...since then I've consistently had 1 - 2" groups at distance shooting freestyle two-handed....

For match ammo...ZERO heads all the way....best I've found...MONTANA GOLD's are my second best match ammo....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm using xtreme hollow point which are heavy plated in my STI GrandMaster 9mm open gun and they work really well. Not as good as JHPs but for 7 cents (on sale) each I bought 4,000. Load them just like the JHPs

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 8:29 AM, b1gcountry said:

Going from 1.5" to 2.5" at 25 yards is acceptable. I have more variation from a good day to a bad day.

Have to agree.   I've fired 1.5" groups one day, and 2.5" groups another day,

with the same gun and batch of ammo.    :huh: