Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tv commercials

dr2e

I really dislike commercial tv in general but now ad companies now seem to think that showing elderly folks as creepy perverts will sell more products. Think older kfc with "colonel sanders" and vw with the group of ladies. At least kfc wised up and changed the actor portraying the colonel. I am glad I can mute and turn my head away.

You have to mute these commercials. They manage to take control of your tv and turn up the volume for commercials to make sure you do not sleep through their spiel.

And now I've noticed that those blasted commercials that appear before you are granted access to desired Youtube content is doing the same "magic volume" trick.

Bill

I can't stand watching 'live' TV. I DVR everything (except football) and when I watch it skip through all the commercials.. saves 15+ minutes an hour

Interesting point I just saw: Netflix has the old Star Trek episodes from 1967 and the content length of the show is 51 minutes per hour. The Star Trek Next Gen of the 90's is 48 minutes per hour. Today's programs are 41 - 42 minutes per hour which means basically you have one minute commercial per two minutes of program which is the saturation beyond tolerance. With the 51 minute length, you get about 7 minutes program for each one minute of commercial or about 13 minutes program and a two minute commercial break for each quarter hour which is pretty tolerable. Today's commercial content set is about ten minutes content with five minutes of commercials per quarter hour which is ridiculous.

The other problem is that commercial breaks used to be a minute or two minutes max at the half hour but now they are typically 3.5 minutes minimum and 5.5 minutes max. That's why NOBODY watches live TV anymore.

I have dual screen TV and sometimes watch a half hour show during the commercials of a live show. You can basically watch a half hour show in the commercial time of a typical hour broadcast.

Ridiculous, they have pushed it to the point where it has become this bad.

Edited by bountyhunter

You have to mute these commercials. They manage to take control of your tv and turn up the volume for commercials to make sure you do not sleep through their spiel.

And now I've noticed that those blasted commercials that appear before you are granted access to desired Youtube content is doing the same "magic volume" trick.

Bill

The worst are the commercials they cram into the videos on the TV channels. You can go to NBC, ABC, CBS and watch the show on their site and the commercials suck.

On one site, they could pick up when I muted the sound on the player and would keep repeating the commercial until I released the audio. Sneaky, not sure how they did that. The other bonus is the commercials often didn't load correctly and crashed the playback.

In most cases, they are just cranking up the volume on the commercials. That's illegal now, but they ignore it. The other trick is to used audio dynamic range compression and clipping so they can crank the average volume level up to twice as loud as normal but still have the same peak level. But bottom line, commercials always have been and always will be WAYYYYY louder than content and it is by design.

Edited by bountyhunter