Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Maytag washer

benos

Twenty eight years ago I bought a Maytag washer, which I still have not spent one penny on. (It's still in my (vacant) place in Apache Junction.) So when my washer broke down in the house I moved into a couple years ago, I stopped what I was doing, drove down to the Maytag store and bought a new washer. And dryer as well, as the dryer that came with the house took about three hours to dry a load. So it's been a year and three months... I'm doing a load of laundry, I go out to check on it and guess what? It's locked up, and the laundry room smells like there's been a fire. I call up Maytag, and guess what? Labor is warrantied for one year, and parts for two. So now I get to pay about 150 bucks in labor to fix it because a seal leaked and screwed up the pump which burned up the belt. I guess the days of the Maytag repariman sitting around bored till ol age are over.

:angry::angry::angry:

He got outsourced. Now it's a guy in a turban and he is multi-tasking: he can sit and be bored for five or six different companies at the same time for a fraction of what you would have to pay an American to sit and do nothing..... :blink:

Big surprise - I think my piece of crap Maytag's on the fritz again. Here's the symptom's - start a load, it fills up and then just sets there. At this point I think it's the timer... but if I turn the water level dial all the way to the way clockwise to "reset," then it starts to wash. It continues to wash till its done, then stops at the beginning of rinse and just sets there idle again. Now, if I switch the "extra rinse dial" to "extra rinse" then back again, the tank drains and it spins out and it finishes okay. Weird. It's like there's some sort of "Brain" that's connecting the "water level," the "extra rinse," and the "timer" dials.

be

Those timer assemblies used to be really complicated. There's a motor that drives a wheel that turns and makes various electrical connections at different times. You can have one set of contacts burn and lose just one function. But the timer sits in standby until the sensor reads that whatever is supposed to happen has happened (like fill the tub, warm the water, whatever).

The timers are also REALLY expensive.

Edited by bountyhunter

Just one more reason I have never bought a new washer or dryer (or fridge, freezer, stove etc.). I always buy used. I don't think I have paid more than $75 for any appliance in my house. If it breaks, which doesn't happen too often, and I can't fix it (very common) I'm not out that much money. All those new ones look nice at the store, but I think I will continue to pass on them after reading this thread.

Edited by bierman

Always wanted one of those commercial types in laundry places...figured they had to be tough. No doubt expensive too.

Hell, after listening to George and Eric in another thread, I just want the busy laundromat! While we were camping in our house earlier this year, without furniture or a washer, we kept going to the laundromat to do our week's worth of clothes and towels. We must have spent $20-25 a visit ---- and the place was always jammed with most of the 150 machines in use.....

Bruce, I once owned a Laundromat and bought a new bank of 10 washers while I owned it. They arent that much more expensive than a consumer model. But I tell you that stuff breaks down all the time. I had it a year then sold it. What a nightmare!

Brian, bad thing is the Maytag has a defect that causes the problems in the transmission. Yep the transmission is warrantied for 5 years but the cost to take my unit in and the labor was about 350.00. I just went out and bought a new unit and it wasnt a maytag.

Since your original post Brian I think Whirlpool just bought out Maytag.

If so, after buying them out they should throw them out.

John (9x23) and I decided the problem is probably the water level switch. (Pressure switch) So this morning one arrived, UPS Next Day, courtesy of John. :D

But now it seems to have "fixed itself," because it cycled 3 loads just fine over the weekend. But my guess is the Pressure Switch is still the problem. Since the switch has a "reset" position - it must be a flawed design. ;)

Thanks John!

Brian

• 2 years later...

So I'm doing a last minute load of laundry, getting ready to leave on a trip - and guess what, there is water leaking out of the bottom of the washer, again. (I started this thread in March '06.) So the replacement part lasted about as long as the new part did. I vowed, when I replaced the Timer, that the next time something broke I'm throwing this damn thing out.

So I'll be heading down to the Whirlpool store when I get back next week.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Brian,

I bought all Maytag when I built this house in 2000. The washing machine has required repair and the dishwasher needed a recall. Whirlpool has purchased Maytag.

The part to repair the dishwasher was faulty or improperly installed. Long story short I was without a dishwasher for several weeks, from before the NRA National Highpower Championships to several weeks after. I wrote the president of Whirlpool a letter. I asked if Whirlpool's acquisition of Maytag meant that Whirlpool was going to improve Maytag's customer service to match Whirlpool's #1 rating? Or did it mean that Maytag, driven to a significant decline in market share was going to set the standard for Whirlpool?

The Vice-President of customer relations called me and arranged a brandnew replacement.

In my letter to him, I related how I had purchased Maytag because my parents had had the same appliances for 25 years in their home, with my seven brothers and sisters.

Good luck! His name is Fettig, Jeff. I located him in the investment pages by searching for Whirlpool CEO.

Thanks a lot Michael. Maybe I'll draft a letter while I'm on vacation. But if I get a new machine out of it, I'll have to have them include an extended warranty to so I don't have to pay to repair it every year!

:D

Sorry to hear about your woes Brian.A malfunctioning washer or dryer is just a low blow in my opinion.I guess I've got nothing but good things to say about the GE set we bought when we got our house.Not a lick of trouble so far in 5 years(knocking on wood).The washer has a unique method of supporting the basin.Instead of it being mounted on a "pedestal"in the middle,it hangs from 4 rods from the top.Very sturdy,quiet,and easy to work on when the time comes.