Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone chronoed the Vecton GM3 for 9mm

fellas

There is no published pistol load data for GM3 whatsoever that I can find - English, Spanish, or Italian. However, there are anecdotal posts on European shooting sites stating that GM3 is often used for pistol, and there is some anecdotal pistol load data that can be used as a reference. So, using GM3 is not for those who need published load data from the manufacturer or big name load data books to feel comfortable using a powder.

Here is what I have found. As always start low and chrono up looking for pressure signs -

GM3 in 9mm: (no pressure signs in these loads. Shot from 5" 1911 9mm with fully supported chamber)

125gr LRN - 1.115" OAL

3.6gr = 1050fps avg.

147gr SNS - 1.140" OAL

2.8gr = 860fps avg.

If you can, please post your results after chono'ing as a reference for others.

Edited by Bamboo

There is no published pistol load data for GM3 whatsoever that I can find - English, Spanish, or Italian. However, there are anecdotal posts on European shooting sites stating that GM3 is often used for pistol, and there is some anecdotal pistol load data that can be used as a reference. So, using GM3 is not for those who need published load data from the manufacturer or big name load data books to feel comfortable using a powder.

Here is what I have found. As always start low and chrono up looking for pressure signs -

GM3 in 9mm: (no pressure signs in these loads. Shot from 5" 1911 9mm with fully supported chamber)

125gr LRN - 1.115" OAL

3.6gr = 1050fps avg.

147gr SNS - 1.140" OAL

2.8gr = 860fps avg.

If you can, please post your results after chono'ing as a reference for others.

dont have a chrono ,

thanks a lot

andre

• 3 years later...

Review of this powder for 9mm?  How does it meter? Are the throws consistent? How clean does it burn? How smoky is it? 

I have really enjoyed Prima V, but it looks like that’s all gone for now. Guest’s load data looks quite similar to my PV load data...

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread.....   

I had purchased a full case of GM3 about 6 months ago (I should have bought a lottery ticket at the same time..) and I finally got around to testing it.   I filled my Dillon powder measure with it and started with a couple of throws, working up to 4.40gr (measured on a Gempro 250).   I was loading this under a 115gr Berry's round nose at 1.150" with an S&B SPP.   By the time I was 40 rounds in it had worked up to 4.65gr, but I decided not to fight with the measure and separated out the last 7 loads to chronograph.  Extremely consistent results, given that this was actually mixed brass (Win, FC, Speer mostly). 

Screenshot_20200427-234902.thumb.png.f2b8eba40444013c303d82164a08ea49.png

The powder is very clean burning, even in the blowback PCC, has little odor and I noticed no smoke while shooting.   Recoil impulse was surprisingly smooth, with none of the sharp jab that I attribute to Titegroup.   I paced off 40 yards and I was easily able to keep a double tap in an A zone sized area with a .11 split.  

I then loaded a mag for my CZ P10C with random rounds out of the box that likely ranged from 4.40gr to 4.65gr.    The results were not as consistent, which is to be expected, but all of them made power factor. 

Screenshot_20200427-232432.thumb.png.37426c0c62cf4657e5438a7cb246cc82.png

Recoil in the handgun was similar to Titegroup with a fairly good snap, which is also to be expected with a 115gr bullet and a fast powder.    I look forward to trying this powder with a 147gr bullet in my suppressed AR9 pistol, as it is far cleaner and cooler burning than Titegroup.   Case fill also seems to be a fair bit more than Titegroup, at approximately 2/3 full with a 4.65gr charge.   It would easily overflow a case with a double charge of what I was loading, or with a lower charge at the very least be very visible.   It certainly took longer than most powders I am used to to "settle in" and start throwing consistently. 

Load data is non existent with this powder, but, with the lot I have, comparing the book loads of Alliant Sport Pistol to it, the velocity and powder charge match up very well so far.

Edited by chevrofreak
Formatting

10 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

It is in the same family as Prima V and SV,  just without the cool name.  From the pics I have found they look identical, but the GM3 is supposedly the slowest of the 3. 

Thanks again!